★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Essentials for a good game?

08-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Essentials for a good game?

I think it's creativity. Look at those popular games like Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja, they're both very creative.
What is ur opinion?
08-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, according to my experience with publishers, they demand: replayability (or why players should back to the game again and again), game personality (catchy name/screenshots, etc) and content for 6+ hours of gameplay.

Currently playing: Fruit Ninja, Plants vs. Zombies, Caribbean Treasures, Samurai, Solitaire

08-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I second the top of my head. You sound like a mature producer.
08-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Saying a game has to be "creative" is like saying a game has to be "good"
What does that even mean?

One important factor is accessibilty. In order for a game to have broad appeal, it needs to be easy to learn how to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoygroup View Post
I think it's creativity. Look at those popular games like Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja, they're both very creative.
What is ur opinion?
08-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoygroup View Post
What is ur opinion?
Are they? Surely not.
08-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post

One important factor is accessibilty. In order for a game to have broad appeal, it needs to be easy to learn how to play.
I would also add it needs to be found by the consumers as well.

But i guess that doesn't necessarily make a game good or not, instead it will determine if the project/business is a success or not from a market penetration standpoint
08-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogo View Post
Are they? Surely not.
why not? I haven't seen games like them before. They did use the advantages of touch screen.

Love to hear ur opinion
08-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post

I meant "creativity" is one of the essentials but not the only one. I agree ur opinion that accessibility is very important too. Furthermore, I think chanllenging is also important, as we know both Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja are easy to learn how to play but hard to get high score.
08-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Here, this link should help you. Click the 'results' button to see the results of a 1000 person survey done over at boardgamegeek for the most essential features in an iOS board game app: http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/35...ures-of-an-ios

Even taking into consideration the specific niche of people who took this survey, a lot of the results were quite surprising!