★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pivot?

04-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Pivot?

Hey Gang,

Anybody going to take the plunge on this puzzler for $1.99?

There is a lite version you can try out first:
Pivot Lite

While at first it might appear as just yet another Slider game (slide a row or column until you connect 3 or more horizontally or vertically) but the unique gimmick is its namesake, pivoting which is spinning a 3x3 section in such a way as to make a 3 or more connection. So while you can just slide about to score points, the big points are gained from connecting lines from pivotting (the points for popping powerdowns or powerups via a pivot are much more as well).

The lite is a good teaser and left me wanting more...but having been on a bit of a recent app binge, I'm trying to hold off for at least a few days.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
04-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I like the game concept though the lite version is very, very limited. It's impossible to know how the game flows. It'd would be reasonable that the lite could allow us to play at least one full level.

Anyway, I'm a bit attempted.

Finally, I don't know why but the girl's game does not seem right (out of place):

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
04-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
I like the game concept though the lite version is very, very limited. It's impossible to know how the game flows. It'd would be reasonable that the lite could allow us to play at least one full level.

Anyway, I'm a bit attempted.

Finally, I don't know why but the girl's game does not seem right (out of place):

I think I read you, what is up with the girl in the evening gown?

I also think I get what you're saying there, CS, did they only give us a tightly timed mode because there isn't really that much more to the game? I can only assume the only way they could up the difficulty is make powerdowns more frequent and have the time bar countdown faster. At least it does look like when you get to higher levels you get a few more points per match, but who knows if just being able to play this game on a few different sized fields is enough.

My iTunes Reviews
04-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Mysterious forces compelled me to buy it!

Hey Gang,

Well I bit and I think I like it but it's pretty bizarre so I'm still not sure on my final verdict (so far I *think* I like it).

Assuming you've already seen the basics of play from the demo I'll go into aspects discovered in the full game.

It ends up that what we're playing in the lite version is the Level Mode of the game with one big key difference, in the full version each time you move up a game level an additional 30 seconds is thrown on the clock (you start with 1:30 on the clock). Leveling up gives you more time and more points per match but it also means tougher obstacles.

In the Timed Mode you just have 5 minutes on the clock with the only way to gain time being via the Bonus Time powerups.

The New Game Setup is kind of unique as well. You can choose to play one of two modes (Level or Timed) and then it is further refined with two more sliders, one for Board Size and then a second for Difficulty (Easy, Medium, Hard). Since Board Size is a slider I'm not sure if it is only choosing from a small, medium, and large or if there are many degrees in between.

Stuff there in even the lite version but that I didn't catch at first can be summed up as simply,

"Sure you don't HAVE to learn how to pivot to score points, but you better get it down pretty quick!"

Pivotted matches score you 3x as many points, are the only way to push up the level progress bar, and even make the Time Bonus powerup 3x as potent!

It may just be me, but while starting a pivot is easy enough, I still have a lot of trouble "steering" them.

Much like Trism, one of the obstacles are bombs you must diffuse before they blow up and instantly end the game. Something nastier about them in this game, however, is that over time they have the ability to change the colors of the squares surrounding them making taking them out even more of a pain in the ass.

My iTunes Reviews
07-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Game Impressions

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water...

Pivot is back as Pivot Deluxe:

This is still the same game for the most part but now:
-Works great on OS 4 and iPads (I don't think they've done any Multi-tasking/Retina support for it yet).
-Has Open Feint (6 leaderboards and some 28 achievements to unlock).

The developers even mentioned they hope to release an HD version (so I assume this means a separate app) next week, but to be honest, it looks and plays fairly decently on the iPad already.

My iTunes Reviews