★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Fridge Magnet Math app is available!

04-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Fridge Magnet Math app is available!

All,

Fridge Magnet Math is an app to test your math skills. Start it up and drag the fridge magnets to answer the questions, flip the card to move to the next problem.

Right now simple math, add/subtract or a combination of both is available. The maximum numbers used in the problems is variable, along with timeouts and number of cards.
( Working on v1.1 to add multiply and divide ).

Can you answer 50 problems in 2 minutes? 3 minutes? How many do you miss? www.karookasoftware.com to see a screen shot and direct link to Fridge Magnet Math in iTunes.

Anyone willing to try it out and review it? I have codes.

-Karooka
04-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi Karooka and welcome to Touch Arcade!

A maths game is always going to be a hard sell, particularly when it is up against games from other genres. However, there are many posters here (and I suspect lurkers) who have children and would be looking for a suitable educational game.

I have a confession to make. I am a dunce when it comes to mathematics. Nothing is guaranteed to make me break out in a cold sweat faster than asking me to add or subtract numbers. And lets not even talk about fractions, multiplication or that horror of horrors - long division!

When I saw the subject of this thread I wasn't going to read it. But the temptation to take a look and "scare" myself at the thought of anyone having FUN with maths was too great.

I took a look at game description in the iTunes store. From that I can see that you have put a lot of thought into the game. If I was looking for an educational game to help children or users of the game to learn maths, then I would be looking for the features you list in the description.

However, I do think you could improve the description by including a sentence near the beginning of the game description along the lines of:

"The level of difficulty for each game can be adjusted in the information screen."

I know that there is a paragraph that details how you can change the options (timeout, largest number, add or subtract, etc). But this is near the end of the description and if I were looking to for a game like this then being able to change the difficulty, questions, etc would be one of the first things I would want to know.

On the website it mentions that you can enter your name for the highscores. But it doesn't mention anything about saved games. Can you save multiple games for different users? I think that this would be a feature that most parents would be looking for. Especially if they have more than one child.

Good-luck with the game.

04-24-2009, 09:21 PM
No farts no sale!

what.
04-24-2009, 10:18 PM
04-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
A maths game is always going to be a hard sell, particularly when it is up against games from other genres. However, there are many posters here (and I suspect lurkers) who have children and would be looking for a suitable educational game.

However, I do think you could improve the description by including a sentence near the beginning of the game description along the lines of:

"The level of difficulty for each game can be adjusted in the information screen."

On the website it mentions that you can enter your name for the highscores. But it doesn't mention anything about saved games. Can you save multiple games for different users? I think that this would be a feature that most parents would be looking for. Especially if they have more than one child.
Thanks for the comments. Originally I created this game for family and friends who have kids either learning basic math or wanting to work to improve quick thinking with respect to basic math skills. I tried to design the user interface to allow the user to quickly answer the problems and quickly modify answers, if necessary. I will probably add to the description soon, I already have v1.2 in the works, which adds multiply and divide and I'm going to try to add saving scores to the web for tracking. Higher math is coming also...

The hardest part of this app was allowing both landscape and portrait modes! What a pain, but now that I have it all working, it seems easy.

As far as math, if I have a few minutes to spare, I love firing up this app and seeing if I can answer 50 problems in 2 minutes.

-K
04-27-2009, 09:00 AM
I might have to check this out.
I am after a maths training game to replace the one i had on the DS:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professor-Ka.../dp/B0012CQ7SO

It had a fantastic thing called the 'hundred cell' method... and i have yet to see an app that includes this.

This app looks pretty good fun though.
04-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliath View Post
I might have to check this out.
I am after a maths training game to replace the one i had on the DS:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professor-Ka.../dp/B0012CQ7SO

It had a fantastic thing called the 'hundred cell' method... and i have yet to see an app that includes this.

This app looks pretty good fun though.
The 100-cell method looks pretty cool, the only issue with the Touch/iPhone is that you can't "write" the answers like it looks like you can on the DS. I tried to use the fastest method I could think of for answering, by dragging the digits and I designed it so that it doesn't matter where you drag the digits, as long as they are in proper order left to right ( you could put the digits almost on top of each other ) it will interpret the complete answer as you intended.

I'm working on some additions to this game ( multiply/divide and online score keeping ) and other math type games as well, but I don't know if I'll stick with the learning type games or do something that is just mindless fun. The problem for me is ( forgive the pun ) that I like playing the math games myself.

-K