★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Ocarina, Worth the Buzz?

11-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
Ocarina, Worth the Buzz?

So Ocarina just broke into the TOP 10 paid apps...

is it worth it? why would i need to transform my phone into a musical instrument
11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
I think it's worth it. I guess it depends on whether you'd be interested in playing any instrument.

Check out the forums... http://ocarina.smule.com/forum/index.php

The community is growing like crazy with scores going up every few minutes...

11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
11-12-2008, 02:05 PM
an Ocarina huh?

is it an ocarina.......OF TIME!!!!!!
11-12-2008, 02:05 PM
That's cool, man.

A lot of people are being inspired to buy ocarinas by this app.

I've been wanting one and will probably spring for one at some point in the future.
11-12-2008, 02:11 PM
So is it a good app or not? I have really been on the fence about this one... I know it's only a dollar and i think i would get at least 5 min. of use but not sure about anymore then that...
11-12-2008, 02:18 PM
it's worth a dollar just to go around the globe and hear everyone playing that's the best part for me
11-12-2008, 04:05 PM
The big community providing ocarina scores is what makes it totally worth it. If you had to figure out on your own how to play the Ocarina it wouldn't hold much attention for most people. But there are about 150 scores available on their website (forum link) from random folks. It spans everything from Amazing Grace to Rick Roll. I'm trying to learn the Portal credits song, linked through this post here.

Definitely worth a dollar. It's also impressed half a dozen people at work today when I was practicing.
11-12-2008, 04:45 PM
I Love It

There are really two things I like:
  • First of all I can really play it and reading the music is easy. I can even memorize scores fairly easily.
  • Second of all, the experience of looking at the globe and all the lights representing iPhone users who have it, then listening to them play - even from the other side of the earth - is truly special as a social networking tool. I almost wish I could chat with them - but then again there are language barriers and privacy issues.

I highly recommend you try it if you tend to a. appreciate learning instruments or never really found yourself able to read music or play something and always wanted to., or b. enjoy the idea of listening to others learn how to play a very interesting instrument. By the way, this is also an excellent example of multi-touch capabilities of the iPhone - although some geeks (not me) have said it is not good for the phone to blow into the mic.
11-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlgeek101 View Post
There are really two things I like:
  • First of all I can really play it and reading the music is easy. I can even memorize scores fairly easily.
  • Second of all, the experience of looking at the globe and all the lights representing iPhone users who have it, then listening to them play - even from the other side of the earth - is truly special as a social networking tool. I almost wish I could chat with them - but then again there are language barriers and privacy issues.

I highly recommend you try it if you tend to a. appreciate learning instruments or never really found yourself able to read music or play something and always wanted to., or b. enjoy the idea of listening to others learn how to play a very interesting instrument. By the way, this is also an excellent example of multi-touch capabilities of the iPhone - although some geeks (not me) have said it is not good for the phone to blow into the mic.
1) it doesnt take a geek to not know that
2) this is what concerns me THE most with this app