★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

TapCat can has help?

08-05-2011, 09:01 PM
TapCat can has help?

We (TapCat) are three Norwegian developers who dropped out from university to make a game. We're very pleased with the result, but realize that having a good game is nowhere near enough to getting noticed in the huge US market. The game is doing quite well in the Norwegian App Store, but this i largely due to the fact that we have many Facebook friends with iPhones.

We know nothing about marketing, and would deeply appreciate any advice on getting into the US market.

A description of the game along with a few screenshots are available on iTunes:
http://itunes.apple.com/app/snakerace/id450038167?mt=8

A gameplay video can be found on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/RqcdEFi42HQ

Edit: The App has gone semi-viral in Norway, and is currently topped only by Angry Birds and Cut the Rope: Experiments in Paid Apps.

Last edited by TCAndreas; 08-05-2011 at 09:42 PM.
08-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Welcome to TA forums!

First of all, I think this looks very interesting. It's familiar, yet the diagonal slant, and binary movement make it unique. The speed of the game is also something new- honestly it looks to me like the kind of thing that would appeal at least to the crowd on this site. Nice work.

It's got a solidly retro vibe which I think is a good thing- but I also think you could play it up more- in the graphics and sound department. The 'rock' sprites could be a little more dynamic. Have you tried using primary colors with a vectory look and a glow (a little closer to geometry wars?) Some animated backgrounds and particle-y stuff would really help that pop. And some 8-bit-y sounds.

For the video you have, I'd get rid of that overlay that says 'lag is due to screencasting'. I wouldn't have noticed any lag if it wasn't there, so it just makes the game sound bad. Don't point it out, I wouldn't have noticed it.

Also- start a thread here on TA in the iPHone Games section about your game. I think people will be interested. Do the same on other big ios game forums!

Where's your website? If you don't have one yet...it's time. Start building a presence for yourself and getting the word out. Nice game- and I think another round of polishing will really push it over the top!

Games delivered fresh.

See AMAZING MeatBot! or visit our Dev Blog
08-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Great looking game!

I agree with milkman, it's familiar yet the diagonal slant makes it unique. Reminds me of an endless runner type of snake, maybe that was what you had in mind when you created this game?

The only downside I can see is the fact that after watching the entire video, I feel like my eyes can't keep up with some of the stuff going on in the screen. I guess that just means I'm getting old...

Ezmobo Games!
Check out our dev blog for sneak peaks at our upcoming titles.