Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 AM
iPad

Default Brain In Jar [Universal App]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Old 08-06-2011, 11:43 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Really, really good game with what seems to be a minor game flaw.

Graphics and art are excellent, as is the premise of the game. You control a brain on a cart that is trying to escape a lab, you are able to pick up clones along the way (seems to be 3 per level) which act as extra lives. You start with just the ability to jump/double jump but after a few rounds, you can speed up and slow down the cart. The game looks and plays great on the original iPad.

This seems to be an old school type game, the levels are short but when you run out of lives, the game ends and you must start at level one again. I have no problem with that but after racking up around 15 brains, I decided to quit and went back to the main menu only to discover later that I was back to level one with all of my extra lives lost. For a portable game, even a short one, I usually can't get through something in one sitting, so unless I am missing something, this needs to be corrected. I guess maybe I could have just gone to the home screen and it would have kept my place but there are no instructions on this.

At .99 I can easily recommend this but hope there is a better feature implemented for people that can't play through the game in one sitting.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Default Let me know what you think!

Thanks for the review, BazookaTime! I am actually addressing your critique in a soon to be released patch. I changed the "menu" button to say "new game". You can just leave the app running in the background and come back where you left off at any time. It's always good to get some constructive feedback from those of you out their playing our games. If anyone else has anything else they'd like to comment on, please don't hesitate to do so. You can send any feedback to @yahoo.com

Van

Last edited by javasodagames; 08-09-2011 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Wanted to properly address the reviewer.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:23 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

this one does look super interesting... the graphics look great... and the video really looks great... I might just have to buy this one tonight... =oD
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

So you will loose progress if your phone powers down? I wish we had a level select screen to replay levels and such. If that was coming I would buy it tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javasodagames View Post
Thanks for the review, BazookaTime! I am actually addressing your critique in a soon to be released patch. I changed the "menu" button to say "new game". You can just leave the app running in the background and come back where you left off at any time. It's always good to get some constructive feedback from those of you out their playing our games. If anyone else has anything else they'd like to comment on, please don't hesitate to do so. You can send any feedback to @yahoo.com

Van
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Just bought, and played the first 3 levels... And damn am I impressed! The graphics are nice, the physics are great, the buildup of movement features is nice, and works very well with the buildup/difficulty building of the levels... It's really a very polished game. The sounds are great too, I really didn't expect to hear the wheels if the cart squeaking... Hehe.

So far, I've only seen the green beaker power up thingy, and did try to play a stage on hard, so that blue spark thingy too... Not sure what that does... But I'm guessing it's a power up also? So 2 power ups in the game... But the level design is very good too! I'm loving the shelves that you need to jump through the middle of...

Anywho... So far... Great game! Really glad I decided to buy it, cause I know it's going to give me quite a bit of entertainment... I know I'll die a lot too, but you can get 3 extra lives in each stage, so you're aloud to die a lot... =oP

I'm pretty psyched that after I beat normal I can take on hard... I couldn't even get through half of the first level on hard the first couple lives I tried it with before quitting to come write this. =oD

If I come up with any suggestions I'll be sure and post them, but right now, so long as the levels keep expanding with the obstacles and I keep needing to use the slow/fast buttons more... I'm gonna really really like this one, even if it only has 2 powerups, and no enemies... =oD
Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Great little game. Made it to level 19 on my first run through. Lots of fun.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Default Game Impressions

Im not a big fan of platformer style games but for some reason I picked this game up and my God is it good!!!It is not too easy or hard and rewards you for persistence as the learning curve is not too steep. I hope this game is very succesful as the developer is obviously very talented and creative. Its been a couple of days sinceI played it so I cant give any detailed impressions other than I really enjoyed it, but I saw the thread and wanted to make sure I said Kudos. Good work.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Default We are glad it is being well received!

Regarding the level select/replay. This is a great idea and one that we had been kicking around early in our production. However, with the current gameplay mechanics, the goal is to escape the lab, accumulating extra clones along the way. With this in mind, making each level replayable proved to make the game too easy as you could just rack up lives on the easy levels then muscle your way through the others.
We are currently working on a major expansion to the game to be released in the future. You'll find that when you beat the current levels, the brain isn't quite done with his escape.

Re: sizzlakalonji....Wow! Level 19 on the first try is very impressive, I don't think any of us even accomplished that our first run through the completed game.

Thanks all

Van
Old 08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Came out of nowhere. Is this a running game or a platformer?