★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why is there so few iAd enabled free games?

08-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Why is there so few iAd enabled free games?

My perception is that not too many iOS games utilize iAds (display iAds in-game). Especially for free games with no paid version available, one could expect much more iAd enabled games.

Do you agree? Why aren't iAds more popular? Is it due to the service still being rather new, or is the profit very low for the developers, or are there other challenges with implementation?
08-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I've not used iAds before. But everyone seems to say the fill rate is very low.

Play Yam Yam!
Download some great music for your game projects.
Official Site | Facebook | Twitter
08-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Sorry, but what do you mean by "fill rate"?
08-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiva View Post
Sorry, but what do you mean by "fill rate"?
Fill rate is the percentage of ads shown verses the number of ads requested. So if 10 ads were requested, but only five ads were shown, the fill rate is 50%.

I recently launched Arcading and it's a free app with iAds. I like iAds. I think it could be more competitive, compared to other networks, but I still use it. The ads are upscale and professional looking.

My next app — Code named Project: Salvage — is going to be a free app with iAds. So, I'm not giving up on iAds. Although, I get the feeling Apple might give up on iAds. I think that would be unfortunate.

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.