Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 08-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Default iPhone game most similar to Mario 64?

I've looked trough the AppStore and haven't found anything decent in the field of modern platformers like Mario 64 and banjo kazooie.

Are there really no good platformers? Sounds strange since there are at least 10 decent RPGs and that is a much smaller audience.

Any tips are welcome
Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 AM
iPad mini

There are good platformers like the new Emberwind, Frogatto, or Cordy, but I'm not sure about the 3D platformers you're referring to.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:10 AM

The most important aspects are
-a lot of different elements, like different periodic changes to the character, eg flowers in super Mario etc
-collecting something to advance fitter into the game, eg stars in mario and jigsaw pieces in banjo kazooie
-different "worlds", different settings and in each world different objectives
-a lot to collect in order to get good highscore.

So, for me a good platformer isn't about getting to the end in a sidescrolling stage, it's about exploring and finding all red coins
Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 AM
iPad mini

You might want to try out Emberwind then. There's secret areas, a lot to collect, and powerups to collect on the way, plus finding new special abilities and there's little quirks in the game like talking to little gnomes that don't seem to do much, but add to points in the end.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Bugdom 2 and Otto Matic are pretty decent 3d platformers. Bugdom is most like Mario, while Otto is sorta like Ratchet and Clank.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 AM

I think the closest you'll get in the App Store is Rayman 2. The game released to middling reviews a while back, but Gameloft has since updated and greatly improved the controls. Now Rayman plays more like an action platformer, but I think it's the closest thing to Mario 64 you'll find on iOS (neither OttoMatic nor Bugdom 2 are are really platformers in the traditional sense).
Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I think the closest you'll get in the App Store is Rayman 2. The game released to middling reviews a while back, but Gameloft has since updated and greatly improved the controls. Now Rayman plays more like an action platformer, but I think it's the closest thing to Mario 64 you'll find on iOS (neither OttoMatic nor Bugdom 2 are are really platformers in the traditional sense).
There's a million of these threads.

What SZ said. Also try Soosiz or Castle of Magic. Toki Tori is nice but not side scrolling. Theres also Super Monkey Ball and Rolando.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 AM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnetSeven View Post
There's a million of these threads.

What SZ said. Also try Soosiz or Castle of Magic. Toki Tori is nice but not side scrolling. Theres also Super Monkey Ball and Rolando.
Yup, CygnetSeven was bang on the money with Soosiz. Castle of Magic however, feels unbelievably dated now (not in the good retro sense).

If you can live with the 2.99 ($4.99) price of entry, the excellent Giana Sisters has aged very gracefully and would make a fine addition to any self-respecting iTunes collection. Meanwhile, the utterly gorgeous Emberwind has already had one or two shouts and Rayman 2 is just plain boring. Lastly, if you want a properly polished platformer with a half-decent storyline, Elemental Rage is well worth a look too, but personally my three recommendations would have to be:

• Supercow: Funny Farm
• Pizza Boy
• Rolando 2

Supercow is utterly gorgeous, beautifully charming and nicely polished, and with tons of secrets and hidden area's it's stacks of fun too! Pizza Boy is old skool kool all the way and pleasingly challenging, while Rolando 2 is arguably the greatest iOS platformer to date.

There's been some great shouts already, but if you stick to these three (all of them if poss), you'll not go far wrong.

Have fun!

Last edited by Simon Potticary; 08-07-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Man, it's like you guys have never played Mario 64 but are still throwing out recommendations.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:40 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSporkWithin View Post
Man, it's like you guys have never played Mario 64 but are still throwing out recommendations.
Waiting for you to enlighten us. What is your list?