★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

A Fiery Pinball

View Poll Results: Do you like virtual pinball games?
Yes Maybe I'll like yours too! 13 81.25%
No You're wasting your time! 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll
08-07-2011, 11:44 AM
A Fiery Pinball

I started working on a new app. It's called "A Fiery Pinball". It's supposed to be a 2D virtual pinball game, with cool particle effects, explosions and perhaps some other cool features not normally associated with virtual pinball.

I started a developer log here...
http://photics.com/game-creation-log-a-fiery-pinball

What's interesting about this project is that the feedback is already pretty negative. Without even seeing the game in action some seem to think that this is a waste of time. Even I admit that this could be a waste of time, as being successful on the App Store is quite challenging, but I haven't found a pinball game that I like for Mac or iOS so I'm building my own. Even if no one else buys this game, the project is still successful if I enjoy and play the game... and isn't that what the world expects from independent developers? This project is not about greed. It's about passion. I like virtual pinball games and I'm setting out to make a fun pinball game.

But yeah, I'm still setting out to build a game that others might enjoy too. Do other people like virtual pinball games, or is this project pretty much a waste of time?

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.
08-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I LOVE virtual pinball games! I'd almost definitely buy yours if it looked at least decent. One question - it says in your sig that you're the author of the "Unofficial Gamesalad textbook" do you use that? If so, that would be a turnoff as Gamesalad games never work well with my iPod...

Username on every gaming network I'm on: kaboom132. I have tested 21 games. Will test your game if you wish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
I think I was high when I typed that. My apologies.

08-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom132 View Post
I LOVE virtual pinball games! I'd almost definitely buy yours if it looked at least decent. One question - it says in your sig that you're the author of the "Unofficial Gamesalad textbook" do you use that? If so, that would be a turnoff as Gamesalad games never work well with my iPod...
It states in your profile that you have an "iPod Touch (2nd Gen)". One of my testing devices is a second generation iPod Touch. That's the lowest device that supports Game Center, so that's where I've drawn my testing line.

I have considered using Corona for this. But because of the amount of particles I'm planning to use, I think GameSalad is better for the project. Plus, I'm porting the game to the Mac, so GameSalad actually makes more sense. Also, I'm one of the best GameSalad developers around... at least in technical matters. So, the performance should be pretty good.

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.

Last edited by Photics; 08-07-2011 at 12:20 PM.
08-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I've never had problems with Gamesalad, but then I have the latest unit. And I love virtual pinballs if they're good!
08-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photics View Post
It states in your profile that you have an "iPod Touch (2nd Gen)". One of my testing devices is a second generation iPod Touch. That's the lowest device that supports Game Center, so that's where I've drawn my testing line.

I have considered using Corona for this. But because of the amount of particles I'm planning to use, I think GameSalad is better for the project. Plus, I'm porting the game to the Mac, so GameSalad actually makes more sense. Also, I'm one of the best GameSalad developers around... at least in technical matters. So, the performance should be pretty good.
Cool! As long as it performs well and doesn't get filled with bugs (as other GS games have done for me), that should be awesome! Also, it's great that you support 2nd gens!

Username on every gaming network I'm on: kaboom132. I have tested 21 games. Will test your game if you wish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
I think I was high when I typed that. My apologies.
08-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Sounds cool to me, I'd buy it !

Love pinball games.....make it for the iPad too !

The iPad is just perfect for pinball games
I'm probably only one who voted don't waste your time, but I think it would be good if it has some kind of a twist on it. So I'd say go for it. Sorry for that vote I casted :P

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
Yeah It depends. I only bought one pinball game so far (one of the Gameprom ones-no retina) and ended up deleting it after getting my 4g. Unless you are bringing something truly unique the table, I'd say it boils down to eye candy. If it is really nice looking, and it is technically solid (bug and glitch free), I could easily see myself buying. Besides, I would kind of like a new pinball game on my device.

Currently Playing: Pocket RPG, Tentacle Wars, Oh My Heroes, Minigore 2, Mini Motor Racing, Eufloria, Swordigo
08-07-2011, 03:07 PM
I am always up for a pinball game but there are some pretty good ones already out.

Regarding the Unofficial GameSald app is it noob friendly or do have to know a little already? I bought the rights to a GS game and had someone make one for me but I am interested in learning how to do it.
08-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Whats wrong with the gameprom pinballs? I enjoy them on the ipad.