★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: LKS GameWorks
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 13.7 MB
  • Version: 1.02
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating: 4 (2)
App description: Battle your foes with the strength of your wit! In Scryptic, words are your weapons and strategy your friend ... "Scryptic manages to successfully turn Scrabble into a strategic combat situation ... This game is perfect for Scrabble lovers, who enjoy competition and want to add combat to the mix. " - TouchArcade (4/5 stars)

Use the game world to flummox your enemies! Will you immediately go on the offensive, or will you first secure your cities and fortify your word network?

Terrain can either hinder or aid your campaign. To bolster defense, build your word army on mountainous high-ground. Perhaps an enemy seeks to cross a river? Decimate his ranks by invoking a flood! As the campaign unfolds you will encounter obstacles to overcome - ice, water, lava and forests - before engaging the enemy. Careful word play will see you triumphant - burn through forests, or skate lightly over ice.

When words collide, combat is joined! Crush your enemy with a high-scoring attack or redeploy distant words for immediate combat duty.

Features:

- Expand your word army from your home city to conquer your opponent.
- Unleash the elemental forces of volcanoes, firestorms, droughts and floods with special elemental tokens.
- The subtleties of connotation. Strengthen your attacks with aggressive words (SWORD!) and your defenses with protective words (SHIELD!).
- Battle across 21 boards from the Ardessian Plains to the World's Edge. With tutorial, quick-play and longer games.
- Pass-and-play against another player or strive against the computer.

Red1's comments:

TouchArcade front-page review:
http://toucharcade.com/2011/08/07/sc...scrabble-wars/
08-08-2011, 02:13 AM
This is really quite inventive. Love the terrain idea.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

08-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
This is really quite inventive. Love the terrain idea.
I actually think this is full of great ideas. Unfortunately, I find it difficult to get excited about any of them without online play.
08-08-2011, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I actually think this is full of great ideas. Unfortunately, I find it difficult to get excited about any of them without online play.
Yeh maybe one for an update
what is the AI like are there lots of difficulty levels?
ok got it
words keep coming up that aren't english or arent real for example plookie, xi, lu, juds
it allows me and the ai to use words that aren't real which is a big problem in a word game
3 stars till this is fixed
5 when it is
some names seem to be allowed as well
st? thats a word? oh wait it isn't, god this is getting worse and worse.
thats the computer doing that not even me

http://www.planetminecraft.com/serve...creative-more/
Check out this sweet minecraft server with factions, survival, creative, 5 types of minigames (including parkour with 5 different courses) as well as skyblock and skygrid worlds!
Join with the address: mc.eternalempire.co.uk

Last edited by hamster787; 08-08-2011 at 05:45 AM.
08-08-2011, 06:44 AM
The plan is to include async play with iOS5, which has good support for this through game centre.
08-08-2011, 06:52 AM
Scryptic AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster787 View Post
Yeh maybe one for an update
what is the AI like are there lots of difficulty levels?
ok got it
words keep coming up that aren't english or arent real for example plookie, xi, lu, juds
it allows me and the ai to use words that aren't real which is a big problem in a word game
3 stars till this is fixed
5 when it is
some names seem to be allowed as well
st? thats a word? oh wait it isn't, god this is getting worse and worse.
thats the computer doing that not even me
A quick peek behind the screen. There are three levels of difficulty for the AI (easy, medium and hard) and they use successively larger dictionaries. The hard AI has access to the SOWPODS dictionary used for competitive Scrabble, which includes words like "xi" (a type of Chinese coin) and so on. Of course there is also the strategic element of exploiting the terrain and word connotations to consider.
08-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKS Gameworks View Post
A quick peek behind the screen. There are three levels of difficulty for the AI (easy, medium and hard) and they use successively larger dictionaries. The hard AI has access to the SOWPODS dictionary used for competitive Scrabble, which includes words like "xi" (a type of Chinese coin) and so on. Of course there is also the strategic element of exploiting the terrain and word connotations to consider.
hmm well this was against easy ai and 'plookie' was put down by a 'spy' i dont quite get why, after looking up in a few online dictionaries that did not come up as a word anyway i love the game i just think that maybe something needs to be sorted out about certain words etc. thats as important as gameplay imo

http://www.planetminecraft.com/serve...creative-more/
Check out this sweet minecraft server with factions, survival, creative, 5 types of minigames (including parkour with 5 different courses) as well as skyblock and skygrid worlds!
Join with the address: mc.eternalempire.co.uk
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Any plans for a universal version?
08-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Love the idea of the game and "was" enjoying playing it, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

The first game I played with the computer was going great until the AI challenged me with a word and the game stopped. I could move his letters around, but nothing I would push would move the game forward. I tried to push just about everything I could...

Now have to go with a full restart and see if the game will work the second go around.

Just seeing if anyone else had that trouble...

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Okay... Restarted and when it went back to the game it actually worked this time so all seems to be good there.

A few suggestions for an update.

First... please fix your fonts and the color choices. At times it is near impossible to read what's on the screen. We don't need fancy type. We get it, you've put a bit of a medieval theme to the game. The font can still be readable.

And with that, the background behind the fonts is terrible. You've got a non-bolded font against a dark background. It doesn't stand out and makes it frustrating when you've got to go back to check the rules on something.

You've got a very clever game on your hands, don't make it hard for people to see how to play it correctly.

The main play screen is also tough to read. You've done a good job with the tiles and how they read on the board, use that same feeling everywhere.

Second... Your tutorial needs to be better. You show a bit on how to play the game, but I didn't see anything about strengths of words or just how much that came into play until I was in a game. Then I'm seeing that something come up on the bottom of the screen (which was hard to read) that told me what the two words were strength-wise. I really had no idea if what I had was good or not the way it looked on the board. Or what it would mean in the long run. Basically I just try to put the word with the most points up on the board an hope for the best. The TA review where they say to write out a few notes was very accurate. I'm about to do that.

Multiplay is also a big key here.

Great idea for the game and I want to love it. Frustrating fonts and color choices teamed up with a weak tutorial make it hard to love... But I'm hoping to...

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5