★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Killer Edge (racing game)

04-25-2009, 01:11 AM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 488
Killer Edge (racing game)


Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by salsamd; 04-25-2009 at 01:36 AM. Reason: hq
04-25-2009, 01:20 AM
#2
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 371
nice looks fun! Is this a game that is still being worked on? Or has it been submitted?

My Original Music: https://soundcloud.com/no-fury
Gaming Device: iPhone 6 - iPad Air 2

04-25-2009, 01:29 AM
#3
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral75 View Post
nice looks fun! Is this a game that is still being worked on? Or has it been submitted?
Yeah it looks fun! Nice sense of speed, bumping with other cars, inclines/ declines and wide roads. Wish racing games would have this much fun and then add the great graphics.

Supposedly coming in May.
04-25-2009, 01:49 AM
#4
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Cali-forn-i-a
Posts: 2,302
Wow, terrible AI. If they release the game like that, there is something wrong. I know it was easy and everything, but you shouldnt hit first place in the first lap, not even see another car in the second, and then lap them all in the third.

dirty deeds and their dunderchee
04-25-2009, 08:35 AM
#5
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
Wow, terrible AI. If they release the game like that, there is something wrong. I know it was easy and everything, but you shouldnt hit first place in the first lap, not even see another car in the second, and then lap them all in the third.
It could be an easy level or an extremely skilled dev. I mean come one, he made the game!
04-25-2009, 09:37 AM
#6
Developer Response

Hi,

I'm the developer of Killer Edge and will try to answer as many questions as possible.

Kartel - thanks for posting this up - I'll admit I was not ready for this as I only did the video yesterday morning as a test.

KE is still being worked upon, though I do want to release it asap.

**** Admission *****************
Yes - the graphics could be a lot better
*****************************

However if you can get past this aspect then you might find a good fun driving game with cars that are modelled with a full physics engine, and which some may find tricky or challenging to drive. All the tracks are inspired by real life circuits, so quite a lot of time has gone into their design.

Rocketman919 made a good point about the AI in the video, however that is in Easy mode - also the cars need a bit of expertise to steer.

Currently I am thinking about adding touch control back in, after previously taking it out in favour of the tilt contol. Any thoughts?

Basically this is my first iPhone game and it is a port of a game that my company did for Broadcom, nVidia and Motorola - all showcased it at Mobile World Congress in different years. What you see so far has taken about 8 weeks.

I started doing this project because I wanted to learn iPhone development and I had a little spare time on my hands, and because I was a little disappointed by some of the driving games I had seen, particularly with the number of cars, and the car to car bumping/battling. In this aspect KE is not bad.

It will never compete with NFS or Firemint in terms of looks - I wanted to update the graphics, but I could not afford to do this.

If it gets approval and comes out I want to make it as affordable as possible.
04-25-2009, 09:38 AM
#7
the backgrounds are 3-D
wth is wrong with the cars
04-25-2009, 09:45 AM
#8
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoMindGuy View Post
Hi,

I'm the developer of Killer Edge and will try to answer as many questions as possible.

Kartel - thanks for posting this up - I'll admit I was not ready for this as I only did the video yesterday morning as a test.

KE is still being worked upon, though I do want to release it asap.

**** Admission *****************
Yes - the graphics could be a lot better
*****************************

However if you can get past this aspect then you might find a good fun driving game with cars that are modelled with a full physics engine, and which some may find tricky or challenging to drive.

Rocketman919 made a good point about the AI in the video, however that is in Easy mode.

Currently I am thinking about adding touch control back in, after previously taking it out in favour of the tilt contol. Any thoughts?
Both tilt and touch - trust me!

BTW what are you aiming for wrt the graphics?
04-25-2009, 10:14 AM
#9
Ok - will put touch back in

The graphic style is meant to be that of an arcade racer, though at present the poly count is not high enough, particularly with the cars. Also they need more colour/variety
04-25-2009, 10:15 AM
#10
Cars are 3d, but just not enough polys at present - would love to smooth over and add more detail