★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hostile Orbit...

04-25-2009, 04:36 AM
Hostile Orbit...

- Hostile Orbit (.99$)

looks quite interesting. here is an application description:

This action game offers you hours of excitement as well as sophisticated graphic and sound effects. Your mission is clear: Defend the sector you are assigned to against enemy spaceships and incoming asteroids. It is on you to wisely utilize armament, radar, and the shields of your gun turret to fight your enemies and fulfil your mission. Keep an eye on the energy level to avoid being damaged by your opponents and everything else that is out there.

i couldn't find any kind of gameplay video so here are the screenshots:

04-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Still no reviews.. is anyone going to TOFTT?
http://www.raixgames.com/horbit_en.html

04-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Reminds me of Pharos IV except the graphics in that game are more detailed. Also, I would assume there is 360 degree movement in this one but can't tell.
04-25-2009, 04:11 PM
no one is interested?
04-25-2009, 04:33 PM
This looks cool, but I'll have to wait for a couple reviews*cough* BigAlbie*cough*
04-25-2009, 05:40 PM
i finally bought it. will post my impressions soon.
04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pante View Post
i finally bought it. will post my impressions soon.
How is it? I haven't bought Pharos, hopefully this will be better .
04-26-2009, 12:26 AM
Review: Controls Fail Hostile Orbit

Controls can make or break a game especially when it's a shooter-type game. In the case of Hostile Orbit, they donít really help. The premise of a 360 degree space shooter for the iPhone/iPod similar to Pharos always sounds promising to me. Unfortunately, the devs for Hostile Orbit made the controls a lot more complicated than they need to be.

The graphics are decent in a semi-3D environment. The background images look good, and the soundtrack is tolerable. You have three modes of difficulty to choose from: Lieutenant, Commander and Captain. When you go into settings, it even looks promising that you can to either touch or tilt with calibration included. You can also choose to use either accelerometer or touch controls. I would strongly suggest using accelerometer controls, and youíll soon know why.

The gameplay itself involves rotating a gun turret to destroy enemies and asteroids. Of course, you even have to worry not only about asteroids hitting your outpost, you have keep an eye out for kamikaze enemies will intentionally crash into you. On the gameplay screen itself, the damage bar is top center along with a radar on the right side. At the bottom, you have a power bar which monitors the turrets charge status. Overfiring the turret will cause it to stall so you'll be without firepower for a few seconds. Shield buttons are also located there as well which activate shields. Mind you, the shields consumer energy so youíre likely to overheat your turrents. In the middle is your crosshair which also shows distance between you and enemy ships and asteroids. Hereís the problem, unlike other similar games that provide a fire button or allow you fire by tapping anywhere on the screen, Hostile Orbit requires you to tap in the middle of the crosshair at the target. Two problems: your finger blocks your target because you will likely miss a few times, and if youíre using touch controls, that becomes a confusing mess as youíre trying to rotate around the screen and fire all by touch.

I managed to play around with this, and you do get used to the game using accelerometer controls, but the devs need to just simply redo the firing mechanism. Itís way too sensitive and complex when they donít need that. Would I recommend this? At this point, I think you would be better off waiting for an update on the controls.

Last edited by Big Albie; 05-03-2009 at 01:57 AM.