★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Game design, artist, coding, marketing...all covered by one person

08-12-2011, 04:50 AM
Game design, artist, coding, marketing...all covered by one person

Game design, artist, coding, marketing...all covered by one person.
Have you guys ever try it?
I have.

Well, it is definitely pain in ass to cover all the process. As an indie developer, you might make a good schedule, and then you realized that you have to execute it yourself. How do you feel...

There would be a lot of work for a game from zero to release.

Quote:
--- Game: Chinese Zombies 3D ARPG! Click To iTunes Store
--- Game: Robot Bros. 3D Action+Puzzle Game! Click To iTunes Store
---------- 108km Game Studio ----------
08-12-2011, 05:54 AM
I did it with my first iOS game ShootStorm. It is a lot of work, but very satisfying to do once.

For my next game I have got a musician onboard, and am starting to look for a publisher. It makes sense to work with someone who knows what they are doing in the areas where I am weakest.

08-12-2011, 07:21 AM
I did it once and now I'm doing it again (Lander Hero). It is a satisfying feeling to complete a game, but too much work really. I wish I had a gfx artist and a sound designer on board
08-12-2011, 01:51 PM
I've done so before and am probably likely to do it all over again soon!

Aerox was produced entirely by me. I wrote the engine, did all gameplay coding, modelled and textured all 3d assets, wrote the music, produced sound effects and handled all the marketing stuff... Wow, I feel a little tired just remembering it all actually!

Producing a game yourself is probably only best suited to control-freaks (like myself!) who hate relinquishing any inch of control! Having multiple skillsets likely comes in quite handy too...

It can be a lot of work too of course, but the feeling of single-handedly bringing your idea to life and sharing it with others can often be a massive motivation!

Synoptical Studios Ltd
Website
Twitter
FaceBook
08-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synoptical View Post
Aerox was produced entirely by me. I wrote the engine, did all gameplay coding, modelled and textured all 3d assets, wrote the music, produced sound effects and handled all the marketing stuff... Wow, I feel a little tired just remembering it all actually!
I never realised that Aerox was made by one guy or that it was British. It's an awesome game so great work on that!

Up till this point I've always worked as part of a small team (3-5 people) but I've just embarked on my first solo iPhone project. I think working on your own is interesting because it's a completely different dynamic to working as part of a team. I personally feel like I've accomplished a lot more each week because I encourage myself to work on my app in the evenings as well as in the daytime. I guess I'd say working on your own is more fulfilling and rewarding but obviously a lot more challenging .
08-12-2011, 03:55 PM
I quite like the single approach. Which ever way you do things it take a lot of effort, determination, coordination and organization to achieve your goals.

One thing people haven't mentioned yet is that developing game by one's self means that all the profits come to you and it's like the old saying goes, you only get out of something what you put it. Never has this been more true. I find , like the rest of the people on here that I'm more energized by the whole process and will work deep into the night when I get in the "coding zone" and on a role where everything just clicks.

At the end of the day you'll always find the solution that best fits YOU and move from teams to single to teams. As long as you maintain the passion and desire for what you do, it's all good!

Fantasy Adventure eBook set on a magical writer's desk available for DOWNLOAD @ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9K3KTW
08-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieApp View Post
I never realised that Aerox was made by one guy or that it was British. It's an awesome game so great work on that!
Thanks! Yep, British too... thankfully not all of us are out rioting in the street...

I can certainly echo the self-motivating aspect of working evening/nights too. As a long-suffering insomniac, I have to admit a slightly smug satisfaction in knowing I'm getting a bit more work done while other developers are probably sleeping

Synoptical Studios Ltd
Website
Twitter
FaceBook
08-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Wish i could do it myself sometimes, but i don't posses the necessary art skills, so I stick to mainly coding.

It's also good at times to outsource as you can accomplish multiple tasks simultaneously
08-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synoptical View Post
I'm very interested what other indie developers (especially one man studios) are doing. I just have to test Aerox!

Polygon Play
Developer of Lander Hero and Lander Hero: Training Mission
08-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Aerox was great! You've done a great job!

Generally speaking, a work list of a game development is just like this:

Prototype phrase:
- Game dev doc
- Some simple materials, such as graphics, 3d models, sounds, etc
- Implement a simple demo

Alpha phrase:
- More art assets required
- Detail game logics and data structs
- Implement the basic game UI. Design and coding.
- Implement a playable game, with several scenes/levels

Beta phrase:
- Game Menu UI
- More game contents added. Such as tons of levels, more enemies, more arts of effects, backgrounds, props, etc.
- Background musics
- Score system
- Integrated with GameCenter
- Add IAP or IAD if needed

Production phrase:
- Icons, screen shots, videos
- Game descriptions, slogans, posts for popularize
- Test & debug
- Upload to Appstore
- Marketing. Popularize your app, send promotion codes, write posts, etc. Actually the cost of marketing is hart to estimate.

- Further upgrade.

Well, how much time did you guys spent to work through all the process?
Finally your game went out, featured by Apple, stand in Top 200 if luckily, even then your game might be replace by another very soon.

What I wanna talk about is, today the quality baseline of Appstore was growing too high, that requires much more work. The indie developers might be more and more difficult to afford this.

We might have to change the strategies.

After our new game Robot Bros published. (Actually I didn't dev it by myself. I've outsourced most parts of the 3D art. ) I just feel powerless when I'm facing to the newer task lists. That why I wrote this post. If I've misstated anything, please don't be hesitate to point me out.

Quote:
--- Game: Chinese Zombies 3D ARPG! Click To iTunes Store
--- Game: Robot Bros. 3D Action+Puzzle Game! Click To iTunes Store
---------- 108km Game Studio ----------