Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selachii View Post
If you could build a player ship in Phoenix, what would you make?
Maybe something very different like a fire breathing space dragon, giant robot insect. Or to keep with traditional spaceships, maybe a ship with high firepower but dual cockpits (2 hitboxes).
Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selachii View Post
User Madbrainz, who also posted a negative review on the app store, posted the details on his issue with Phoenix HD in the Bullet Hell group. (thanks for involving me tops2). There was indeed something wrong, so we spent some days investigating this issue. It wasn't very obvious, we first thought it had something to do with the mip-mapping, but in the end it was very specific!
You can see the issue only on the difficulty stars in-game (not in the menus) while running Phoenix HD on an iPhone 3GS/4, iPod Touch 4th gen or iPad1. They appear to be more fuzzy than they used to be.

The issue is a bit more complex than this (otherwise it would've been easier to find), but on the surface this is sort off what happened

Now for something else.

If you could build a player ship in Phoenix, what would you make?
I had a feeling it was just the stars, but I didn't want to get into it after being too harsh on Madbrainz >_>

As for a new ship, I would make something that would be a cross between the Shogun and Corsair. The main idea would be set in the ship not being able to use Alpha Strikes, or high powered weapons but the ability to hack/sabotage turrets (along with a basic set of dps weapons). You would do this by locking onto a specific turret with two fingers, like with Alpha Strikes and then the ship would start the hacking/sabotage. But during this process you cannot deal any damage, if you need to resume firing your main weapons you would have to cancel the hacking by touching with two fingers again. Weapon Powerups would improve the basic dps guns but also improve the hacking ability, to possibly hack two turrets at one time at the highest level. Turrets on bigger ships and turrets with high dps/speed would take more time to hack. Once hacked the turret would immediately fire a huge barrage of concentrated fire but then explode, resulting in an EMP like situation. High risk, high reward.

So the general idea would be to use the basic dps guns for dealing with small fry but pulling out the hacking for tougher ships and turrets. The hacking will test both dodging and endurance, possibly even more than the Shogun since you'll deal no damage while hacking. Another challenge that would be added by default is that this ship can only store and auto-use health/shield, unlike all other ships.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

=D
Glad you guys found the issue.
Can't wait for more ships!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM
iPhone (Original)

Send a message via MSN to Selachii Send a message via Skype™ to Selachii

Hah, that's very specific sapphire! Let me say first and foremost that I am posting as a player now, first and as a developer second. So don't take this the wrong way I think I don't like it very much because the 'controls' change and my first impression doesn't think 'WOOAAAH', because it involves 'less shooting'.
So, what about a flying 'victorian ship' with BIG cannons shooting forward with an angle. And when you move close, little pirates swing over to the enemy ship and destroy it from within? :> too much?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_neo View Post
I had a feeling it was just the stars, but I didn't want to get into it after being too harsh on Madbrainz >_>

As for a new ship, I would make something that would be a cross between the Shogun and Corsair. The main idea would be set in the ship not being able to use Alpha Strikes, or high powered weapons but the ability to hack/sabotage turrets (along with a basic set of dps weapons). You would do this by locking onto a specific turret with two fingers, like with Alpha Strikes and then the ship would start the hacking/sabotage. But during this process you cannot deal any damage, if you need to resume firing your main weapons you would have to cancel the hacking by touching with two fingers again. Weapon Powerups would improve the basic dps guns but also improve the hacking ability, to possibly hack two turrets at one time at the highest level. Turrets on bigger ships and turrets with high dps/speed would take more time to hack. Once hacked the turret would immediately fire a huge barrage of concentrated fire but then explode, resulting in an EMP like situation. High risk, high reward.

So the general idea would be to use the basic dps guns for dealing with small fry but pulling out the hacking for tougher ships and turrets. The hacking will test both dodging and endurance, possibly even more than the Shogun since you'll deal no damage while hacking. Another challenge that would be added by default is that this ship can only store and auto-use health/shield, unlike all other ships.
You know what I'm going to say. Have both the lasers from Raiden IV, especially the blue one. Lightning fighter has this (I think it's red), but it recoils too much when using touch controls. It'd be easier to implement than the pink one. I prefer the blue one anyway!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

What if you had something like an armored ship, it has a slower RoF but also has more health?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

haha, I like the toothpaste laser idea.

I think maybe instead of new ships you should think about introducing new modes of gameplay. I'm not sure how to implement them, maybe using chains, grazing to power up a super weapon/bomb, using the gold tokens to create an awakening a la galuda II. I don't know. just a suggestion!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:55 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

I hope people won't kill me about this idea.. How about mini-missions mode a la Jetpack Joyride? Kill certain number of certain types of enemies. Stay on the left or right side of the screen for x distance.. etc? I know Phoenix doesn't have the gold coin collecting system.. but maybe for a mission mode..you can add gold coin collecting just for that mode for each game. The coins don't have to be kept over..its just for the missions.

I'm not into endless runners at all, but the missions in Jetpack Joyride is what kept me coming back. Anyways..just throwing something random out there.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM
iPhone (Original)

Send a message via MSN to Selachii Send a message via Skype™ to Selachii

Haha, toothpaste lasers? Meh! We had something like that in a prototype of Flare Elite actually. We called it a laser-whip!
Keep the ideas going in all directions! It's great to read how you guys see this game in a different light. We have a very cool concept on the drawing board for a new ship which is far from all the suggestions, so don't worry, we're not running out of ideas. We always gather concepts for ships/modes/patterns etc. so we have a lot of material, just so little time!
We released a patch last week guys, it will take some time before a next one, but it's always allowed to dream/fantasize
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

hey now! they're nostalgic! raiden was one of my first shmups