★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

02-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Let me say... this is by far the best bullet hell shooter for ipad, period.
The graphics are amazing.

By the way, a campaign mode would be awesome; and you could add a crazy spaceship like in Tyrian... the supercarrot shooting sandwiches :P

I love pixel art!
02-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItouchBrett View Post
So.... Everyone uses the shogun....
The Shogun is more difficult to use, trust me, it's not a one way ticket to the top of the leaderboards. But if you are able to master this ship it has very high potential. I would not recommend it for new players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoresOfHell View Post
Let me say... this is by far the best bullet hell shooter for ipad, period.
The graphics are amazing.

By the way, a campaign mode would be awesome; and you could add a crazy spaceship like in Tyrian... the supercarrot shooting sandwiches :P
Thank you very much!
I love Tyrian! It may not be the most popular shmup and is hardly a 'bullet hell' game, but I have spent many many hours playing it. It also has the best multiplayer (on PC at least) mode of any shmup! Supercarrots etc. are fun, but I don't want to take this "awkward wacky" route with Phoenix. (I mean, a carrot shooting hotdogs and oranges... really... )

We might do a shmup with a campaign again at some point, but I don't see us adding one to Phoenix. The whole structure of the game needs to be focused on it and Phoenix is designed for epic, dazzling, short* bursts of action

*some people play Phoenix for hours a day though!

@edrijver

Try the awesome Phoenix HD, why not it's free
indie game designer @Firi Games http://www.firigames.com

Last edited by Selachii; 02-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.

02-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItouchBrett View Post
So.... Everyone uses the shogun....
Yeah that's the one thing that I didn't like about the Shogun update. Before it, there was a great deal of parity. All three ships were represented at the top of the leaderboards. The Shogun just has more scoring power than any of the others though. I still wouldn't say everyone uses the Shogun. Maybe everyone chasing a high score, but it's such a different play style I would imagine everyone with the Shogun still plays other ships just for some variety. The Shogun is almost like an additional game mode since it plays so differently.
03-05-2012, 03:13 AM
Just wanted to say you guys are all awesome, all 1.500.000 of you who are playing Phoenix HD. You have a combined number of 50.000.000 games played! That just blows my socks off! This does not include Phoenix classic, just HD!
Simply amazing and incredible, thank you

@edrijver

03-05-2012, 03:32 AM
Congratulations on reaching another epic milestone Phoenix HD will always be my favorite iOS shmup hands-down.
03-05-2012, 05:09 AM
Now how about phoenix2 for ipad3!
03-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Hah I don't think the iPad3 could handle the current Phoenix HD with all the assets on 'native' reso. We'll try though

@edrijver

03-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selachii View Post
Hah I don't think the iPad3 could handle the current Phoenix HD with all the assets on 'native' reso. We'll try though
wow! Hearing that makes me want to see what you guys see on your setups! =oD

**can picture it now... **

6 82 inch dlp hdtvs all stacked next to and on top of eachother inside a home theatre like setup w/ an SS 380 system hooked up, and a spiffy chair that plugs into your skull so you can control the ships with your brain... =oD

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Repulze, Ravenmark: SOE, Cordy, Incoboto Mini, One Epic Knight, Cardinal Quest 2
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;:
syntheticvoid
03-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
wow! Hearing that makes me want to see what you guys see on your setups! =oD

**can picture it now... **

6 82 inch dlp hdtvs all stacked next to and on top of eachother inside a home theatre like setup w/ an SS 380 system hooked up, and a spiffy chair that plugs into your skull so you can control the ships with your brain... =oD
in first person mode...?

---------------------------
Mom Says Get Married!!
03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
haha... I guess, if they could get the full over/under graphics, physics, and controls just right... =oP

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Repulze, Ravenmark: SOE, Cordy, Incoboto Mini, One Epic Knight, Cardinal Quest 2
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;:
syntheticvoid