Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-19-2012, 11:23 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

So I got 10,000 coins for having purchased the online leader boards in the previous version?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:37 AM
iPhone (Original)

Send a message via MSN to Selachii Send a message via Skype™ to Selachii

@teh_Ninja: correct

@poli: We have heard a similar report, it would be awesome if you could send your crash report to support@firigames.com (here's how to find those). If it is the same issue, we have already submitted a fix, if not, please send us your crash reports

Quote:
After plugging in the device, and syncing with iTunes, crash logs can be found in the following locations, depending on the platform:
Mac OS X: ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE_NAME>

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\<DEVICE_N AME>

Windows Vista or 7: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\<DEVICE_N AME>
Old 09-19-2012, 01:02 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Wait, did you guys drop the GC friends leaderboards?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Great update as others have mentioned.

I kinda miss the old list of high scores. Its easier to see how far you are away from the next set of scores for me to beat... Is it difficult to bring back the old list of high scores as an option?

While it doesn't matter, but is the option to set visible hitbox gone now?

A possible bug.. I normally play most games with the sound muted. I touched the preview ship button, and the video didn't seem to respect the volume setting, and continued to have sound even after I exited the video. It seems like the sound is using the setting for alerts instead of for the general volume settings. Is this a bug?

Otherwise, another great update.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I'm ranked 9th in Texas

I'm loving this update, especially the "black-and-white" near death thing.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:44 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

the black and white near death is amazing. been waiting for this update for quite a long time.. honestly, i thought it might not happen. glad to see it live, at last. thanks, Firi!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:38 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selachii View Post
We prefer to have the whole difficulty and progression system in the background. The locking of stars was previously intended as an extra layer on top of the automatic progression. However, over time it developed so that you needed to set the difficulty to your level to get the best experience. A lot of people didn't know or understand this so it remained on 1 star, not providing the proper challenge.
I'm also confused by this difficulty settings. Usually, I play all my shmups on the highest difficulty settings cause it is the most fun, however, with this game, you have to also be in the coin getting mode, so now the 5 star setting may be a little too hard.

So my setting is locked at 5 stars. If I reset, my difficulty goes to 1, but I won't be able to choose another right?

How does the difficulty go up after that? Do different difficulties represent different levels?

Or does the difficulty change after you pass all of the levels, then you get to the next higher difficulty?

I'm a little afraid to change my difficulty and getting reset, cause then I may not find the game as fun since the bullets will be slower and less I figure. And it may take a long time to get back up to 5 star difficulty.

I for one, am inclined to vote for putting back the difficulty change option, maybe you can make difficulties change with a pop up when you reach it, or maybe make the difficulty level change an option for like 500 coins or something.

I don't really know what will happen after a difficulty reset, so my views might change after doing so, but right now I am still scared of doing it, any other players reset yet? Is it worth it? And I'm sure getting coins on lower difficulty settings is much easer right?

And are leaderboards tied to difficulty settings? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:43 PM
iPhone (Original)

Send a message via MSN to Selachii Send a message via Skype™ to Selachii

Thanks guys, we're super happy with the black&white mode and glad you like it too. Trust me, it isn't easy to build something like that and keep it running at 60fps with thousands of animated particles on the screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_neo View Post
Wait, did you guys drop the GC friends leaderboards?
I wouldn't say 'drop', but they are indeed currently not available. It is scheduled for a later update. We had to manage our time on this, already huge, update. Phoenix HD 1.x did not work with iOS6, so the iOS6 release basically determined our deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
I kinda miss the old list of high scores. Its easier to see how far you are away from the next set of scores for me to beat... Is it difficult to bring back the old list of high scores as an option?
I don't think we'll go back to list views, probably just for the GC friends leaderboards However, we added the 'medals' to provide targets to beat. If you have the highest medal in your area, just zoom out, your medal targets will appear.

Quote:
While it doesn't matter, but is the option to set visible hitbox gone now?
Indeed, this is also something we had to postpone. If it comes back though, it will look different (better) than previously.

The menu sounds do behave differently, I don't know the technical details, but we know about it, that's all I can say at this point

Regarding the whole difficulty settings thing. Don't worry!

It's not easier or faster to gain coins on different difficulty levels.

The stars go up automatically based on the score you have achieved. Resetting the difficulty drops it back to 1 star and you will progress again depending on the score you get.

I think I wrote a very long piece about the difficulty/progression system of Phoenix HD somewhere in the past, but I'll re-iterate the relevant parts:
  • The more stars, the more score you get per enemy.
  • The more stars, the faster you level up at the start. This only works for a fixed number of levels (depends on the stars) and makes sure you do not have to spend much time fighting easy encounters over and over.
  • The more stars, the faster enemy projectiles move.
So all the stars are on the same Leaderboards and you can assume that the 1-stars are lower than the 5-stars Who knows though, maybe some guy plays an epic 5 hour 1-star game and approaches a good 5-star score
Hope this answers your question, feel free to comment though, I'll gladly answer everything on your mind

Last edited by Selachii; 09-19-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Old 09-19-2012, 04:20 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I have SO much to comment on, but I am simultaneously so engrossed in the game that I have no time to type. Quite the dilemma
Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Waahhhh.... Sob... Sob...

I was number one in Los Angeles, in fact, number one in the whole world yesterday night!

Now, I'm only 462 in Los Angeles, 4098 in the world!

Ahhh, fame is so fleeting! Sigh...

Signed off,
Connector -> former #1 player in the world!