Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 AM
iPhone (Original)

Send a message via MSN to Selachii Send a message via Skype™ to Selachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Tomorrow View Post
Thanks for your response Selachii and some great answers.
[..]
Couldn't one of the current drones or a newly added one just be a carrier vehicle in addition to it's current task? Say I have an EMP and pickup a life generator module, the drone just carries it. When I use the EMP, the life generator floats(or other picked up item) from the drone and goes to the main ship.
[..]
I'm going to give the control question some more thought but what do you think of the way weapons are stored in Shogun HD by int13?
Thanks
First in-first out sounds like the most reasonable solution. There would be no possibility to switch them, but I would prefer keeping the controls simple over adding functionality.

If there's one thing we learned is that players just want to keep it simple and press start/play/retry without too much regard with what's on the screen. Actually, a large part of the players does not know you can use stored power-ups with a tap. They just play and use whatever drops on them. Stored power-ups are only used to cancel the bullet that would otherwise kill them... which happens automatically

I'm not sure what storing mechanic you are referring to from Shogun HD, you mean the capsules? I only played the first mission in that game and wasn't particularly drawn to try more. Also, the regional score screen seemed broken, which put me off a bit as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:44 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Thanks for your responses Selachii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selachii View Post

Actually, a large part of the players does not know you can use stored power-ups with a tap. They just play and use whatever drops on them. Stored power-ups are only used to cancel the bullet that would otherwise kill them... which happens automatically
On [url]www.firigames.com/phoenix[/url] it does not mention in the FAQS, Overview or anywhere else that a a stored power-up is released with a tap so while I agree 100% players probably love simplicity they also don't have prior knowledge. I would have personally added a "Tips" or "did you know" section and highlight things there that might not be so obvious to the user if there is no instructions. Checking the analytics and time spent on the page regularly could determine if it was a mistake to add it or users aren't interested/don't need it

I believe the thinking was and is very very correct that the game should be simple enough to not need instructions unless it's cleverly done like Angry Birds where they tell you once for each new bird how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selachii View Post
I'm not sure what storing mechanic you are referring to from Shogun HD, you mean the capsules? I only played the first mission in that game and wasn't particularly drawn to try more. Also, the regional score screen seemed broken, which put me off a bit as well.
My apologies here. It's not a storing mechanic but how you access different weapons. You lift your finger off the device and the Shogun slows down and you see a display of different weapons, EMP's and the ability to add drones. I agree with you. Not sure what happened with that game but after playing a few times it doesn't hold the same interest as PHD.

Thanks and have a great weekend
Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 AM
iPhone (Original)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Tomorrow View Post
Thanks for your responses Selachii.
[..]
You lift your finger off the device and the Shogun slows down and you see a display of different weapons, EMP's and the ability to add drones.
It's my pleasure.

Shogun HD's weapon selection works rather well indeed. The mechanic is similar to the Trinity teleport+time slowdown. Kudos to the devs for finding an elegant solution for their controls as well! I appreciate those kinds of mechanics much more than Cave's blunt on-screen buttons for their copy-paste arcade games.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:06 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Danmaku Unlimited 2 just inspired me to come here and bug you guys for a sequel. I'm still enjoying Phoenix HD but I'd love to see what kind of amazing ideas you'd come up with if you were starting a new game from scratch. Personally, I'm still waiting for an iOS game with a Shoot The Bullet-inspired boss mode, but I'm not sure it really fits the whole Phoenix style, having set levels and all.

If you wanna take a leaf out of the Touhou book though, name the powerful boss attacks and have it flash on screen just before they use them. I always thought that was cool
Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 AM
iPhone (Original)

Wow this ysp buy must be the new type of bot running around here. I was about to reply until I noticed his double post and investigated a bit. Apparently he's just quoting the first post of this thread over and over. Weird Stuff!

That said, @MidianGTX, we are not working on a sequel of Phoenix HD at the moment. We are working on a completely new game (different genre) as well as on more Phoenix HD content. We feel Phoenix HD is a platform we can do more with and the ships have evolved over time to be more radical. I mean, the Mirage and Corsair were intended to be different, but still on par with the original Phoenix ship. The Shogun and Trinity were so different we had to split the Leaderboards and now that we've done that we can explore even more possibilities. We are going to find out how far we can take it, so all suggestions are welcome
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

thought this was Phoenix Wright HD.....
Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemerleb View Post
thought this was Phoenix Wright HD.....
Guess the 'bullet hell shooter' in the title didn't stick out enough, huh...
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 AM
iPhone (Original)

Hey guys, cool fact: we just passed 1 million players on the Phoenix leaderboard! That's the ship Phoenix! So that's 1 mil on the same leaderboard, woohoo! This means we finally have someone with a Diamond medal, as it is awarded to every top player per 1million competitors.

Thank you guys for competing and being part of this giant community

What's your spot? I am #345 with 10.344.345, pretty good no?

oh, and I almost forgot. We've doubled the amount of coins in the small and medium coin packs, enjoy.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Are you planning on releasing an Android version:/?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Holy crap i tried this game and i love it!

Damn you DU2!!! I was never interested in bullet hell til you came!!!

Now im lovin Phoenix HD too. Sigh...

My problem is i only have 2 Cave shmups. Oh god this will be expensive. Does anyone know if Cave gonna have a sale soon? :P

EDIT: Oops this shouldve been asked on a Cave thread.

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 03-08-2013 at 05:58 PM..