★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

05-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Haha, hmm, well Flare Elite had this laser overdrive that creates a laser sphere around the ship that did near infinite damage. It plays like one of those demolition balls

Anyway, the new ship will have some mechanics we are still tuning and changing. I can give you guys a reveal though:
<drumroll>
It will be a 1-hit=death ship!

Start your speculation engines on how that would work

@edrijver

Try the awesome Phoenix HD, why not it's free
indie game designer @Firi Games http://www.firigames.com
05-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selachii View Post
Less bullets, slow motion, or maybe bullet canceling.

05-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Haha, hmm, well Flare Elite had this laser overdrive that creates a laser sphere around the ship that did near infinite damage. It plays like one of those demolition balls

Anyway, the new ship will have some mechanics we are still tuning and changing. I can give you guys a reveal though:
<drumroll>
It will be a 1-hit=death ship!

An all encompassing explosion after which your ship reconstituted itself. A rammer. Ultimate toothpaste laser!
05-10-2013, 03:04 AM
Haha, you guessed it! Nah, in al seriousness, we have been gathering concepts for Phoenix 2 for a long while now and it will probably be a very different beast than Phoenix HD. But this is all irrelevant at the moment, first we're adding a new ship to Phoenix HD.... toothpaste laser you say? hmmmmmm

@edrijver

05-13-2013, 03:58 AM
@sumo: After some prototyping I regret to inform you, and Homer, that the toothpaste concept (inspired by Raiden II, I guess?), will be stored for later use

In other news, the new ship will be the hardest to play with and will give the shortest play sessions with the highest pacing so far (in Phoenix HD)

@edrijver

05-13-2013, 06:57 AM
Quote:
In other news, the new ship will be the hardest to play with and will give the shortest play sessions with the highest pacing so far (in Phoenix HD)
There are times where i can only play in short bursts, and the new ship sounds perfect for that.

Got a timeframe as to when we can expect to play the new ship?

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
05-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Oh, and with 'shortest' I don't mean you get less far progression wise The ship has very high potential for the highest possible score, but it will not be by my hand! The mechanics will be a bit more complicated/deep than the other ships, but this will simply provide a longer learning curve for teh hardcore (typo intended )

Since timeframes never work out I will refrain from naming an exact date. The update contains a new ship and a slight rework in how the Leaderboards are presented. I hope we can submit it in June.

@edrijver

05-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Phoenix HD 2.1: Meet the Phantom

Hey guys, I'm not really a double post kinda guy, but sometimes there's no other way Anyway, we have finalised the graphics and gameplay for the new ship! We've sent the ship description out for translation, so we're in the final phase before we're able to submit it! There are many fixes and optimisations, but I only want to discuss the new ship in this post.

Guys, meet the Phantom!

Quote:
A fragile ship with high firepower and the ability to go into Ghost Mode.
Sounds cool no? This ship has, again, more mechanics than any of the ships before it. The gameplay is very different and very cool! Here we go.
  • The ship is destroyed in 1-hit. No health. You will learn to play much more careful, my average scores have gone up for all ships since I started playing with the Phantom Holding a pick-up still cancels a killing blow, so this is more important now.
  • The Phantom does much more damage than the other ships, so encounters are generally shorter. The weapons are pretty focussed as well, so you have the ability to snipe down turrets a bit better.

Easy right? Let's carry on.
  • When the screen is released, Ghost Mode is activated. In Ghost Mode, the screen turns black & white, time slows down the Phantom stops shooting and becomes invulnerable! Very convenient for those 'impossible' situations Just put down your finger to take back control and continue destroying stuff.
  • Ghost Mode is limited to the amount of Ghost Energy you currently have. We have replaced the health bar with a blue bar that shows your current amount of Ghost Energy. Collecting power particles that used to give you health will now give you Ghost Energy. A full bar will give you 3 full seconds of Ghost Mode.

Ghost Mode, cool huh? That's just the basics, now for the mechanics that deepen the gameplay
  • When you have a full bar of Ghost Energy you go into Overdrive, getting a significant damage boost. How do you know this is active? Don't worry, you'll see when it is (It's not active on the screenshot below). You'll want to be in Overdrive as much as possible, enemies don't know what hit them! For comparison, it's about as strong as the 2nd stage of the Nightfury (out of its 3 levels)
  • You'll definitely have to use your Ghost Energy and generally you can use it to avoid a couple of bullets here and there. Since you can't move in Ghost Mode though it is possible that you get pinned down in a giant pattern where bullets are all over your ship. Fear not, when you completely drain your Ghost Energy an EMP is automatically triggered as a last resort to cancel the bullets around you! This EMP is only triggered when you completely drain your Ghost Energy, so think carefully about going out of Ghost Mode or staying in till the end. On top of that, the more Ghost Energy you use, the bigger the EMP! Depleting a full Ghost Energy bar will cancel all enemy bullets on screen! Depleting a small Ghost Energy bar will only cancel the bullets close to your ship. So to summarise: The more Ghost Energy you use to completely deplete your Ghost Energy bar, the bigger the radius for your bullet cancelling EMP.

Still with me? It's a lot to take in, but the best thing is, you don't need to know this information at all! When you're playing with the Phantom, you will be confronted with these situations and you will instinctively know what's going on! Too much energy? You get extra damage. Think you're stuck in a big pattern? An EMP will save you. The ship plays incredibly natural, just remember, when in doubt, release the screen!

Post any questions this sparked and let me know what you think!

Below you'll find a screenshot of the Phantom in detail and an in-game iPad screenshot of the Phantom in action. (note the Ghost Energy bar is still green, we hadn't changed it to blue yet )

@edrijver

05-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Holy shit! Can I say that? I'm completely blown away by the description, not to mention the screen and ship design -

I can not freak'n wait for this update! You guys rock! This is definitely a prime example of how to perfectly utilize Apple's update feature. I'm actually blown away that more developers don't do this exact thing (create a game the way they want to, and keep adding more content for years via IAP).

Thank you Firi!

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Cardinal Quest 2, Pixel Dungeon, Asdivine Hearts, Super Retro Bros., Storm The Train
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;:
syntheticvoid
05-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Waiting....impatiently for this!