★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Dan Fornace
  • Genre: Card
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 1.6 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Elementimals is a fun new card game experience for the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad! Inspired by games like Tic Tac Toe and Triple Triad, Elementimals offers a different and rewarding experience with each play. With bright detailed pixel art, local multiplayer, high score streaks and fun element animals, this game will keep you coming back for more!

d4nace's comments:

Hey TouchArcade! I've just finished a project over at Drexel University, along with graduating this past spring. I had a good time learning a variety of skills from 3D modeling and animating, to web design, to Flash and Unity as well as traditional design. Much of my work from my years can be found at my portfolio at www.danfornace.com/portfolio.

But the Digital Media program at Drexel is in the process of growing. They are planning to split the major into 3 separate majors - Animation, Game Design and Web Design. As part of the Game and Web majors, they are offering new courses in mobile technologies. One planned course is a Web Application class where students will be creating apps in Javascript and HTML which can be used on iPhones or iPods.

This Spring term, I signed up as a guinea pig for this type of course, doing a 10 week Independent study in which I would create a web application designed for the iPhone. Since I am a gamer at heart and always loved the Triple Triad game from FFVIII, I decided this would be a great chance to design my own version of it.

Then once the class was complete, I went ahead and used Phonegap to convert my HTML5 game into an iPhone App. It does have a few benefits as an app because now you can play it offline and if you leave the app during a game, you can return to the same place (as long as the device does not reset) and continue your winning streak.

How to Play
  • If you are on a PC, simply go to www.danfornace.com/elementimals
  • If you are on an iPhone or iPod touch, then the same link will bring you to a page that links to the App Store. Alternatively, you could simply go here for the App Store Page
  • If you have never played Triple Triad, the rules are fairly simple. You want to have the majority of cards on the board when the game ends. You place cards by clicking or touching one from your hand and then click or touch where you would like to place it. You flip cards to your color by placing a card with a higher number facing a card with a lower number. For example, if a card on the board has a 4 in the right side and the right of it is open, you would want to place a card with a 5 or higher on the left side.
  • Earn a Streak by winning games in a row. If you are on a streak and want to stop, you can only leave the page at the win screen or the menu. If you leave during a match, then your current streak ends.

• Match - Match is an bonus you get if you can place a card in a slot where 2 or more numbers tie. (Numbers can be yours or your opponents) If you do that then you will flip the tying number in a combo which will then flip any cards that they are higher than. Matches are good bonuses late game if you can set one up.
  • Ele-Slots - Ele-Slots are the colorful open spaces you see on the gameboard. They are tied to an element. If you place a card that matches, then all its numbers get +1 but if you place a card that does not match, then all the numbers get -1.
  • Combo-Mode - Combo Mode is unlocked if you get a streak of 12 or more and it plays as if every flip was a match. Every card flip in-turn could flip more cards. The game plays fairly differently this way.
  • Two Player - This is a local mode where you can pass the device and play with a friend. It alternates who goes first. My friends and I usually play that the first person to win when they go second wins =P

In this version I wanted to keep the random hands and the simple features. However, I have some ideas for expansion such as deck building and a booster pack system. If people do enjoy this game, which has gotten some pretty good reviews so far, then I might work with my friend to make a full-fledged game that uses PHP for player accounts, card owning, multiplayer, a currency system and possibly in-app purchases for more currency or some ways to change the cards (like alternate pictures for the cards you really like) and features like that.

But I am up for hearing if you enjoy it or how you would change it. I am also up for discussing ways that this game could be expanded. I could post my game design idea for the full-fledged Elementimals and you guys could help me get the idea cleaned up =)

Oh yeah, and I might post news and stuff at my site here.

-Dan Fornace
08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the forums, d4nace.

My kid will love this; buying now.

Good luck on your project!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

08-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Wow loving the web version. Will buy the full version in a few to support you! Would love to see deck building and possibly another mode. Maybe time attack or something of that nature?
08-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks djflippy and Arashi541!

Hmmm Time Attack could be interesting... Would that work where each player has a couple seconds to play a card and if he/she does not then the other person/computer goes? Would be cool and make mistakes more likely. Yeah I am thinking of writing down a few modes. I also have a few ideas to change up the cards to make them better.

I was thinking of playing with the elements more. Like some cards have numbers that are colored an element which gets plus one if they are facing that element. Like a water card could have a fire number, a number that is higher when placed against a fire card.

Another card idea I really like is that some cards have a small arrow instead of a number on one side. What that does is if you place it next to your own card, it adds 2 (or maybe doubles not sure yet balance-wise) to all its numbers to all its numbers and reflips so it can beat things it is touching. This would be clutch if on your last turn you only have your cards surrounding the open spot.

Anyway, keep feeding the ideas when you think of them. Over the next few months I want to write up a little design document based off this thread =)

08-15-2011, 02:40 PM

08-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Another element that would be good to see is maybe a Iron and Lighting element? Also Id kinda like to see the whole pokemon element thing come into play. For example put a lighting elementimal next to a Iron one and boom the number facing the Iron guy is doubled thus making it more strategic!
08-15-2011, 02:55 PM

Ahh yes. I had been thinking about doing the pokemon strength/weaknesses originally too. But I feel like the only downside to doing something like that is that the game would have a bit longer of a learning curve, because you would have to know which elements beat what. I could always start players out in a stripped mode where it is only numbers that matter and then add each of the rules/features over time. I hadn't thought of expanding past 4 elements, but I could see making some characters that are two elements combined. For example, earth and fire could make Iron which would count as both elements. Both strengths and both weaknesses. Or for lightning, Air and Fire. =P. But yeah thats a pretty interesting take.

I've also been thinking that a 4x4 grid might help for the competitive mode which would allow more strategy and time to build your cards in the way you want. Of course, hands would have to be 8 cards each then =P. And the person who goes first never goes last so the game might be a bit more fair. Hmmm... I might build a 4x4 test in the next few weeks to see how it works haha.

08-15-2011, 03:06 PM
The thing is most players have played pokemon at least once in their life so wouldnt have that steep of a learning curve. Love the 4 by 4 option that sounds awesome! Keep up the good work!
08-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Very nice game! I bought it too. 'Hoping to see updates.
08-17-2011, 02:43 AM
Thanks jackiemac!

Last edited by d4nace; 01-04-2012 at 02:42 PM.