★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best Camera for shoot a gameplay Video

08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
#1
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Miami,Fl
Posts: 26
Best Camera for shoot a gameplay Video

Hi guys,

I have developed some games for iPhone and iPad but the success rate in appstore is bad. So I think I should do some marketing things and thats why I need to make some gameplay video of my games.

Can you guys please suggest me some good mid-range video camera for shooting the gameplay video? I prefer Sony/ canon.

A quick help will be appreciated.

Thanks to all
08-17-2011, 01:24 PM
#2
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan044 View Post
Hi guys,

I have developed some games for iPhone and iPad but the success rate in appstore is bad. So I think I should do some marketing things and thats why I need to make some gameplay video of my games.

Can you guys please suggest me some good mid-range video camera for shooting the gameplay video? I prefer Sony/ canon.

A quick help will be appreciated.

Thanks to all
I used my personal Canon 550D, It's called Digital Rebel t2i in the US
price is around $600-700

I can record in Full HD without any problem.

here is a excellent review made by Lex Luthor

Youtube link | Pop Up

Developer Service: Need a Professional 720p Trailer ? : Vetasoft Animation Studio

08-17-2011, 01:53 PM
#3
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Miami,Fl
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetasoft View Post
I used my personal Canon 550D, It's called Digital Rebel t2i in the US
price is around $600-700

I can record in Full HD without any problem.

here is a excellent review made by Lex Luthor
YouTube: video

It's something like costly for me right now.. can you suggest any camcorder under $500 ?
08-17-2011, 02:37 PM
#4
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan044 View Post
It's something like costly for me right now.. can you suggest any camcorder under $500 ?
If you want a more professional video, I suggest you a spend a little extra.

This is the best price/quality camera that you will found on the market.

Developer Service: Need a Professional 720p Trailer ? : Vetasoft Animation Studio
08-17-2011, 03:07 PM
#5
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: London
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan044 View Post
Hi guys,

I have developed some games for iPhone and iPad but the success rate in appstore is bad. So I think I should do some marketing things and thats why I need to make some gameplay video of my games.

Can you guys please suggest me some good mid-range video camera for shooting the gameplay video? I prefer Sony/ canon.

A quick help will be appreciated.

Thanks to all
This might not be what you're looking for but have you considered running it in the iPhone simulator and recording it on your desktop using a screen recording program? There are even iOS apps available so you can use your iPhone/iPad as a controller for the iOS Simulator so you can use multitouch/accelerometer etc. Thats the way that you will obviously get the best quality video all at a low cost!
08-17-2011, 03:13 PM
#6
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
If you want a sharp picture, your best would be a DSLR. 550D, 7D, 5D will all do it. Traditional simple camcorders have a high compression rate, which will not react well on a luminant screen. Also, they usually have auto exposure settings, which will probobly give you a bright screen with dark surrounding.

DSLRs are very common nowadays, I'm sure you can borrow one from your friends.

If you manage to get your hands on one, keep in mind that you should adjust your shutter speed lower than 50, or you will get banding artifacts in the screen. Adjust the exposure according to your screen, and light the environment with external sources. I once shot a very nice looking video with 2 floorlamps with blue tracing papers.
08-17-2011, 03:40 PM
#7
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieApp View Post
This might not be what you're looking for but have you considered running it in the iPhone simulator and recording it on your desktop using a screen recording program? There are even iOS apps available so you can use your iPhone/iPad as a controller for the iOS Simulator so you can use multitouch/accelerometer etc. Thats the way that you will obviously get the best quality video all at a low cost!
You still need a camera if you want to show somebody playing with the real device.

Developer Service: Need a Professional 720p Trailer ? : Vetasoft Animation Studio
08-25-2011, 05:34 AM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieApp View Post
This might not be what you're looking for but have you considered running it in the iPhone simulator and recording it on your desktop using a screen recording program? There are even iOS apps available so you can use your iPhone/iPad as a controller for the iOS Simulator so you can use multitouch/accelerometer etc. Thats the way that you will obviously get the best quality video all at a low cost!
Could you please suggest some apps that i can get, which can be used as a controller while we record the screen on the mac in the ios simulator?
08-27-2011, 11:34 AM
#9
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: London
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpediredla View Post
Could you please suggest some apps that i can get, which can be used as a controller while we record the screen on the mac in the ios simulator?
I personally use iSimulate which is really quite good but I'm sure there are other options out there too!
http://www.vimov.com/isimulate/
08-27-2011, 12:46 PM
#10
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: The Yellow Brick Road
Posts: 186
The bits in my Colorfly's Trailer were filmed with my iPhone4 and a really shoddy setup... I think the trailer conveyed the message well enough. I used After Effects for post processing.

I actually have a T2i now so I'll definitely be using that for my next trailer, but the iPhone4 was good enough.