Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-17-2011, 07:39 PM

Default Fractal (by Cipher Prime)

Last edited by New England Gamer; 08-18-2011 at 12:40 AM..
Old 08-17-2011, 07:46 PM

Thanks to Not the Last Son of Krypton for the help with this one.

Fractal is an amazingly cool puzzler from the fine folks that brought us Auditorium and Pulse. I've had this on the Mac for a couple of weeks, not realizing it was coming to the iPad, and I can't wait to buy it again. I was happy to buy it for 10 dollars, this is a no-brainer for 2 dollars if you like cerebral puzzlers.

It is a bit hard to describe how gameplay works, but basically, you are presented with a board divided into hexes, each level begins with a number of pieces on the board. You select a hex and push any adjoining pieces away from you in one of the 6 directions radiating out from the hex. A new piece of the color you just pushed with is created where the adjoining pieces had been. The object is to make various hexagonal shapes.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by New England Gamer; 08-17-2011 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Added Embedded Trailer
Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM

Looking forward to play it.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
Looking forward to play it.
The trailer makes it look like an action game, and one of the game modes is fast paced, but the main campaign mode and the puzzle mode have no time pressure.

Here's a video from level 21 of the PC version. The game gets rather challenging by this point, and every move you make really counts. This will give a better feel for the gameplay, though. Keep in mind, this is a flash-based version. The new Unity version for the iPad release is a big upgrade in terms of visuals, etc.

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 08-17-2011, 09:31 PM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

While intrigued by the pics, vid and posts on this thread, I wanted to try out the actual gameplay since I couldn't glean anything from the vid or the game description. However, I was able to find the Flash version and play it. The online version sells for $10. The gameplay is both entertaining and interesting enough for me to purchase this when this hits US shores.

If you're on the fence, try out the Flash version here:
http://www.playfractal.com/

Good price point for the iPad 2. Great gameboard feel with some rave eye-candy. Good stuff, indeed.

Thanks, Misguided.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

No for iPhone?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
If you're on the fence, try out the Flash version here:
http://www.playfractal.com/.
Good call on the demo.

FYI, this is the last day the flash version can be purchased and it is on sale for a dollar (Mac or PC). Anyone purchasing the game will be entitled to a free upgrade to the Unity version when it becomes available.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Thanks to Not the Last Son of Krypton for the help with this one.

Fractal is an amazingly cool puzzler from the fine folks that brought us Auditorium and Pulse. I've had this on the Mac for a couple of weeks, not realizing it was coming to the iPad, and I can't wait to buy it again. I was happy to buy it for 10 dollars, this is a no-brainer for 2 dollars if you like cerebral puzzlers.

It is a bit hard to describe how gameplay works, but basically, you are presented with a board divided into hexes, each level begins with a number of pieces on the board. You select a hex and push any adjoining pieces away from you in one of the 6 directions radiating out from the hex. A new piece of the color you just pushed with is created where the adjoining pieces had been. The object is to make various hexagonal shapes.

YouTube: video
Too cool! I loved the PC game and didn't see this coming..although it isn't much of a stretch since they'd already made Pulse for iOS, so why not bring over this earlier release as well?

Oh, if the video didn't make the gameplay clear, you push rows of hexagons about to form solid hexagons of a single color. You only have a limited number of moves so you need to make each push count in order to earn more.

Last edited by LordGek; 08-17-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Old 08-18-2011, 12:35 AM

Plays great so far.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 AM

Let's get straight to the point. Great game but with the most ridiculous level advancement system for the campaign I have ever seen for a puzzle game. This should never have made it live for an iPad puzzle game.

For those who are unaware, it is a checkpoint system that requires 5 levels be completed successfully in a row. This means you need to get from level 5 to level 10 before you can fail in the campaign otherwise you have to restart on level 5 again. This wouldn't be that bad but the difficulty of level 7 makes it far too hard when you are learning the game mechanics.

This clearly wasn't playtested on typical iOS users - in the casual gaming market this is going to get some horrendous reviews because of this aspect. I'd be patching that code ASAP if I was the developer.