★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Flip Disc

04-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Flip Disc

Unfortunately, it seems that in the clamor of all of Chillingo's heavyweight games, this little gem got pushed to the side. I did a search for it in the forums, and only 4 threads came up, none of which were directly about the game. Anyway, Flip Disc is a "match the gems" game with a fun difference - the playing field is a series of five concentric circles. The game is fun, challenging and in my opinion unique. Plus, the music absolutely rocks. For more details, here's a YouTube video (sorry this is a review and not just a gameplay video, but I couldn't find one that wasn't a review - and no, that's not me):

Youtube link | Pop Up

And here's an App Shopper link: Flip Disc.

The game's only 99 cents, so if you like puzzle games, you really should give it a try. My only complaint is that I wish I could keep up with the gems coming at me from 8 different directions, which is my problem, not theirs

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
04-27-2009, 12:08 AM
intresting, it looks pretty cool, I may get this tomorrow

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*

04-27-2009, 06:44 AM
We don't have so much puzzles fans around here and most of them just post when there are promo codes...

Anyway, I've played the game and I really like the concept but it needs a lot of tweaks to get at least a 4/5 rating.

- Balls and bonus: they are really, really small; maybe drops, that can easily change form/size, could be better than solid marbles

- Colors: along with really small marbles the game is not colorblind aware and even if you can see colors you may find placing your device close to the eyes in order to see if you're doing the right thing

- Discs: this is where the new concept relies on and, for some reason, at least for me, the selected disc highlight is too subtle; it's very frustrating.

- Buttons: the controls by buttons are nice but, again, not well implemented; when you tap a button there's no visual or sound feedback so you never know for sure if you have changed or not the disc

- High score: not good: (1) it does not remember the last name and (2) the interface to input your name is simply terrible

For the concept I'd give a 5/5 but right now with all those flaws it's just a 1/5 or maybe a 2/5 top.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 04-27-2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Disc highlight
04-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
We don't have so much puzzles fans around here and most of them just post when there are promo codes...

Anyway, I've played the game and I really like the concept but it needs a lot of tweaks to get at least a 4/5 rating.

- Balls and bonus: they are really, really small; maybe drops, that can easily change form/size, could be better than solid marbles

- Colors: along with really small marbles the game is not colorblind aware and even if you can see colors you may find placing your device close to the eyes in order to see if you're doing the right thing

- Discs: this is where the new concept relies on and, for some reason, there's no way to see the current selected disc; you can move one disc at time but you never know what disc is selected because it is not highlighted or even indicated by a label (1st disc, 2nd disc and so on); this is very, very frustrating

- Buttons: the controls by buttons are nice but, again, not well implemented; when you tap a button there's no visual or sound feedback so you never know for sure if you have changed or not the disc

- High score: not good: (1) it does not remember the last name and (2) the interface to input your name is simply terrible

For the concept I'd give a 5/5 but right now with all those flaws it's just a 1/5 or maybe a 2/5 top.
This is a serious question - I'm not trying to be smart here - do you suffer from any color blindness? The reason I ask, and I'll admit to knowing nothing about color blindness, is because the "active" disc is a different color from the rest of the discs. I never had a problem knowing which disc was active. I will agree that the gems were a bit small, and it was hard to distinguish some colors (ex: purple vs. blue). Overall I just found it really enjoyable to play.

Eric Pankoke
04-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
This is a serious question - I'm not trying to be smart here - do you suffer from any color blindness? The reason I ask, and I'll admit to knowing nothing about color blindness, is because the "active" disc is a different color from the rest of the discs. I never had a problem knowing which disc was active. I will agree that the gems were a bit small, and it was hard to distinguish some colors (ex: purple vs. blue). Overall I just found it really enjoyable to play.
Now that you mentioned I took a close look and it has a highlight indeed but it's too subtle, at least for me.

The purple vs. blue is not hard to distinguish but it could be easier since we're talking about really small gems.

Don't get me wrong. I like the game but it is not as polished as it can easily be.

04-27-2009, 09:07 AM
I let the developer know about this thread, but I don't think he's a TA member at this point, so we'll see if he stops by or not.

Eric Pankoke
04-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi! I'm Flip Disc's designer and programmer. PointOfLight told me about this thread so I decided to join the forum and stop by.

First of all, thanks for all your comments.

Quote:
I agree, the gems in version 1.0 were small. That's why I decided (for version 1.0.1) to rearrange the GUI and enlarge both the gems and the discs so that they took all the available space. I think you'd agree with me that they cannot be any larger now without enlarging the iPhone's screen

Quote:
I hadn't thought about adding support for colorblind players; it's a very nice feature, so I'll definitely add support for that in a future version.

Quote:
- Discs: this is where the new concept relies on and, for some reason, at least for me, the selected disc highlight is too subtle; it's very frustrating.

That's weird, until now no one complained about the difference between the active disc and the rest of being subtle. Nonetheless, I take your suggestion of putting sound feedback for a future version.

Quote:
Yes, several people complained about this, too. I'll add support for "remembering" the last name in a future update (never thought of that, it's quite handy )

Flip Disc 1.0.2 should be available on the App Store in a few days (it includes two newer control systems). For those of you who prefer to try the game first, I've decided to release Flip Disc Lite, which should also be available on the App Store in a few days.

Cheers,

--Ignacio
04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi Nacho

I understand the size limitation.

The selected disc highlight is the biggest problem at least for me. I don't know how hard it is to enhance it or add an alternative. My suggestion, would be black borders around the green highlight to make it more visible or even a white glow. Anyway, anything that makes the current disc stands out. I hope I was clear.

The sound/visual feedback is for the buttons. This is not enough for the selected disc highlight "issue".

Please let me/us know what you can do about it.

04-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi Carlos,

Sorry for my late reply.

I'll include an option with a sharper difference between the active and the inactive discs in a future version. Can you PM me your iPhone's serial number and device name so that I can send you a build and you can check it out before I submit it to the App Store?

Cheers,

--Ignacio
04-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Hi Carlos,

Sorry for my late reply.

I'll include an option with a sharper difference between the active and the inactive discs in a future version. Can you PM me your iPhone's serial number and device name so that I can send you a build and you can check it out before I submit it to the App Store?

Cheers,

--Ignacio
Sure! You can count on me. PM sent.