★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: EDU Blaster by PHD Gaming (50th on free apps)

08-03-2008, 10:53 PM
EDU Blaster by PHD Gaming.

Hello,

While not a traditional game, I thought I'd promote my application a bit. The game has more of a focus on thinking than the usual space shooter game. The current version is very full featured (music, options, etc), and will be updated to include funtionality requested in the game's comments.

As it is free for the time being, what does one have to lose by giving it a spin? The link to the application on iTunes is http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=286537673&mt=8 , or you can just do a search for "EDU Blaster". Thanks for your time!

_ _

Last edited by PHDGaming; 08-04-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Apple screwed up my application, needed to change link.
08-04-2008, 02:19 AM
Hey i downloaded it and played with it for quite a while and it is enjoyable, however, it does seem to need just a little work:

first of all i didn't download this game before because i assumed EDU Blaster meant educational and it does, but i suppose the first thing i thought of when i read the name was "Math Blaster" which related EDU Blaster to a kids game for me, so i skipped over it but im glad i saw your post and downloaded it

would be nice if there was some kind of instructions on how to play the game, didn't notice the inequality in the corner for a little so i was just shooting random numbers ^^

also would helpful if it said something when you leveled up, im guessing the levels is when the numbers get bigger? and if that is when you get a to a new level it certainly takes quite a bit of time to get there

and my last complaint is that there doesn't seem to be too much of a challenge, i haven't played with it enough to notice but i don't believe there's a time limit at all, which means i could take forever being very careful shooting the numbers so that they satisfy the equation. If there was a timer it would make it a faster paced and more challenging game imho

i would probably spend more time on this game following an update that fixes these minor problems, also adding achievements always lengthens a games replay value, but for a free game for the iphone/ipod touch it's definitely something new and interesting
08-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks for giving it a try and for the feedback! I do appreciate it. I've also replied to some of the issues below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalWeather View Post
would be nice if there was some kind of instructions on how to play the game, didn't notice the inequality in the corner for a little so i was just shooting random numbers ^^
This will be in the next update. The description of the game currently does have instructions, but having instructions in the game would definitely help with it being understood.

Quote:
also would helpful if it said something when you leveled up, im guessing the levels is when the numbers get bigger? and if that is when you get a to a new level it certainly takes quite a bit of time to get there
Sort of. ^^ I guess I could add a notification to it - still thinking about it. You can also even click the "blue arrows" to get to the options screen to even stop it from advancing stages, or to start with harder equations. In addition, the game's main difficulty fluidly increases over time with more numbers or with them moving faster.

Quote:
and my last complaint is that there doesn't seem to be too much of a challenge, i haven't played with it enough to notice but i don't believe there's a time limit at all, which means i could take forever being very careful shooting the numbers so that they satisfy the equation. If there was a timer it would make it a faster paced and more challenging game imho
If you take forever shooting, you lose. At the beginning it is lenient enough for this to be possible, but after a few minutes, waiting to blast will often mean you have allowed too many correct answers to pass you by. This lowers your health and counts as blasting an incorrect one.

Quote:
i would probably spend more time on this game following an update that fixes these minor problems, also adding achievements always lengthens a games replay value, but for a free game for the iphone/ipod touch it's definitely something new and interesting
Achievements are also planned for the next version, as well as storing of the high score plus a score upload to show off to one's friends.
08-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHDGaming View Post
Thanks for giving it a try and for the feedback! I do appreciate it. I've also replied to some of the issues below:

This will be in the next update. The description of the game currently does have instructions, but having instructions in the game would definitely help with it being understood.

Sort of. ^^ I guess I could add a notification to it - still thinking about it. You can also even click the "blue arrows" to get to the options screen to even stop it from advancing stages, or to start with harder equations. In addition, the game's main difficulty fluidly increases over time with more numbers or with them moving faster.

If you take forever shooting, you lose. At the beginning it is lenient enough for this to be possible, but after a few minutes, waiting to blast will often mean you have allowed too many correct answers to pass you by. This lowers your health and counts as blasting an incorrect one.

Achievements are also planned for the next version, as well as storing of the high score plus a score upload to show off to one's friends.
Sounds good to me, I don't want you to think i hated the game or anything but with some of those adjustments it would be a great game to kill time while waiting in line or waiting for a movie to start