★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Does a lite version still make economical sense?

08-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Does a lite version still make economical sense?

Hey guys,

We have just released our first game onto the AppStore: 'Screen Invaders' and are considering releasing a lite version.

Has anyone here had any remarkable success / failure with introducing a lite version of their app?

Thanks

Screen Invaders is out now! screeninvaders.com/app

Tweet us
08-24-2011, 11:47 AM
The paid version of my game (Animal Lost) was no success. It was released May 5th 2011 and after one week it was getting about 10 downloads a day. At the same time I released Lite version which had about 1/3 of the content. Downloads of the paid version immediately quadrupled. Three weeks later the paid version was still getting about 20 downloads a day. My numbers are low, but I hope it helps. The effect of Lite version probably depends a lot on the game.

Polygon Play
Developer of Lander Hero and Lander Hero: Training Mission

08-24-2011, 12:31 PM
How many lite downloads were you getting? But yeah does help thanks

Tweet us
08-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Lite version got 1000 downloads during the first day. After that, downloads decreased really fast. Now after 3 months the Lite has been downloaded 4 times as much as the paid version.

Polygon Play
Developer of Lander Hero and Lander Hero: Training Mission
08-25-2011, 06:04 AM
i think in the case of screen invader i doubt a lite would make much of a difference to your sales
08-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
i think in the case of screen invader i doubt a lite would make much of a difference to your sales
Why would you say that,

Tweet us
08-27-2011, 01:12 PM
It's a way to get a little exposure, but it's not going to make a huge dent unless you have a really captivating hook. It can even be detrimental if you don't have one. Your lite version will eat potential sales. But if your full version isn't getting sales now it's worth a shot.
08-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGotIt View Post
It's a way to get a little exposure, but it's not going to make a huge dent unless you have a really captivating hook. It can even be detrimental if you don't have one. Your lite version will eat potential sales. But if your full version isn't getting sales now it's worth a shot.
Thanks for the advice! Sales are going fine now, we are just thinking of when we run out of marketing ideas really!

Cheers for replying though.

Tweet us
08-27-2011, 04:34 PM
The lite version is a fine line. You can't give too much content, or else they won't buy the full.

most unknown good game: peril canyon. Most known bad game: NFL
08-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Mr. Ugly had a great suggestion a while ago about making the lite version be unique content that adds to your game rather than just a watered down version of the actual game. Like a short prequel or something. That way even your current fans would download it and enjoy it, and there's no worries about giving away too much of your premium content for free.

I always liked that idea.