Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:20 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default Sonic CD is coming to iOS (trailer)

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/actio...cement-trailer

It's official now woo! and it's using taxman's retro engine shown off a year ago in a youtube video before sega jumped in and it was pulled.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM
iPhone (Original), OS 4.x

This is great news, as Sonic CD is considered by many to be one of the best Sonic games. I'm especially pleased that it will use the Japanese/European soundtrack as well.

For me, I'll probably be buying the XBLA version
Old 08-25-2011, 11:44 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Sonic CD may be the second best Sonic game nobody ever had a chance to play. The game has some problems which is why I think SEGA has been hesitant to keep re-releasing it the way they have the Genesis titles. The original release was buggy as hell and load times when switching between time periods were rather long. Hopefully since this is the first major re-release of Sonic CD in 18 years the game will be cleaned up a bit but overall it's still significantly better then anything related to the franchise since the late-90's. Nit-picking aside I can't wait to play some Sonic CD again, it's been years. Hopefully Knuckles Chaotix isn't too far behind.

Last edited by Spamcan; 08-25-2011 at 11:47 AM..
Old 08-25-2011, 12:02 PM
iPhone 5

Definitely confirmed now in the article on this site
http://toucharcade.com/2011/08/25/ge...coming-to-ios/
Cannot wait, a remastered, widescreen port of Sonic CD, with optional CD or Sonic 3 spindash.
The good times are returning!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:31 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

I'm looking foward to everything but the price.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:36 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights View Post
I'm looking foward to everything but the price.
God forbid Sega asks a reasonable price for such a fantastic game.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
God forbid Sega asks a reasonable price for such a fantastic game.
You say that, but I can see Sega pushing towards Square's FF Tactics level of pricing of like 10.99/$15.99.

Considering Sonic 4 launched for $9.99, this isn't too hard to imagine.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights View Post
You say that, but I can see Sega pushing towards Square's FF Tactics level of pricing of like 10.99/$15.99.

Considering Sonic 4 launched for $9.99, this isn't too hard to imagine.
A great port of Sonic CD that runs at 60FPS would be worth every penny of even a $19.99 price tag.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:42 PM
iPad

I must admit to being perplexed at this bit of news. More traditional Sonic is a good thing I guess but why recreate a game that, though it had its moments, also suffered from some serious design flaws? The time traveling aspect never felt coherent or pertinent and turned a neat game into something awkwardly close to a "fetching quest". The level layout wasn't as tight as the genesis outing, perhaps explained by it being built by a different team at Sega.

I have a feeling they might be investing all this effort at refactoring, instead of innovation, because of the nostalgia effect which has more weight towards popular appeal and in the end it being the best return on their investment.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:57 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghouls'R'us View Post
I must admit to being perplexed at this bit of news. More traditional Sonic is a good thing I guess but why recreate a game that, though it had its moments, also suffered from some serious design flaws? The time traveling aspect never felt coherent or pertinent and turned a neat game into something awkwardly close to a "fetching quest". The level layout wasn't as tight as the genesis outing, perhaps explained by it being built by a different team at Sega.

I have a feeling they might be investing all this effort at refactoring, instead of innovation, because of the nostalgia effect which has more weight towards popular appeal and in the end it being the best return on their investment.
The game was also extremely buggy, the game ending bug that killed you and caused the game to freeze up during the Collision Chaos boss fight was particularly annoying. The zones were mostly well designed, I think Wacky Workbench and the weird glass egg things in Collision Chaos certainly stand out as some bad level design though. Despite all the problems it's still a good game and one most people have not had a chance to play. It's certainly not the best in the series but it's relative obscurity has propelled it into "legendary" status. It's like Firefly, a lot of people are convinced that show was great only because FOX managed to handle it so poorly. All that being said, it's about time SEGA pulled Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix out of the basement for the world to see. The genesis titles have been recycled enough.

Sonic 2 remains the pinnacle of the franchise to this day and I doubt that will ever change.

Last edited by Spamcan; 08-25-2011 at 02:04 PM..

Closed Thread