★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Fist of Fury update

04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Fist of Fury update

Just did my compulsive multi-daily check for updates and Fist of Fury popped up. Dl'ed the update and played. I have conflicting emotions on this one. This is obviously an "homage" to Mike Tyson Punchout, and as such, can be looked at as a bit suspect. However, I respect the fact that this doesn't appear to be a cash-grab, but rather a developer who enjoyed the original a lot, and took the time to put out his own version since obviously a "licenced" version won't be coming out anytime soon. The fact that it isn't a cash-grab is evidenced by this very update, which improves upon the initial release quite a bit. The fighter intro screens and ring graphics have been smoothed out considerably. The ring colors change with each new fighter which is also a nice touch. A pause option has been added. The new feature I like the most is the option to tap your fighter while the other fighter is down to replenish your energy...nice touch. Another nice update was giving you three wacks at a fighter before you get sent down a peg...and only one peg now, not to the beginning. Some small suggestions I have:

1) For some reason, the developer kept the "" at the end of "You Win". While this may seem (and is) minor, for some reason, this just screams out bush league to me.
2) There are still some graphical sprite issues that could be cleaned up which would really make a more polished product.

Overall, I like the changes/improvements. The game difficulty seems to have been tweaked a bit. It seems easier. I got to "Wallin Palin" for the first time. I think this update will encourage me to break this game out more often.
04-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the impressions/info. I'll have to re-install it.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

04-27-2009, 04:33 PM
I still have it on my device so the update sounds promising.
05-06-2009, 10:55 AM
hey there,
thanks for the feedback and good words sizzlakalonji
Ive already submitted the next update to the App Store a few days ago so that should come out sometime this week (that is about adding dpad controls option and tweaking enemy difficulty mostly).
I think you brought up some good points so i worked on those things right away so they will be fixed in the next update coming out after the 1.2 one
Ill work more on the things people suggest and my own thoughts for improving the game with more updates as long as it sells, so more soon
05-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm sure I speak for many when I say how encouraged, impressed, and happy I am as a consumer when I see a developer who is willing to respond to customer imput. I also like the idea of supporting individual or small group develpopers, it seems like we're on kind of a frontier period for iDevice gaming. I hope that with "polished" big-name developers becoming more of a presence (which I don't mind as long as the product is good) that we don't lose the "little guys" who are trying to carve out their own niche. Thanks again for the updates!
05-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Another update! D-pad option, game looks and sounds even better. For this price, and with this much dedication to improvement, if you're looking for a fun, retro-styled, "punch out" inspired fighter, here you go. It just keeps getting better and better!
05-11-2009, 12:09 PM
haha, i wanted to post about the update going live, thought id search for threads on the game and bump one of those instead of creating a new thread and there i see you were faster than me
Thanks for the good words, im glad you like the update
Lets see what the general feedback is like for this one, personally id like to add more things that seperate this some more from punch out and ive started doing so a little with this update, if people like that ill go on on that route.
Basically id like to let the gameplay be more similar to the good sides of punch out but then also add some own new ideas.
Well, any feedback is welcome, so yeah, for anyone who has tried it let me know what you think
I hope theres some clear progress noticable to all at least, no matter if you think it should be better at this or that end or not
(As i said, i personally still have many ideas what all i think should be added or improved, just working on em one update after the other).
05-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I downloaded the update and I gotta say the control scheme works much better! I have enjoyed the game so much more. Although, I don't know if it's my imagination but it feels like the gameplay has also been tweaked. I felt as if every time I wanted to dodge a punch, I would get hit as soon as I was done dodging. And, is it my imagination or do the enemies only uppercut with the left arm? Also, about the new dpad, what is the difference between hitting up and down, do they both block? Pressing down seems much better than hitting up IMO.
As for suggestions, I would like to see the enemies' bodies have a significant difference. Without changing the mold you already use, you could make some guys' bodies thinner, others wider, some short, others tall, no muscles, etc. For example, now that the elections are over, you could make the final enemy a short and very fast guy who resembles the pound for pound king Manny Pacquiao. That would make my world!
I don't know what exactly what you are planning for future updates, but I have a suggestion that could work very well, especially in differentiating FOF from punchout. Now that games like God of War and Hero of Sparta are very famous, you could introduce a similar scheme these games use when encountering bosses. You are given a sequence of buttons you need to press in order to beat or fatigue the enemy. If done correctly, you knock out/down the opponent. Now that you have a dpad, it could be easily implemented.
Another suggestion would be to somehow earn a "super punch." For example, after dodging enemy attacks x number of times you gain a special punch which can be used by pressing both buttons together.
You could also add a countering mechanism. If you successfully block a punch, punching right away will deliver a fast jab or something else.

Anyway, I'll keep playing so I can come up with more suggestions.
05-11-2009, 06:01 PM
i waited to see how this game will be updated before buying... but now, when i already have fist boxing and punk justice, i don't feel like spending another euros on "fisting" game.
05-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themendoz View Post
I downloaded the update and I gotta say the control scheme works much better! I have enjoyed the game so much more. Although, I don't know if it's my imagination but it feels like the gameplay has also been tweaked. I felt as if every time I wanted to dodge a punch, I would get hit as soon as I was done dodging. And, is it my imagination or do the enemies only uppercut with the left arm? Also, about the new dpad, what is the difference between hitting up and down, do they both block? Pressing down seems much better than hitting up IMO.
As for suggestions, I would like to see the enemies' bodies have a significant difference. Without changing the mold you already use, you could make some guys' bodies thinner, others wider, some short, others tall, no muscles, etc. For example, now that the elections are over, you could make the final enemy a short and very fast guy who resembles the pound for pound king Manny Pacquiao. That would make my world!
I don't know what exactly what you are planning for future updates, but I have a suggestion that could work very well, especially in differentiating FOF from punchout. Now that games like God of War and Hero of Sparta are very famous, you could introduce a similar scheme these games use when encountering bosses. You are given a sequence of buttons you need to press in order to beat or fatigue the enemy. If done correctly, you knock out/down the opponent. Now that you have a dpad, it could be easily implemented.
Another suggestion would be to somehow earn a "super punch." For example, after dodging enemy attacks x number of times you gain a special punch which can be used by pressing both buttons together.
You could also add a countering mechanism. If you successfully block a punch, punching right away will deliver a fast jab or something else.

Anyway, I'll keep playing so I can come up with more suggestions.
hey there, thanks for your indepth feedback
Im glad you like the new control scheme, and yeah, i like that one way more than the old one, too
It allows acting out the different moves much better and also gives room for more moves to add in there so ill surely add some more attack types with future updates.
Yeah, ive also tweaked the gameplay some, still doodling around some on that end to find a good balance between challenging gameplay and still leaving enough time to react on enemy moves.
Youre right, the enemy guys could use some more variety in their attack types and body shapes so ill work on that for the next update.
I like your suggestions for the countering, quick time event and super punch like moves so ill work on those, too.
Regarding blocking high and ducking: right now ducking is pretty much always the better choice, but im working on the player getting fatigued when dancing around too much so then one would have to choose more wisely how often to dodge/duck and when to block.

To pante: Yeah, i understand youre only into a limited amount of fighting games at a time, well, ill work on making FoF into one of the prefered ones