★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Saucelifter too hard

04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Saucelifter too hard

To dev -

Please please PLEASE make it blimmin easier!!!!

I love this game, but after sortie 1, just on normal level, I get creamed each time. Every time. Can't even land to pick up a single guy. All of a sudden on level 2 it gets insainly difficult. It's really putting me off the game.

What's going on? Am i doing it wrong? Why is it too hard? Those missiles get me within seconds every time. Why? Am I not doing it right? Surely the difficulty level between stage 1 & 2 shouldn't be this great?

Thank you

Last edited by sjleworthy; 04-27-2009 at 05:09 PM.
04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Just practice on easy.
Remember that the left and right lasers shoot the turrents and the bunkers where your little friends are. The bottom laser shoots the tanks.
Try to swoops in from above and come low to the ground to destroy the turrets.
When the missles that follow are trailing you, fly away quickly while shooting backwards to kill them.
I assure you Easy mode isnt to hard, you just got to work on it. I started with easy until I rescued all the aliens, which ends the level. Now I'm working on Normal mode. You just have to practice.
Good Luck!

04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah I regret getting this. So hard even on easy.
What I think is hard is maybe the tilt controls?
I can't change the angle or sensitivity.

When I play the game I always have trouble landing smoothly and shooting the little houses so those people can escape.
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes you can change the tilt sensitivity. Go to options, controls, tilt.
Just practice a little. Its a great game.
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
I hate the shooting controls personally.
04-27-2009, 06:56 PM
I am here, and listening. First off... make sure you give the tutorial a few spins. You can't run out of lives, and it explains the shot angles etc.

Easy mode is challenging initially, but once you've learned the controls its good to go.

Tell me... what problems are you having with the tilt and/or firing? How can I better clarify how these work in the tutorial? Do you know how the auto-calibrate works, when you start the game or pause/unpause?

Granted, the gameplay is more "core" than "casual," but I think once you learn the basics you'll find it is a very well balanced bit of action. Also, dying is half the fun (in my opinion) as there are lots of crazy situations that take you down, and many others that you scrape through by a hair. I still enjoy playing my own game because of this trait.

Anyway, I'm all ears!

Madgarden aka Paul Pridham -- Code, sound, pixels: Death Road to Canada, PUNCH QUEST with rocketcat games, EGGNOGG, Chillaxian, GlitchMachine, Saucelifter, Sword of Fargoal... and more stuff on the way.
madgarden.net -- saucelifter.com -- glitchmachine.com -- fargoal.com forums -- madgarden@twitter
04-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Send a message via AIM to skamando
I'm not quite sure what the problems are. The game is challenging, certainly, but not in a controller-thrower type of way. It's fun challenging. I've played on normal difficulty, and it isn't all that crazy. I think my highest score is 50K or so.
If you just think it's hard, don't give up on it. It's an amazingly rewarding experience.

Faves: Saucelifter, Westbang, Eliss, Edge, Tilt to Live, Mindwall, Radial 50, Super Quick Hook, Sword of Fargoal, Carcassone, Trainyard.
Playing: Super Mega Worm, Aqueduct, Monster Dash, FASTAR!, Shining Force, Frogatto, The Incident, Dark Nebula Ep. 2.
04-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Personally, I like the difficulty of the game. Humans... they never relent. I love how they continue to shoot you even after they've already blown you up.

I think the way you hold the device goes a long way as far as finessing control. I find it good to "pinch" the device with my thumbs and middle fingers and right/left fire with my index fingers, while down firing with my thumbs i.e. while tilting right use right thumb to fire. I find that by using this technique, it also helps to give a clear view of the ground.

All in all... I love this game.
04-27-2009, 09:42 PM
i'm going to back up the dev, especially after that update... you have to play easy a couple times, then you get the hang of it.. games are meant to be short... you have to remember that the level ends when you rescue all the guys.. just scoot around and take out the enemies at your leisure, then rescue your guys!

easy isn't too hard!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
04-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
i'm going to back up the dev, especially after that update... you have to play easy a couple times, then you get the hang of it.. games are meant to be short... you have to remember that the level ends when you rescue all the guys.. just scoot around and take out the enemies at your leisure, then rescue your guys!

easy isn't too hard!
Yeah, I personally don't like long, drawn out games that cover 50 levels and give you 10 super easy ones to start... who has time for that? I aim to create a game that is concentrated, purified fun... no obligations, and doesn't feel like work. You don't lose a lot by dying... just play again! There are many ways to die. That's the fun of it. If anyone has played games like Nethack or Spelunky, then you'll know what I mean.

* Also, I just wanted to add... if you have trouble with the turrets, just strafe them from a safe distance. This game is more tactical than most action shooters. You go in all Rambo with guns blazing, you get shot down.

Madgarden aka Paul Pridham -- Code, sound, pixels: Death Road to Canada, PUNCH QUEST with rocketcat games, EGGNOGG, Chillaxian, GlitchMachine, Saucelifter, Sword of Fargoal... and more stuff on the way.
madgarden.net -- saucelifter.com -- glitchmachine.com -- fargoal.com forums -- madgarden@twitter

Last edited by Madgarden; 04-27-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Added a tip