★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Space Shooter 1 - a classic arcade shooter with a modern twist. Battle through a endless swam of bio-drones to destroy their factories before it's too late. Then for the ultimate challenge, find and destroy the massive asteroids they've infected, using an array of devastating weaponry including a scything laser-beam and nuclear warheads!

Story: Far into the future the Asteroid Belt has become a rich source of minerals and resources. Humanity had started resource extraction with mining ships, using their lasers to bore into the rocks. Soon new, faster ways of automating the process produced spectacular results; self-replicating bio-drones were created that could do the job in a fraction of the time. However, the genetic code in the bio-machines mutated and they ran amok across the belt destroying all in their path. Now they look towards the Earth, their numbers growing exponentially, their destructive potential constantly evolving. Only you, in your hastily refitted ex-mining ship can hope to put a stop to the relentless march of the bio-machines and save humanity...

Featuring:

* Unique, fast-paced game play - roam around the levels destroying the drones, or go for the factories for a quick win.
* Multiple power-ups - bring fear into the mechanical hearts of your enemies.
* Halo-style shield recharging - if you're taking a beating, find somewhere to hide and wait for your shield to regenerate.
* 4 unique weapons - including a beam weapon that can scythe through anything, the machine-gun like plasma cannon and nuclear weaponry.
* 10 different levels
* 3 different worlds
* Amazing Retina graphics
* Beat your friend's scores with Gamecenter support
* Hours of replayability

Trailer: http://youtu.be/fINWiBsXI0s

RossP's comments:
Hello,

I'm the developer behind Space Shooter 1 - a 2d free roaming shooter, featuring a LOT of explosions, fast gameplay, a toroidal game world, Halo style shield recharging, Retina graphics, an awesome beam laser and some nuclear weapons.

I've got a few promo codes to give away - any feedback anyone has is welcome. At the moment the game is for iPhones/iPod Touches at the moment but the first update will add iPad support.

The codes: M343J4R4H634, 77PNWJ63XXN3, YJ9HK7AEYFP6, P66WHAEJKALE.

App store link: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/space-shooter-1/id453445790?mt=8

Anyhow, if you enjoy it please help spread the word. I'm currently working on a space-based RTS for the iPad - if that appeals to you I'll be able spend more time working on it if this game does reasonably.

Youtube link | Pop Up
08-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Took M343J4R4H634 (first one). The others were all taken already.
Looks like a pretty good dual-stick shooter.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind

08-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Thank you - it's good fun to play. Admittedly not the most outstanding example of originality out there but it is strangely addictive. You guys were voracious on the code grabbing!
08-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Took 77PNWJ63XXN3. Reminds me a lot of the highly rated Space Miner. Needs a bit of polish though, and a soundtrack (may I suggest something from the Prodigy collection) and last but not least I think (no offence intended) you could give your game a cooler looking app icon. Your game has the potential to be even better than what it currently is + it'd be nice if we could blow up the asteroids as bumping into them without being able to blast them to kingdom come gets annoying.
08-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
all used... added to my wishlist though... thanx for the impressions and vid. =o)
08-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Thank you - you're right, the music could do with some more tracks - licensing anything would probably be too expensive though sadly. I'll have a word with my artist about the icon & I'll see what I can do about the asteroids indestructibility - they can be pretty annoying it's true!
08-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossP View Post
Thank you - you're right, the music could do with some more tracks - licensing anything would probably be too expensive though sadly. I'll have a word with my artist about the icon & I'll see what I can do about the asteroids indestructibility - they can be pretty annoying it's true!
I was just joking with regards to the Prodigy tunes. Could you imagine your game being played to the sound of the Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up or Firestarter? I think not

On a more serious note, yes, your game would definitely be better with some good music in the background.

PS: thanks for the promo code
08-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Game Impressions

The concept is great: Aliens have set up drone factories on various asteroids, and you must destroy them. Each level increases the number of factories, which greatly increases the number of enemies.

Other highlights: Enemy drones have their own AI, and will collect small asteroids and drag them back to base to fuel further construction.

Graphics are OK, but the steampunk-like UI feels out of place. Also, your view feels way too zoomed in, and you'll hardly see anything until it's almost on top of you.

The controls are also strange. A joystick controls your movement, but a single touch in another direction will automatically spin you around. This makes dodging and shooting very difficult to do at the same time. The movement is also non-Neutonian, meaning your ship naturally slows down really quickly. The controls would feel a lot better if they were more like Space Miner.

Also, the asteroids are indestructible. Shooting them simply propels them in the opposite direction, to bounce around like pinballs with what feels like entirely different gravity/physics than your ship. Hitting them with your ship also has no ill effects.

Overall, it's off to an ok start, but could use a lot of refinement.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
08-26-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm sufficiently intrigued to take a chance on this one. Besides, the dev probably deserves my buck just for using the word "toroidal."
08-27-2011, 09:45 AM
@strivemind - thanks, I think that seems a fair assessment. Perhaps the UI choice was a mistake in retrospect. It was meant to go with the look of the ship being so battered, but perhaps it doesn't work all that well.

You're right about the controls, they've always been a bit of an issue - perhaps a dual-stick approach would have worked better in retrospect. And the physics could probably use tweaking.

Glad you liked the drones though - originally the asteroids they collected were going to be used in the construction of new enemies, allowing you to try to starve the factories, I dropped that for balancing in the end. Later in the game they collect mines in the same way and then fly at you, detonating on contact.

I think I'm happy with the viewpoint though - the ship is relatively tough so it can take a lot of punishment. I quite enjoy how crazy it is just flying around full speed like a lunatic bouncing off things. Having said that, the iPad version I'm working on does work better in that respect, just having the larger screen makes it much easier to see what's going on.

@Gabrien - thanks for buying it - hope you've enjoyed it.