★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Features:
-Optional blood
-Optional sounds/music
-3 levels of difficulty
-Move Xiau all around using by pressing the button
-Extremely intuitive controls

The universe need a hero like you!
Your girl is in urgent need of help, run before its to late.
Someone kidnapped your girl (Xiau Pelin), help him to get her back to town!

This addictive game will give you hours of fun..
Enjoy!

Stroffolino's comments:

I stumbled across this and was struck by the similarity of the control layout in the AppStore screenshots to my 2009 app, "Karate Fighter." Out of curiosity, I picked a copy of "iWar Karate Knockout" and after trying it I'm not sure whether to be flattered or horrified.

The game doesn't just copy the control layout, but steals ALL the in-game sound effects from Karate Fighter, including both licensed sounds and the original soundtrack I'd commissioned back in 2009, all at considerable personal expense. The publisher even copied Karate Fighter's options screen (though leaving some of the menu items non-functional).

All the art in "iWar Karate Knockout" appears to be original. And there was clearly an effort to change themes up to avoid being a complete copy - dogs are replaced with tigers, dragons replaced with fire breathing ninja on bamboo stilts, etc. But it plays like a horrible mockery. The framerate is poor, and the collision detection is strange to say the least.

I don't plan to bother lodging a complaint with Apple. After all, Karate Fighter itself was a loosely disguised remake of NES Kung Fu. But I'm a little puzzled that the iWar would bother using my decidedly niche game as inspiration rather than the original Irem/NES titles.
08-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post

I stumbled across this and was struck by the similarity of the control layout in the AppStore screenshots to my 2009 app, "Karate Fighter." Out of curiosity, I picked a copy of "iWar Karate Knockout" and after trying it I'm not sure whether to be flattered or horrified.

The game doesn't just copy the control layout, but steals ALL the in-game sound effects from Karate Fighter, including both licensed sounds and the original soundtrack I'd commissioned back in 2009, all at considerable personal expense. The publisher even copied Karate Fighter's options screen (though leaving some of the menu items non-functional).

All the art in "iWar Karate Knockout" appears to be original. And there was

clearly an effort to change themes up to avoid being a complete copy - dogs are replaced with tigers, dragons replaced with fire breathing ninja on bamboo stilts, etc. But it plays like a horrible mockery. The framerate is poor, and the collision detection is strange to say the least.

I don't plan to bother lodging a complaint with Apple. After all, Karate Fighter itself was a loosely disguised remake of NES Kung Fu. But I'm a little puzzled that the iWar would bother using my decidedly niche game as inspiration rather than the original Irem/NES titles.
I know there are many games on the app store that take their ideas from other games. It seems to be going around a lot which is unavoidable but if WKK used the licensed sound affects and soundtrack to your game I would try to take some type of action. There should be a limit as to how far a game is cloned.
08-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I would at least get them to remove your soundtrack!
08-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Lol at the volume increase icon in screen 3!

I thought this game looked similar. It's a shame when assets are directly taken from another game. Copying gameplay elements is one thing, but sound or game art is just wrong.

Gamecenter: MicroByte
Jetpack Joyride: all 125 medals :: Golden Tophat winner :: Special Half-Brick Prize
Playing: Sonic Racing Transformed | Giant Boulder of Death | Dead Trigger 2 | Jetpack Joyride