★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Paper Cars by Evil Indie Games

08-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Paper Cars by Evil Indie Games

Hi All,

We are happy to announce our new game called Paper Cars.
Do you remember Street Rod series, GTA, Carmageddon and Test Drive?
We were inspired by all these famous titles and added some unique style, polishing and applied a new vision. The result is really unpredictable .

Main features:
- unique world made of paper
- more than 16 customizable stylish cars
- many different locations (city, forest, desert, etc.)
- many types of missions (time race, head to head racing for a car, cleaning up the forest, taxi driver, destroying targets using weapons, "ski jumps" and many more).
- possibility to buy and sell cars, buying parts (for upgrades and tuning) and weapons.
- career mode with gaining fame and prizes
- global results and achievements (game center & openfeint)
- different types of controls with adjustable sensitivity (arrows, steering wheel, g-sensor)
- fast, pleasant soundtrack (played like a car radio)

All this stuff will be available soon in the first release of Paper Cars.
We hope you will enjoy the game.
We are still open for some suggestions and remarks, what would you like to find in our new, funny racing game.

Here you can take a look on some screenshots.

UPDATE!!!! High budget promo video (the music starts in 30 second ):

Stay tuned!

Last edited by Evil Indie Games; 09-03-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: adding youtube short gameplay video
08-28-2011, 10:24 AM
While I certainly understand the "paper"-look behind it, I think you could do way better with not having the hard cardboard look on EVERYTHING.
There's so many different kind of papers around, you could vary it a lot more and better. Also the colors look really harsh and contrasty to me :/

Like the background sky. That could be really soft paper, with the clouds being ragged and whatnot. Totally stylish.
But instead you have this massive cardboard look on it. Looks like you had the idea but then just slapped it on the already made assets.

I really hope you guys could spice things up and put this extra polish to it
Cause the idea sure has a loooot of potential !

15 Coins - @Toucharcade

My humble Portfolio: www.acumen-design.de/blog
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/fabi_smith

08-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
While I certainly understand the "paper"-look behind it, I think you could do way better with not having the hard cardboard look on EVERYTHING.
There's so many different kind of papers around, you could vary it a lot more and better. Also the colors look really harsh and contrasty to me :/

Like the background sky. That could be really soft paper, with the clouds being ragged and whatnot. Totally stylish.
But instead you have this massive cardboard look on it. Looks like you had the idea but then just slapped it on the already made assets.

I really hope you guys could spice things up and put this extra polish to it
Cause the idea sure has a loooot of potential !
Agreed. Without that extra step, the paper aesthetic feels like nothing but a gimmick. Why is this world made out of paper? What does that add to the gameplay?

Spend some time with Paper Mario or Kirby's recent Wii game to see how other game designers have weaved their materials right into the gameplay.
08-28-2011, 11:02 AM
At the moment there doesn't seem to be much actual paper in the game world; maybe the game should be called Car-board instead.

That said, the effect is quite convincing - if a little overused, perhaps - and hopefully the "paper" theme will turn out to be more than simply cosmetic. Looking forward to seeing revision and refinement on this one.
08-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Agreed. Without that extra step, the paper aesthetic feels like nothing but a gimmick. Why is this world made out of paper? What does that add to the gameplay?

Spend some time with Paper Mario or Kirby's recent Wii game to see how other game designers have weaved their materials right into the gameplay.
Totally concur with you and Acumen. With the right colours and textures, I could look quite pretty. There's a way to go though.

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja
08-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Beta testers wanted!!!

Thanks Guys for your valuable comments.
I get your point, however our intention was not to create sweety, lovely, treacly game (I'm personally fed up with such games), but game for tough boys with heavy punkrock-ska music, heavy cars and heavy cardboard all around .

Yeap, it's a bit pugnacious, a bit rough, but so many people love gameplay (really!). We already published BETA version on Android platform and the game have really nice comments.

This is time we would like to have some of you guys to try a bit our game and reveal some more constructive and non-constructive remarks. Not only about gfx and lack of tissue paper, but also how hard is to play, how difficult to get through UI and so on. So - we are looking for 10 beta testers.

There is a very short gameplay video just screencasted on my poor macbook pro - with very small screen (yes, of course we will produce some expensive, exclusive promo video with storyline and in HD soon ):

If anyone would like to test BETA version, please let me know, we will provide test build soon.

Have fun and thanks for support guys, it's nice to hear your voice!
08-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Sure I can test it

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
08-30-2011, 09:14 AM
9 more BETA TESTER WANTED

Thanks LOLavi,

We are looking for 9 more BETA testers, please send PM with your email address so we can contact all of you when 10 brilliant people are found.

Thanks in advance for the support and constructive criticism

08-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Game looks positively fantastic!

PM Sent.

Only comment so far is that a lot of the cars look a little "flat" and by that I'm not talking about the obvious flat sides, but that the tops of the cars aren't so tall.

Of course that may be the intended affect...

Reminds me a lot of those paper cars with fireworks in them, and of course animal crackers boxes where you can cut out the wheels on the bottom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
08-30-2011, 10:22 AM
I will be up for testing!
PM sent.

Last edited by Theassassinator; 08-30-2011 at 10:28 AM.