★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Karate Fighter full version

08-28-2011, 01:50 PM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,006
Karate Fighter full version



For the first time ever, Karate Fighter (full version) is free for a limited time.

Karate Fighter is heavily inspired by the NES game "Kung Fu" but includes new levels/bosses, three difficulties, and a survival mode - with full OpenFeint and GameCenter support.

If you like it, please consider posting a user review.
08-28-2011, 04:05 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,494
Thanks for making this free! Played through a bit and it's a homage on clone of Kung Fu, a nice clash back experience.

As an aside, you should consider doing a followup to World to Conquer. WtC was great turn based strategy game that didn't get enough attention. Easy 8 (or is if NorthernBytes) has some good material.

Last edited by undeadcow; 08-28-2011 at 04:23 PM.

08-28-2011, 07:20 PM
#3
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
hey,I bought this game long time ago...a change in the difficulty will be wellcome.the normal dif. is too easy,please remove at least the ability to start in the middle of a level...And can u unlock the screen orientation for the loading screen?I play normaly on the other side...sorry for my english...cheers
08-28-2011, 07:59 PM
#4
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,006
About difficulty, there's a big jump between 'easy' and 'normal' and an even bigger jump between 'normal' and 'hardest' - sounds like you would prefer something in between normal and hardest? How far can you get on the hardest difficulty?

I don't know if there's anything I can do about the loading screen orientation on iPhone - it's rendered by the OS. In contrast, the iPad draws the initial loading screen correctly no matter how you hold the device while launching the app. If you know any app on iPhone/iPod that can draw loading screen in both orientations let me know and I'll gladly look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodjunkie View Post
hey,I bought this game long time ago...a change in the difficulty will be wellcome.the normal dif. is too easy,please remove at least the ability to start in the middle of a level...And can u unlock the screen orientation for the loading screen?I play normaly on the other side...sorry for my english...cheers
08-28-2011, 08:15 PM
#5
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,006
We're still planning a major WTC update, though probably not until October. World to Conquer has a good run the first few weeks it was out, getting a N&N itunes feature from Apple and Pocket Gamer coverage.

My current focus is on a major update for Card Shark.

www.northernbytes.ca is website hosted by my friend Louis, who has collaborated on me on many games over the past decade. Long story, but "Easy 8 Software" just the name of the legal entity used for AppStore, and there would be a lot of red tape involved in changing it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Thanks for making this free! Played through a bit and it's a homage on clone of Kung Fu, a nice clash back experience.

As an aside, you should consider doing a followup to World to Conquer. WtC was great turn based strategy game that didn't get enough attention. Easy 8 (or is if NorthernBytes) has some good material.
08-29-2011, 02:53 AM
#6
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
About difficulty, there's a big jump between 'easy' and 'normal' and an even bigger jump between 'normal' and 'hardest' - sounds like you would prefer something in between normal and hardest? How far can you get on the hardest difficulty?

I don't know if there's anything I can do about the loading screen orientation on iPhone - it's rendered by the OS. In contrast, the iPad draws the initial loading screen correctly no matter how you hold the device while launching the app. If you know any app on iPhone/iPod that can draw loading screen in both orientations let me know and I'll gladly look into this.
Thank you for answer! I play on easy and normal to the end of the game wihtout challlenge,but come only to the 3rd boss on hard,so i was hopping for a little harder normal dif. Thank you anyway! Its a very nice game!
08-29-2011, 08:15 AM
#7
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, USA
Posts: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodjunkie View Post
hey,I bought this game long time ago...a change in the difficulty will be wellcome.the normal dif. is too easy,please remove at least the ability to start in the middle of a level...And can u unlock the screen orientation for the loading screen?I play normaly on the other side...sorry for my english...cheers
As someone who isn't in any danger of beating most games on hard mode, please don't make the Easy any harder, lol. I really appreciate being able to continue in the middle of a level, personally.

On another note: I didn't think I'd like the controls before I played it, but I was wrong. I think they're perfect for this game.
08-29-2011, 08:45 AM
#8
As Phil said, we are planning a WTC update which I should be able to start work on in the next month or so. As for the Easy8 NorthernBytes thing.. I guess you could see it as us developing under NorthernBytes and publishing under Easy8. ^_^
08-29-2011, 09:27 AM
#9
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarKitty View Post
As someone who isn't in any danger of beating most games on hard mode, please don't make the Easy any harder, lol. I really appreciate being able to continue in the middle of a level, personally.

On another note: I didn't think I'd like the controls before I played it, but I was wrong. I think they're perfect for this game.
There are a lot of control types in option menu. For every taste. No complaints here...:-)
08-29-2011, 05:23 PM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,006
If it helps short term, I could upload a walkthrough of expert mode.
It's the most interesting variation in my opinion because there are two bosses per stage.

Level 3 is pretty brutal especially in expert mode. If you can make it to the giant with most of your health and avoid his belly flop, you'll have an excellent chance of successfully slugging it out toe to toe. Close the distance with a flying kick then unleash rapid groin punches to drain his health. You can get in maybe 3 hits to his one.

If you lose a lot of health before you reach him, it's still possible to win. You can pick him apart by landing a jump kick, then jump back and retreat slightly - repeat until he's weakened enough to go in for the kill. No easy feat because of new enemies coming onscreen, but there's always hope.

The trickiest part of that level is probably dealing with the annoying acrobat that shows up at the halfway point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodjunkie View Post
Thank you for answer! I play on easy and normal to the end of the game wihtout challlenge,but come only to the 3rd boss on hard,so i was hopping for a little harder normal dif. Thank you anyway! Its a very nice game!