★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Help: Migration to new iPhone- How can I keep my game progress?

04-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Help: Migration to new iPhone- How can I keep my game progress?

Need big time help from someone. I bought my first iPhone about 30 days ago and have been playing iMafia, Race Wars, and Ninjas constantly.
There was a problem with the original iPhone & today I had it swapped to a new one at the store. They assured my all my apps and game progress would be preserved. They were wrong. All the PlayMesh games see to have no memory of me. How can I get my games to update and show all my progress? Is there a way or am I out of luck?

Please help...I can't stand the thought of starting over from scratch.
Thanks in advance.

uwishu
04-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwishu View Post
Need big time help from someone. I bought my first iPhone about 30 days ago and have been playing iMafia, Race Wars, and Ninjas constantly.
There was a problem with the original iPhone & today I had it swapped to a new one at the store. They assured my all my apps and game progress would be preserved. They were wrong. All the PlayMesh games see to have no memory of me. How can I get my games to update and show all my progress? Is there a way or am I out of luck?

Please help...I can't stand the thought of starting over from scratch.
Thanks in advance.

uwishu
out of luck, you have a new device id number due to a new phone, so there is no way of playmesh games knowing it you again seeing as they use the id as the way to identify you. this is an issue with playmesh not with apple, there was nothing you could do to prevent it.

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*

04-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Wow. That is really a stupid design feature. It seems like there should be a way to log in similar to the way UndeadLive works. After level 15, you are sent an email that give you the ability to log on from a web page to play. What a waste. Not only that, but it's double jeopardy, all the bonuses you get for downloading other games by the same developer are lost to me, because that much it does remember and says "you've already installed the game" so I can't even qualify for those.

If anyone else comes up with an idea or the PlayMesh developers see this, there should be a way to link back into my characters name. It should be tied to the character name & the cell phone #. That way no matter what phone you owned, you could still access your history. Otherwise everyone who owns a warranty BEWARE. If you break your iPhone & get a replacement you will lose all progress. That is seriously dumb!
Please if anybody else can think of something, let me know. Thanks.
04-28-2009, 02:02 AM
It's really easy actually, did it myself. Plug in your old phone and right click it in iTunes on the left bar, and backup. Plug in your new phone and restore from backup by right clicking in the same place. Everything will be restored except icon arrangement.
04-28-2009, 02:04 AM
there is nothing to think of. It's just not set up this way to account for this. Games are not allowed access to your phone number. That's a big no no. That's why the device Id was created. think of it as the phone number for iPhone developers.

Boiler Up!
04-28-2009, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ntom4 View Post
It's really easy actually, did it myself. Plug in your old phone and right click it in iTunes on the left bar, and backup. Plug in your new phone and restore from backup by right clicking in the same place. Everything will be restored except icon arrangement.
Nope it won't do this for the playmesh games seeing as that crap is stored server side not user side

Boiler Up!
04-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchampl View Post
Nope it won't do this for the playmesh games seeing as that crap is stored server side not user side
Ah damn, well just another reason why I don't play so called 'mmos'.
04-28-2009, 02:09 AM
I remember creating a thread asking the same question a while ago and there are several hood answers, so you might want to have a look.
Sorry I cant copy and paste the link ad I'm on my iPhone,but if u want, u can show all threads started by me and I'm sure it's there.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
04-28-2009, 03:17 AM
Binding whatever server side data to you hardware was always a bad idea and it is still a bad idea on the iPhone, where EVERYONE is changing the device every year, two years or three years (regarding your contract). The first company with this problem was Tapulous with Twinkle and Tap Tap Revenge. Their solution was to email them (wtf?), otherwise the new owner (if you sold the phone) reused your account.

This can only be solved by the companies. It is no problem of Apple and no problem of the device, also nothing which can be solved with a backup/restore-procedure. It is plain broken on the other side.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
04-28-2009, 04:56 AM
THE ACTUAL SOLUTION: (this is what I did when I upgraded my ipod touch)

when you are setting it up restore from backup of your old one and everything will be the same!

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything