★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Paid vs Free-To-Play: Pro's and Con's

View Poll Results: Do you prefer paid or freemium?
PAID 29 78.38%
FREEMIUM 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll
08-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Paid vs Free-To-Play: Pro's and Con's

I wanted to talk with you guys about your thoughts on one the biggest themes going on in the AppStore - Freemium.

Since you all are some of the most hardcore experts on iPhone gaming, I wanted to get your ideas and opinions and paid vs free to play and how it affects gaming.

I'd love to hear players preference on what style they play (premium vs freemium) and hear some reasons why. I'd also love to hear your thoughts on what could be improved upon in both fields.

Game Designer and Producer of Trenches, Evertales, and more!

| Follow me on Twitter or EMAIL ME |
09-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Looks like freemium isn't so popular, I too prefer paid but see freemium as a potential method for game devs to easily upgrade people to full versions of apps with in app purchases.

Windows Phone 7 builds this into the OS, so all trial games/apps ARE full version and are just unlocked via the store. Which is a good idea if you ask me, one app to release with a simple switch to make it full version.

I can see the pros/cons of both, but would love to also know why people favor paid over freemium. Perhaps the definition of freemium means is a little bit of a grey area?

09-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Personally I prefer Paid to Freemium, as with paid you know you're (generally) getting the whole game, and the focus is on the actual game, and not only on game mechanics that are built towards IAP (consumables, not one time $1 purchases)

I like the Lite model over both, as then you know what kind of game you're getting, and if you enjoy it, you can buy the full game.

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs
09-01-2011, 06:28 AM
Freemium traditionally hasn't been done well, that's why paid is more popular.

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
09-01-2011, 06:41 AM
NO! Not again! Shoot me PLEASE!

Dropped iPhone 6 on live tv. Became a viral sensation.
App Reviewer and Writer for Pocketfullofapps.com. Got a new game? Want a review? Contact me!
Follow Me On Twitter @Triggywiggy BETA Tested: View Here I can test yours too!
09-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggywiggy View Post
NO! Not again! Shoot me PLEASE!
Relax, bruthaman. I'm an iPhone developer and wanted to speak with TouchArcade and what they'd like to see in a free to play game that can be done well, so there is real purpose behind this.

09-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Keep in mind you're polling the absolute vocal minority here, so please don't judge any long-term development decisions off this. Your bread and butter of the freemium world are the millions of people out there who haven't even heard about TouchArcade and don't feel personally offended when they buy smurfberries.
09-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Keep in mind you're polling the absolute vocal minority here, so please don't judge any long-term development decisions off this. Your bread and butter of the freemium world are the millions of people out there who haven't even heard about TouchArcade and don't feel personally offended when they buy smurfberries.
Yep, check out the top 50 grossing games any day of the year, and you'll see that 75% are freemium titles. Not only are members here on TA a minority of the customer base for the AppStore, the people who buy paid apps are a minority on this platform. Nearly all of my friends have an iPhone or iPod, but none of them have heard of anything besides WWF, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, and Cut the Rope as far as paid apps are concerned, literally.

Twitter: @back2this
09-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Hah! Very true, Hodapp. I was actually hoping to get some player feedback about what would make free2play better for them...

Personally, I rather enjoy Team Fortress 2 and League of Legends, among other F2P games, and those are more of my style.

Of course, there is a lot of fun to be had in the traditional freemium gaming, such as Tiny Tower, which is also pretty fun.

09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't mind freemium so much as long as I get some fun out of the game. For me, having a few good freemium games means I can pop out my iPod anywhere, any time and enjoy some good ol' free entertainment. Most people that don't like it can't stand the fact that they usually gotta wait or pay to progress. I have enough full games to play if I'm bored that the wait doesn't bother me that much, honestly.

You also have to consider the fact that - Some TA members are absolute pirates who for them, freemium is a case of 'f2p vs Free'

And in that sense, they will likely absolutely despise that 'freemium crap'

Also, a good thing in f2p games is having an option to download other free games for in-app bonuses/rewards/currency. Check out Star Legends for a good example of how that is done well. Although SL isn't pay to play, you can still get a good idea of how to keep customers happy while still willing to throw some money.

Theres my 2 pennies at least.