★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: IO is out

04-28-2009, 02:46 PM
IO is out

This looked really great from the previews on TA a while back. Anyone going to give it a shot?
04-28-2009, 03:53 PM
My Impressions - quick

Loaded up, chose new game, and took 30 secs to load first level.
graphics window is widescreen small, with at least 1/2 cut off on top and bottom.
The options on top are as follows: (not all are available during start)
- Nail gun
- Flame Thrower
- Rocket Launcher
- Railgun
- Displacer
- Stimpak
- Cloak
- Thermal Vision

Bottom buttons are as follows:

- Directional up, down, left, right
- Menu
- Pause
- Tap button switches between run, walk, crouch
- Jump Button

Graphics:
I like the lighting, but not impressed with how much room the controls take, I do like the ambient lighting and particle effects. However Main character is not as detailed as I would've liked. I do like the skelatal animation, it makes the characters move fairly smooth. I also enabled the FPS counter, and noticed that for the 10 mins I played it never dropped below 29-30 fps. If anyone remembers the graphics remind me of the PSone game titled "One".

Sound: Average, not totally amazing but not completely underwhelming

Controls: I really dislike the the directional buttons used, and the fact that for a 2d game, you have to move between the foreground and background. When to move is not immediately noticeable till you can't proceed further, then you experiment if you have to move to the background, jump, or shoot something.

Gameplay: So far I'm not impressed, but I will need to play longer. If I was asked at this point as to which I prefer: Alien Abuse or IO, my vote would go to Alien Abuse.

I will play more once I get home, and follow up with a more detailed review. So far, not worth $1.99 should be a Free in progress test...