★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

3D FreeThrow HD: universal basketball game

09-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]

Being a sucker for every new basketball game in the App Store, I bought this one when it came out yesterday. It is a one-player version of the "Around The World" game that we have all played on our neighborhood courts. The physics and graphics are very impressive, but at first I found this game extremely frustrating. There are no instructions, so I assumed that shooting the basketball required a swiping motion and that I would be able to control the direction and power of shots. After several minutes it dawned on me that the control mechanism (a directional arrow that shows up when you touch above the basketball) requires a touch-and-slide movement, and it gives you control over the shot's arc and direction -- but not the power of the shot. To shoot the ball, you lift up your finger after you've done the touch-and-slide motion. The challenge and the fun part of the game comes from the need to pay attention to where the aiming arrow is pointing relative to details on the building behind the basket. By remembering where your arrow pointed on your first shot you can make incremental changes to adjust for your next shot. This is a trial-and-error game, but that's what makes it challenging and enjoyable. Now that I have figured out the odd control system I've had a great time with this game. I've exchanged emails with the developer and my impression is that he is committed to adding detailed instructions and tweaking the controls.
09-05-2011, 01:23 AM
I bought it and thought it was rubbish.

09-05-2011, 01:54 AM

"This is a game that basketball players often call 'Around The World'. Each time you make a basket, your score will increase and your position on the court will change. To shoot the basketball, touch and slide your finger slowly on the screen (don't use a swiping motion) to move the aiming arrow. This touch-and-slide motion will change the direction and arc of your shot. Lift your finger up when you are ready to shoot the basketball. You will always have enough power to reach the basket, even in the positions on the court that are far away, so you only have to focus on setting the correct direction and arc (height) of your shot. This is a game of trial-and-error and it requires that you make adjustments, so if your first shot goes too far, you should increase the arc of your next shot.iPhone 5 Release Date
09-05-2011, 01:57 AM
I bought it and thought it was rubbish.
09-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
In reply to robiow's post, I was impressed enough with the realistic physics engine and graphics to invest the time required to understand this game's mechanics, which as I noted in a previous post aren't intuitively obvious and the game doesn't include instructions. After a brief time I came to view this as a puzzle game, not a basketball shooting simulation, and the next thing I knew two hours had passed and I had scored over 25,000 points -- and most importantly, was really enjoying the challenge and flow of the game. I recommend it for iPad users, but not for iPhone users because the small graphical details are critically important to see in order to judge how to adjust your aim.
09-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Download slam-dunk basketball, free and much better
09-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Hello guys. Thank you Grist for the post about the game.

This game I've done mainly for people who likes basketball as it is.
You know, no super vfx and stuff like that. The star for me is the sport itself.
But I do understand there's many games on the store much better in content, thats why I'm working on future update.
I'd like to adress that I know this game is not perfect or as good as the ones made by some companies out there, though I know too the physics I coded is really good and you should give it a try, in most basketball games for iOS you won't see a simulation as good as that.

For a lonly developer it will be always super hard to make a game at the same level of the ones made by experienced teams and companies, but thats my goal and everytime you enjoy an indie game, you enjoy a game made by gamers exactly like you. Anyway, I know I have a long run to be able to produce always better and better games.

Last edited by BrUnO XaVIeR; 09-05-2011 at 08:42 PM.
09-07-2011, 02:24 AM

Are you a professional air guitar soloist? How about a part time ninja? Well now you can be a master flickthrow basketballer! Flickthrow Challenge is an addicting basketball freethrow shooting game.
09-07-2011, 03:23 AM
I was intrigued enough to give this a try and have to agree it's a bit rubbish. Adjust an arrow by various tiny increments until the ball goes in. Do it enough times and you will invariably succeed. Or become bored first. The problem is, aside from the visual representation there's absolutely nothing here that makes the player feel like they are playing a basketball game. Where is the fun factor?