★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Indie retro awesome-o

09-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Indie retro awesome-o

I made a super cool retro game, it's fun to play, it sounds terrific - I got some great chiptunes from some artists at 8bc.org

TunnelRunner

find it on the appstore - believe!

Unsure? play the demo:

www.tunnelrunner.net (takes a few seconds to load, so much music!)

anyfeedback, complaints, compliments... I'm just starting up, so criticism will make me strong! (or make me cry, but that's the other side of the coin)
09-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Interesting, I'll try the flash version if I can get it to load.

ıllıllı ȼǥɲƹƮȿƹ˅ƹɲ ıllıllı
DEVELOPERS I ADORE
CAT IN A BOX QUANTUM SHEEP CS54 ONE MINUTE GAMES ELEFTHERIOS CHRISTODOULATOS RAVENOUS GAMES ORANGE PIXEL RADIANGAMES CAVE LLAMASOFT (RIP) MADFINGER PASTA GAMES TOUCH FOO KODE80

09-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Yeah, tried out the flash, not bad, seems impossible to die!
09-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowenholt View Post
I made a super cool retro game, it's fun to play, it sounds terrific - I got some great chiptunes from some artists at 8bc.org

(takes a few seconds to load, so much music!)

First of all, make sure the artists have OK'd your use of the music for your game. All of the chiptune music on 8bc.org is protected under the Creative Commons license, and can't be used for commercial purposes (selling a game, for example) without their consent and proper attribution.

Next, the loading time could be from a few things. Need faster hosting? Try streaming the music instead of bulk-downloading it with the file? Use a launcher with a loading indicator so people know to wait?

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
09-05-2011, 07:54 AM
$1.99 seems steep for this game. So has he nicked the tunes as well ? Bad play if thats the case.

For his first game i would probably go in cheap and see how it sells. I love retro like anything but $1.99 for this seems expensive
09-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Whoa HEY!!!

The musicians are totally onboard - and having contributed such amazing tunes I would be remiss if i wasn't compensating them for their work, they get a slice of sales!!!

this is all above board!

the flash demo loads in slowly because i made an iphone game first and foremost!
there's more and better in the app!

i'm starting to regret the flash demo altogether...

i most certainly haven't nicked anything - and i get that some apps are cheaper or free, but you'll get more than $2 of fun out of this game, it takes a lot of hard work and time to make a game!

regardless of all that, i hope everyone is enjoying playing it!!
09-05-2011, 01:22 PM
heh, too many exclamation marks there... still... i really mean it.
09-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowenholt View Post
Whoa HEY!!!

The musicians are totally onboard - and having contributed such amazing tunes I would be remiss if i wasn't compensating them for their work, they get a slice of sales!!!

this is all above board!

the flash demo loads in slowly because i made an iphone game first and foremost!
there's more and better in the app!

i'm starting to regret the flash demo altogether...

i most certainly haven't nicked anything - and i get that some apps are cheaper or free, but you'll get more than $2 of fun out of this game, it takes a lot of hard work and time to make a game!

regardless of all that, i hope everyone is enjoying playing it!!
Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing. We often see developers on here that are ignorant of copyright issues, and we would rather they be warned than get caught with legal issues later. Glad to hear that the musicians are on-board.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
09-05-2011, 01:29 PM
i wouldn't have been so worried, but the first response to your question was one basically picking up on that and not being terribly confident in my stuff.

still, i HAVE learned a lesson - flash demo leeches sales... even my friends and family simply don't buy what they can play for free.

i don't think they even realised there's more to the actual game - it's fun to play!! you can play it on your phone, there are more levels and it gets more interesting.
09-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Still think $1.99 for this debut game is too high