★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What do you think of paid ratings and reviews

09-05-2011, 01:49 AM
What do you think of paid ratings and reviews

I was approached by some marketing guy to pay for some 100 ratings and around 10 written reviews on the App Store.
What do you think of such a service? Is it legal in App-store terms?
Since our game is free it would be nice to balance it out with those idiotic comments from users who download anything which is free and are trigger happy to leave a bad comment on deletion.

Nev
09-05-2011, 02:59 AM
seen apps like that

09-05-2011, 03:05 AM
At first glance I believed this to be shallow and of low integrity - however it is a standard practice in marketing applications.

I haven't paid for any reviews or ratings on my own apps though I'm seriously considering and would be willing if the same marketing guy had approached me!

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

09-05-2011, 03:07 AM
well it would be strange having 100 ratings when theres only 10 reviews
09-05-2011, 05:13 AM
You dont need to write a review to leave a star rating..

And in the end its up to you if you need to pony up with such services.

Also there is no rate on delete for ages now. Maybe invest the money into improving the game instead?
09-05-2011, 05:15 AM
@BullletDev that was my first reaction as well, but any marketing agency that you would engage with would do that kind of thing. So I'm actually tempted.

Nev
09-05-2011, 05:34 AM
I've been approached about this sort of thing before as well. I was under the impression that "it wasn't the thing to do". Some people use code to prompt people to write a review , others offer an incentive of some sort. I personally would much rather see a genuine review there, at least it would be real. I wouldn't go down this route.

Fantasy Adventure eBook set on a magical writer's desk available for DOWNLOAD @ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9K3KTW
09-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Yes I agree with you BlueSpiral but when people download something for free just for the sake coz it's free, and not coz they are truly interested, they leave comments such as "this app is stupid". So these guys are not giving real feedback IMHO. I would like to balance out a bit and hopefully increase a bit the downloads

Do people actually look at reviews if it's free? Star rating is much quicker to have a glimpse at... not sure about users reading reviews for something that is free.

Nev
09-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonii View Post
Yes I agree with you BlueSpiral but when people download something for free just for the sake coz it's free, and not coz they are truly interested, they leave comments such as "this app is stupid". So these guys are not giving real feedback IMHO. I would like to balance out a bit and hopefully increase a bit the downloads

Do people actually look at reviews if it's free? Star rating is much quicker to have a glimpse at... not sure about users reading reviews for something that is free.
for sure!

Sometimes your applications rating may be stuck in a rut (under 3 stars) because of unjustified reviews - as you described.

I like the idea of in-app incentives to submit reviews, though I want to implement it an a bigger kind of way.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

09-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonii View Post

I definitely see where you're coming from on this, however by trying to "balance" things out, it goes down the route of using two wrongs to try and make a right.

I was thinking the same thing with regards to ratings just with stars. It's quicker, easier and you've got more chance of people taking an active part if it's say one click of a button.

Can you ever really have an effective rating system? What would the alternative be? How about instead of having a single star rating they have say 4 or 5 sub categories that generate an overall mark. All people do is click on the number of stars they want to give. No writing involved and it guides people in their responses so that you get a more uniform set of reviews.

Fantasy Adventure eBook set on a magical writer's desk available for DOWNLOAD @ http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9K3KTW