★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Word Jolt- thumbs down!

11-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Word Jolt- thumbs down!

I saw this new title on the app store for $4.99. A little pricey, but I like word games a lot, and there was a free java version which I tried out, and enjoyed. And I used Moopf's app review tool to see reviews from other countries, and they were good. So I bought it. And...I'm sorry I did, especially at this price!

First of all, it is clear all they did is port this without customizing anything for the ipod. For example, the instructions on the help screen say things like 'type in a letter' or 'click with the mouse.' Unacceptable, especially in this comparatively higher price point! And the screen is quite busy. I found it hard to make out some of the letters, and I think they really need to give you options for customizing the look/feel.

Plus is took ages to load.

So with all that said, I vote thumbs down for this. The game itself is fun---on their website. But the iPod/iPhone version is clearly a rushed port with a high price point, not enough customization options and a clear lack of attention to detail on the help screen and in other places.
11-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't agree. I did the same: tested the web version then purchased it at iTunes.

I think the graphics are nice as well the animations and sounds.

Gameplay is even better in the iPhone.

In addition, it has all features delivered in the initial release: good presentation, it can resume a game, game modes and high scores.

Finally I didn't find the game slow. For me it's a 5 stars word game with a welcome arcade touch.