Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-16-2014, 07:10 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Default Words With Monsters - (by Wayne Petzler)

Hey guys,

I've just released my first solo game - Words With Monsters.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Feedback most welcome, will keep a close eye on the thread and answer any questions.

I'm also going to post some promo codes over in promo codes and contests shortly.

Last edited by Waynetron; 01-16-2014 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Changed YouTube link back to HD
Old 01-16-2014, 08:32 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I've been playing this for just under an hour or so now and so far its shaping up to become my favourite word game. Its very polished, the little chat with the monsters before each level is fun - though I feel sorry for the monsters! I can't see any iAPs. Each level is like a miniature scrabble game, though I can see it becoming quite difficult further on.

You earn gold by defeating the monsters and can buy items in the shop that add more health, or give certain letters more points. Its a nice little system and I think it works well, it would be nice to see more options there. (Its a nice touch to see your character wearing the helmet you buy/find)

I think it would be nice to be able to zoom out or in on the board a bit but otherwise I'm really enjoying this, thank you!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Glad you like it Avatre

You can zoom out by double tapping on the board. I was having some issues with my pinch zoom close to launch so I decided to shelve it until the next update.

I'd really like to keep it iAP free and I've designed and balanced the story to work as a paid app. If it doesn't succeed as a paid app though I might reconsider, but it would be heartbreaking.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 PM
iPhone 5s

I definitely agree with Avatre, it would be great to zoom in and out.. But the premise is definitely fun and I enjoy the mechanic immensely. I hope you get some solid sales. I've made it through the first through battles, and no sign of any IAP or timer crap make this very much worth the dollar asking price. Thanks very much for a fun, fair twist on a good word game. I can't wait to play more!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:44 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

You're welcome FRS.

I might also add, any feedback on difficulty would be super helpful. I've tested it to the point where I think I'm now a Scrabble guru. I've a feeling the hard difficulty might be... almost impossible in the late-game.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 PM
iPhone 5s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynetron View Post
You're welcome FRS.

I might also add, any feedback on difficulty would be super helpful. I've tested it to the point where I think I'm now a Scrabble guru. I've a feeling the hard difficulty might be... almost impossible in the late-game.
Well, I'm playing on Hard at the moment, so we'll see how far I get before I'm really tested.. I'll let you know. But, overall, I'm really enjoying the polish so far.. And thanks for the info on the zoom, it's nice but the pinch mechanic certainly was thing I tried first.. It's a really good game and I wish you all the luck in getting a good response here!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 PM

I purchased this a while back and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a very sharp looking app. I didn't know until I read this thread that certain things in the shop give letters added value. I had no idea what the letters next to the "upgrade" meant. Also, thanks for the tip about zooming in and out.... This is highly recommended purchase if you're into word games of this nature. Great app....
Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 AM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

This looks pretty cute. Jist might give it a whirl.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

From watching people play, they almost always seem to go for the pinch zoom intuitively. When that fails the odd person will then double tap.

Some other not so obvious tricks:
  • * Shaking the phone when you have letters on the board will return the letters.
  • * Shaking when you have no letters on the board will shuffle the letters in your holder.
  • * Drag a letter onto another letter on the board and it will return to your holder (an emergent behaviour that I left in because I found myself using it all the time to put letters back quickly)
Old 01-17-2014, 01:39 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

i tray to play this & i'm verry happy nice design & sounds