Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

So, I recently got into KODP and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm even already considering putting it on my Top 10 video games of all time.

Anyways, it's quite obvious that there is no similar game to this gem. But I wonder, if there are recommendations for games, that could scratch the same itches as KODP. While the civilization part is the big framework, the focus and uniqueness of the game lies very much in the random events and the dynamic storytelling emerging from those. So, while lovers of civilization building aspects probably have some games to explore (e.g. Civ: Revolution, Starbase Orion, since yesterday there's also Legion etc.), I wonder if there are other games with that kind of emergent storytelling through randomized events occuring.

I could really only think of Organ Trail, which is obviously based on random events, but doesn't really span that kind of a huge narrative experience. Well, there's also Weird Worlds, but that's even less "epic".

Any other games worth mentioning here?

Last edited by Nachtfischer; 03-13-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

While I'm not far into it yet and don't think it's close to the genre you're looking to...but The Lords of Midnight feels epic. Cant tell if things are randomized as I only did 2-3 play throughs so far, but the game "feels" big to me.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Yeah, I read someone calling it a "spirituel predecessor" of KODP, but I couldn't really 100% figure out how the game plays from any video or review. Could be a "normal" adventure/rpg with a predefined story. Well, I should probably go through some postings of the Lords of Midnight thread... :P
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtfischer View Post
Yeah, I read someone calling it a "spirituel predecessor" of KODP, but I couldn't really 100% figure out how the game plays from any video or review. Could be a "normal" adventure/rpg with a predefined story. Well, I should probably go through some postings of the Lords of Midnight thread... :P
I too have had a hard time getting into LoM and KoDP is easily my favorite game on iOS so even if they're somewhat similar I feel your pain. Is there more games like this from the original dev? Is there a true sequel or prequel of this game? I would dig that even if it isnt on ios.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I wonder if there are other games with that kind of emergent storytelling through randomized events occuring...Any other games worth mentioning here?
If you mean on iOS only, I can't think of any. On PC, there's Academagia: The Making of Mages, which is pretty much like playing your way through a fantasy novel, except the plot isn't fixed. A fantastic game, definitely worth a look.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
If you mean on iOS only, I can't think of any. On PC, there's Academagia: The Making of Mages, which is pretty much like playing your way through a fantasy novel, except the plot isn't fixed. A fantastic game, definitely worth a look.
Well. I'd play a good game on any platform actually.

As for Academagia: I've heard that mentioned before as a similar kind of game. But I'm a bit afraid of its very slow pace and grindy nature, which both also get mentioned frequently in connection with this game. It's definitely on my "interesting"-list, though.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
From what I tried, the game is played through a 8 way "first person view". Each character/party can look in 8 "compass" direction, and you pick to move in one of the directions. From the first person view, you can see the landscape, any landmark, any monsters in front of you, and any armies in front or even in the distance. There's an overview map to show your location, what you've discovered, and the location of your parties. As I mentioned, I can't tell if anything is random from the 2-3 play through..but it feels like a lot of things may be scripted.

From the manual, there's multiple ways to play the game. I've just did random exploring since its the first few times I'm playing. Eventually, I'd probably try to go for the hardest ending.

I'll put a spoiler tag for some things I've seen. •••Spoiler:  I seem to be able to find items, recruit armies, protect keeps you come across, persuade other "heroes" to join, fight armies and monsters, and just generally explore.

Anyways, hope this gives you a little idea of what to expect. I bought this basically blind a few weeks ago. Videos also didn't give me a good idea of what to expect. Its a pretty fun game..but hard too. And while the manual isn't as large as KoDP, its probably helpful to eventually read it.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Thanks for the insight. Sounds pretty interesting to me. And there also seems to be quite some replay value. At least multiple playthroughts without seeing the same stuff over and over again. I might give LOM a try soon.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:46 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Sounds pretty interesting to me. And there also seems to be quite some replay value. At least multiple playthroughts without seeing the same stuff over and over again. I might give LOM a try soon.
Excuse the double post.
So I tried LOM and enjoy it quite a bit. It really has an epic feel to it, especially if you go for the victory by war condition. A thing rarely seen in iOS games. More devs should take the plunge and go for KODP- and LOM-greatness.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Excuse the double post.
So I tried LOM and enjoy it quite a bit. It really has an epic feel to it, especially if you go for the victory by war condition. A thing rarely seen in iOS games. More devs should take the plunge and go for KODP- and LOM-greatness.
Glad you're enjoying it. Of course the comment can go in the Lords of Midnights thread too.
Speaking of which, I should give it another go this weekend too.