★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How do you stay motivated after piracy?

09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
How do you stay motivated after piracy?

Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker of the site/forms and I just recently released my first iOS game Stellar Stacker.

I knew piracy was bound to happen but I didn't expect it by day 3. Watching the leaderboard numbers increase on GameCenter while actual sales decrease each day is hard. Currently my ratio from players to sales is 5:1.

I know well enough that there's no guarantee that any of these would have been sales. I'm staying positive by thinking, at least getting the game out there and people talking about it.

How have you dealt with people pirating your game? (not in preventing it but more on a accepting it mentally) Are ratios like mine the norm for iOS games?
09-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Honestly, I find piracy hugely motivating, because it means that I am making something that people want, even if not everybody is willing to pay for it.

Accept that you will never stop piracy, and if you only sell a copy of your game to 20% of the people that play it, so be it.

Focus on increasing the amount of people exposed to your game and the amount of people pirating it will skyrocket, but also the amount of sales will follow.

DO NOT focus on how to get less people to pirate your game, instead focus on getting more exposure to the people that ARE willing to pay.

09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
I think IAP's are a good way to fight piracy!Giving the game for free, but give extra content trough and in app purchase, I don't think there is a workaround for that!

My Twitter:@Tudor
09-08-2011, 09:32 AM
So do IAP help prevent piracy, or are people even able to pirate that content? I imagine that if someone wanted to, they could probably pirate everything in the game and still find a way to access the IAP content.

Either way, I think a good distribution model that some people on this forum have suggested is making your game free, providing a few levels, and then having people purchase the remaining levels as an IAP.
09-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love seeing people playing my game and have fun. That's the reason I've always wanted to make games. So it's hugely motivating.

I was just looking for other peoples reactions / experiences when it first happened to them too.

If people want it, they'll get the game no matter what you do to stop them from pirating. IAP definitely does seem to be the way to go right now. I'll probably be looking to that for my next project.
09-08-2011, 02:47 PM

I thought you could not pirate IOS games?
09-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
So it is trivial to pirate iOS apps, and in fact it is largely automatic for the cracker.

Adding IAP will make it harder to pirate your app, but not that much harder. A game will usually have a flag somewhere that says whether a given IAP is unlocked.

Crackers can find those flags or the file-system-based data that controls them and change things so that the IAP appears to have been paid for.

Downloadable content can add an additional layer of protection if you require that the device submit a valid receipt to the server before allowing the download.
09-08-2011, 05:10 PM
In an ecosystem where developers regularly give away hundreds of thousands of copies of their games to try and increase visibility, it is hard to get worked up over sales theoretically lost to piracy.

I've always been happy to share free copies of my games with anyone that asks.
09-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Yeah, MindJuiceMedia is right, IAP can be pirated, it's just harder. I think it still adds a layer of security though.
09-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by MrLeQuack View Post
I think IAP's are a good way to fight piracy!Giving the game for free, but give extra content trough and in app purchase, I don't think there is a workaround for that!
games that are free + IAP sell very poorly if you cross the magic 25MB barrier where it must be downloaded over wifi