Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazarath View Post
For a $3 game, I feel like leaving out the music and backing it up with a meh justification is cutting a few too many corners.
Well, we certainly weren't trying to cut any corners.

The justification is just that we chose to spend our time and money working on those things we knew would have the most impact (in our opinion) on making the game fun.

Sure, music can add to that experience. I personally have no problems with music, with the exception of crummy, annoying music that I turn off immediately in games. However, we chose to give all of our attention to the gameplay details in the foreground of the game rather than music, that in this game is more background ambiance.

It was just a decision we consciously made, not a check box we forgot to check.

If TH had game mechanics that relied more on music, that would have brought the importance of music more into the foreground, and we obviously would have focused our energy there.

We identified the mechanics of the hero AI and abilities, the defense capabilities and combinations, and the balance of the levels as being of the utmost importance, and we focused on those things, above all else, like a laser.

A giant, eyeball-melting laser.

Hope everyone is still enjoying the game, as we're hard at work on the first update that we hope to have out very, very soon!

-Skippy

Last edited by SimuZennboy; 09-09-2011 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
For a $3 game, I feel like leaving out the music and backing it up with a meh justification is cutting a few too many corners.
I don't like the fact that there isn't music either, but this game screams quality and I seriously doubt they were shaving any corners with a team of 25 guys working on it.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:52 PM
iPhone 3GS

Wow, I look away and there's all these messages.

I'd be happy to add music in an update if people want music. But what are the odds you won't just say "Great.... but not THAT music!"

Any awesome composers out there want to take a shot at it? We'll give credit and name a new level after you. Posterity! But you have to face the wrath of music-hungry touchArcaders alone. That's the deal.

By the way, don't worry about the tower expansion pack if you don't want em. The game is 100% beatable without them. But they are cool. Remember, we balanced them with the game too, so they are not over-powering but they can help if you get really stuck.

Also... we have walkthroughs on the website where we show how to 3-star levels (no expansion pack towers used). If you don't see a walkthrough you need, just request it and we'll make it for you.

For those who like challenges but still get stuck... just watch the start of a walkthrough (instead of the whole thing) to get you mentally thinking along the right lines.

Website found under the unimaginative URL: tinyheroes.com

And for the fun of it, here's one of the walkthroughs now:

Youtube link | Pop Up

David

Last edited by nsxdavid; 09-09-2011 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Maybe I'm an outlier, but I always listen to game music. Any other time of the day, I could listen to my own music, so when I'm playing a game, I want to hear what the game has to offer. To me, it's part of the experience.
Agreed. I guess I might choose no music over bad music, but I'll always choose music competently tailored to the experience over no music.

Spiderweb Software (Avadon) has the same philosophy as nsxdavid, but to me it makes both games just seem a little...empty. The aural landscape is indeed part of the landscape and without it fully painted, it strikes me as blank canvas showing through. Suggesting I paint it myself seems to somehow miss the point.

Still loving TH, though, and frankly, whassisface back there bitching about GD just made me go buy it to find out for myself. Send him a thank-you note.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:08 PM
iPhone 3GS

GD and GDS didn't have music either. No one ever complained. Ironically, though, some people thought the games did have music and only when I reminded them did they go "oooh yeahhh."

With geoSpark, there was music. Composed by my partner-n-crime (Natalia from Imangi) on that game.

So not entirely true I've never done music. But I do know its never been my focus. The game has a huge sound palette (especially as you get all the defenses going). Have to think about what wouldn't clash with that!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:44 PM

This might sound strange, but the thing that sells this game for me is.... the level walkthroughs on the web site.

I enjoyed GeoDefense but eventually got to a point where I was stuck. Actually, that happened a few times. But I eventually got to a point where I was REALLY stuck. I beat my head against one level for the better part of a week, but could not beat it. I turned to the web for tips, but couldn't find any. The kicker was, I couldn't even find information on what some tower combos did, and the author didn't seem too enthusiastic to help people along... like the game would be ruined if people were given help. (These are my remembered impressions from long ago.)

Anyway, I love hard games, I love tower defense, and I loved geoDefense up until I gave up on it in frustration. Tiny Heroes looks like it will be a lot of fun, and now that I see walkthroughs to help me if I do get stuck again I can lift my self-imposed moratorium on buying your games. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:53 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Yeah, the level walkthroughs are very nice! I'm not one to normally use a walkthrough, but I can say that I'm not that great at TD or RTS style games, so picking up some tips and tricks can be very helpful. I ended up watching that Arpeggio walkthrough, and I quickly realized that I have been underutilizing the ballista in levels (I haven't even made it to Arpeggio, but I'm not too concerned with a Challenge level spoiler). So I was able to go back to previous levels, and easily get 3 stars.

So far I'm having a lot of fun with this game!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:00 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

If you guys have been watching the walk throughs, that means you've been exposed to my stellar impersonations of such iconic voicework as Meatwad and Borat. I'm so, so sorry.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:04 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxdavid View Post
Wow, I look away and there's all these messages.

I'd be happy to add music in an update if people want music. But what are the odds you won't just say "Great.... but not THAT music!"

Any awesome composers out there want to take a shot at it? We'll give credit and name a new level after you. Posterity! But you have to face the wrath of music-hungry touchArcaders alone. That's the deal.

By the way, don't worry about the tower expansion pack if you don't want em. The game is 100% beatable without them. But they are cool. Remember, we balanced them with the game too, so they are not over-powering but they can help if you get really stuck.

Also... we have walkthroughs on the website where we show how to 3-star levels (no expansion pack towers used). If you don't see a walkthrough you need, just request it and we'll make it for you.

For those who like challenges but still get stuck... just watch the start of a walkthrough (instead of the whole thing) to get you mentally thinking along the right lines.

Website found under the unimaginative URL: tinyheroes.com

And for the fun of it, here's one of the walkthroughs now:

YouTube: video

David
Thanks for the walkthrough - I now see you have several videos on your site.

And yeah, music would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:23 PM
iPad 2

Even though he's not the BEST defense to use, I love the orc/ogre defense so much.