Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxdavid View Post
But Tiny Heroes... 25 people worked on this puppy. It's massive!
Considering how the game looks and plays (and the apparent lack of music), I do have to wonder exactly what it was that required 25 people to accomplish. For perspective, Bastion was done with only seven.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 PM
iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerblood99 View Post
Even though he's not the BEST defense to use, I love the orc/ogre defense so much.
Some love for the Gork! He's a decent defense actually. Heck they all are, but in different circumstances. We spent a lot of time (time we didn't spend on music) making sure of that.

Here's a blog post on some of the design behind Tiny Heroes defenses and what we had to polish it to such a degree.

David
Old 09-09-2011, 06:50 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxdavid View Post
Have to think about what wouldn't clash with that!
Good point! It's one of the reasons I prefer game music over my music. Game music is designed to complement the game (presumably). I listen to heavy metal and industrial, mostly; works for some games, not quite so much for others.

Loving the responses though. I can see why the fans stick around.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:56 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Considering how the game looks and plays (and the apparent lack of music), I do have to wonder exactly what it was that required 25 people to accomplish. For perspective, Bastion was done with only seven.
To be fair, "25" encompasses our entire company, which includes things like office manager, IT, web designers, and customer service. The core team of code, art, design and sound is closer to the 15 range.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM
iPhone 3GS

The game looks amazing. The art direction is done by our own Eisner-nominated comic artist Tracy Butler (Google her). And the amount of graphics in this is huge (see download size). Total art team was seven strong.

By the way, interesting note... doing graphics of this type that work in a game where most everything has to work in four (or more) directions vastly increases the amount that has to be produced. Trickery like swapping the sprite doesn't work in most cases due to the left/right hand thing.

These issues cascade past just doing the art, as the programmers have to figure out how to deal with staging all that in limited memory. And avoiding a big load time (like say PvZ).

I actually envy'd PvZ's ability to get away with just left (or right) and use horizontal sprite swapping. Very smart art decisions to keep everything under control.

But we were determined to do the sort of game we wanted to accomplish.

David
Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 PM
iPad

Are the levels deterministic and predictable, or do they play out randomly and differently each time? I really only like games with random levels.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 PM

Haven't played the Borat walkthrough. I haven't had too many troubles yet thankfully. I did pass the Bouncy Castle challenge with only two stars so if I can't get that on a few more tries I wouldn't mind seeing a walkthrough for that, cause I don't think I'm using the spring blocks efficiently.

I've only played an hour or so, so far, but it's a lot of fun!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:10 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Haven't played the Borat walkthrough. I haven't had too many troubles yet thankfully. I did pass the Bouncy Castle challenge with only two stars so if I can't get that on a few more tries I wouldn't mind seeing a walkthrough for that, cause I don't think I'm using the spring blocks efficiently.

I've only played an hour or so, so far, but it's a lot of fun!
The walk throughs are as fun to record as they probably are informative. David and I would love to keep doing more, and eventually get the whole team appearing in them. We've got a "Hero Behavior" video in the works right now with the programmer who crafted their AI, and we'll probably start doing some more walk throughs as requests start pouring in.

In fact, we have a place on our forums called "Walk Through Requests", so to anyone who might be stuck on a particular level, or just wants to hear me try a new impression, head on over and make your voices heard.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:49 PM
iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
Are the levels deterministic and predictable, or do they play out randomly and differently each time? I really only like games with random levels.
There are random numbers in there. Especially in Hero behavior! So in that sense it is random. But the levels are very carefully designed, balanced and tested-to-high-heaven to make sure they are razor-sharp.

In practice, if you do the same thing you'll get the same result (more or less). But try a different blend of defenses, or a different way of using them, and you can get a very different result. In fact, if you get stuck on a level... one of these two things is definitely why.

The walkthroughs will definitely job your thinking process even if it's not about a level you are fighting to resolve.

David
Old 09-10-2011, 05:20 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

My favourite tower defense game