★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Selectsoft
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 20.1 MB
  • Version: 1.3
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Demolish the castle and topple your enemies!
Castle Clout is the original catapult game with over 35 million plays online*! Top 100 iPhone Games

"Surprisingly addictive" - SlideToPlay.com

Travel in time to a medieval battlefield and bring order to the lawless lands with your mighty trebuchet. Topple your enemies and destroy their strongholds with boulders, bombs, plagues and more! Smash through 150 epic levels of castle crashing action, then expand your kingdom with the powerful build-and-share level editor.

Choose between classic tap controls and precision directional aiming as you adjust your angle and ammo to maximize the damage you inflict. The exciting physics-based play is similar to popular slingshot games but takes expert timing and strategy to master.

BUILD AND SHARE LEVELS
Build and share your own level designs! Build amazing structures using 3 different wall materials, then fill your creation with 6 kinds of characters.

150 LEVELS PLUS UNLIMITED SHARED MAPS
Earn achievements on 150 challenging levels of medieval mayhem. Plus enjoy free access to unlimited community-created shared levels.

FUN ACHIEVEMENTS
With OpenFeint integration, there are 13 achievements to win and global online leaderboards to record your best plays.

Features:
Easy-to-use controlsjust aim, set and launch
Build and share custom levels with 150 built-in levels
12 special missiles including bomb, plague, glider and triple missiles
5 enemy characters (queen, king, jester, knight and archer) and 1 friendly character (monk)
Retina support
Plus 6 detailed backgrounds, a battle-ready soundtrack and fun enemy-squashing sound effects

Also available in HD for iPad®!

*To learn more about the Castle Clout story visit our website: www.castleclout.com

Selectsoft's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up
09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Does the game have retina support? It's not apparent from the description.

Wow, just checked out Wiki - this game was an inspiration for Crush the Castle. Definitely getting it.

Icon is a window to game's soul...

Last edited by eugekava; 09-08-2011 at 03:40 PM.

09-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugekava View Post
Does the game have retina support? It's not apparent from the description.

Wow, just checked out Wiki - this game was an inspiration for Crush the Castle. Definitely getting it.
It does have retina support--the description has been updated. Thanks for the heads up.
09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Game impressions

First of all, as a big fan of Crush the Castle I am overjoyed at this game. It has beautiful graphics that fans of CtC will immediately recognise. The characters (enemies) are different but done in the same style as CtC ones. The game is a lot of fun. It has two modes for launching the projectiles:classic (tap to release the catapult, another tap to release the projectile) and precision (you set the angle at which the projectile is released). So far I have tried the classic control method and it plays perfectly.
As you progress additional projectiles are unlocked. You can choose any of the unlocked projectiles to complete the level, but you only get limited number of shots.
Retina graphics are beautiful with very nice backgrounds, nice catapult animation and UI. I have played 12 levels so far but I can already say that the game is great.
I would have preferred Gamecentre over Open Feint though. Its a personal thing. I hate OF as it is slow, esthetically ugly and redundant. These days I always tap "No" on OF screen. Hopefully devs can implement GC integration as an alternative to OF. I know some games do that. That is the only negative I can find with the game now. The actual game is fantastic.

Game also has a level builder, but I haven't tried it yet.
One feature I must mention - Reset button on the game screen. It allows for a quick level reset which is instantaneous.

Before anyone says "this is just a Crush the Castle rip off", as mentioned before, according to Wiki, this game came first. Armor games then asked permission to use the style for their own catapult game and were given such permission by the creator of Castle Clout. It all seems very amicable and I am happy that I can enjoy more of the gameplay that I love.

09-09-2011, 09:18 AM
First of all, I got this game for a couple reasons. First because I love Crush the Castle and a couple other of its variants. Second because the dev is active and has no problem co-existing and allowing others to make their own versions of his great game. That is rare these days as every little bit of a game is microscopically analyzed and if one single element is similar to a game then - sic the seize and desist orders on someone. Without cooperation amongst devs there won't be any growth in each of the genres. So I was pleased to support a dev that had this refreshing attitude.

About the game - love the fact it has two choices for aim. I have been out of the catapult loop for a bit and let's face it, aiming with a catapult is pretty darn hard to get used to. Most times my stones hit about 2 feet in front of the catapult. So this precision aim is awesome for me as I didn't have to re-learn how to shoot the catapult.

Much of the rest is like the games we know, well, because they WERE this game. So no need to get into the levels and design and all. Though this game does have a cooperative build and share your own levels. I don't remember that in any of the other games.

My gripes are minor and hopefully can be addressed easily. The good guys are kind of dark on the screen. And little. Oh so little. I have hit them many times by accident purely because I could not see them. They blending in with the pillar they were on or the background or something. So, some way of making them stand out would be great, or a zoom function. I dunno something - not really a big deal because restarting the level has like zero load time. Push the retry and bam it is loaded. Speaking of reloading, the reset button is instantaneous too. If you want to restart the level there is the button right in front of you - no messing around with menus. There it is.

So, apparently you are marked on each level with gold silver and bronze medals. But you can only see that on the map. It would be cool if at the end of the level you could see how you scored so you didn't have to keep referring to the map screen. Because....

...every time you go to the map screen you are greeted with the Open Feint screen! I have to click that off each and every time you want to check the map. Now I would skip the map as you can just progress from tower to tower. But I want to see the map! I want to see how far I have gone and what my score was. Which are also tiny by the way. Silver is a slight shade off of bronze. I think it is just the whole color scheme used.

Also, it appears you can go anywhere you want on the map. If you hit next in the game level it will bring you on some set order of castles, but from the map it seems that when you pass a certain tower in the beginning, suddenly all 150 are open to you. That is good and bad. They wind around and the path is varied - so making sure you get to all 150 from the map could be tough.

Overall this is a great game. It does seem though that it was a straight port from the PC version without any consideration to the platform (the tininess for example) but that does not diminish the fun other than a few inconveniences that seem inconsistent (speed of level loading vs annoying OF screen to check the map for instance).

I would recommend anyone who loves the genre to support and enjoy the original that inspired them all. After all, without this game, who knows where some of the other games might be.
09-09-2011, 10:14 AM
If someone can't see the obvious relation to Crush the Castle they either never heard of it or are blind... Anyway, building your own levels seems to be cool! I wish Angry Birds would do that...

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
If someone can't see the obvious relation to Crush the Castle they either never heard of it or are blind... Anyway, building your own levels seems to be cool! I wish Angry Birds would do that...
True - but some people have very very narrow tunnel vision and jump to conclusions that what comes first on the app store must have been made first. I think it is important to clarify that this was the granddaddy of them all. Just because it was released after the others does not make it any less of a product, in fact if you played it, you would see this.

Of course it LOOKS like it has a relationship to Crush the Castle, but not in the way many people might think!
09-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback—we'll keep it in mind as we work on updates. Thanks for playing!
09-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I experienced significant slowdowns in some parts of the game. Everything would be going fine and then suddenly the framerate will reduce to a crawl. I know in the past with other games this was associated with OF doing something. I had to shut the game and restart.

09-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback eugekava! We have seen this issue and are working on a fix for a future update.