★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Karate Fighter 1.0

04-29-2009, 03:24 AM
Karate Fighter 1.0

In review now, "Karate Fighter" for ipod/iphone is a loving homage to 70's kung fu movies and classic 80's arcade beat 'em ups.

The game features 8 action packed levels and over a dozen enemies including
grapplers, stick swingers, knife throwers, chain slingers, giant karateka, kickboxers, serpents, dogs, demons, and axe wielding villains.

Rather than using a virtual d-pad, gameplay in the initial release is mapped to a set of contextual buttons to avoid the need for finger gymnastics. For example, a single button press causes the hero to crouch, turns around, and attack to the left.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	karate-intro.png
Views:	44
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	3359   Click image for larger version

Name:	karate-options.png
Views:	18
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	3360   Click image for larger version

Name:	karate-gameplay2.png
Views:	40
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	3361  

04-29-2009, 03:31 AM
wow wow wow, is this what i think it is? my fav all time arcade classic? dare i say it....Kung Fu Master?????

(please say yes)

04-29-2009, 05:39 AM
controls look kinda weird, I wonder how they will work when played and why they aren't shoved into one or two joy sticks/d pads.

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything
04-29-2009, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjleworthy View Post
wow wow wow, is this what i think it is? my fav all time arcade classic? dare i say it....Kung Fu Master?????
Yes it does look a bit like that doesn't it?
I must admit, I am a bit dubious about those controls- it does look like there are just too many imo. Of course, it would be better to see it in action. Have you got a video of it in action you could upload to YouTube and embed it here?
04-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Yes it does look a bit like that doesn't it?
I must admit, I am a bit dubious about those controls- it does look like there are just too many imo. Of course, it would be better to see it in action. Have you got a video of it in action you could upload to YouTube and embed it here?
Yeah, it just looks like too many buttons in an inconvenient area.

Also if there is no video I would love to get some footage of it on the iphone sim and make one for you!

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything
04-29-2009, 05:57 AM
Regardless of the controls and how it plays, I just want to say I love the artwork for the menus- very suitable for the game. It's a pity the character in the game itself doesn't use the same style as the character in the menu.
In fact, it looks like the game screen was made by someone other than the person who designed and drew the menus. The score at the top of the game screen for example, ought to use the same font. Just my opinion.

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 04-29-2009 at 05:59 AM.
04-29-2009, 06:07 AM
if he's a good dev then i'm sure he'll listen to his users. i know loads of others that have changed control systems over before now because of popular public demand.

what does 'in review now' mean? it's been submitted?
04-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjleworthy View Post
if he's a good dev then i'm sure he'll listen to his users. i know loads of others that have changed control systems over before now because of popular public demand.

what does 'in review now' mean? it's been submitted?
I'm assuming that means it's submitted.
But I don't want to be premature about the controls. I don't think it's fair to ask for the controls to be changed just because they 'look' cumbersome. They may actually work well- we won't know until we see them in action I suppose, which is why I asked for a video.
The problem with it is this is going to be a popular first impression, I suspect- and first impressions go a long way.
04-29-2009, 06:34 AM
aye. as long as controls are good then fine. i'll be splashing out a $ or 2 the minute it comes out

next.....roll on PacLand
04-29-2009, 07:30 AM
"in review" = "submitted to apple"

The control overlay looks funny, yes, but it's the result of a lot of playtesting across arcade-savy friends, not-so arcade savy friends, and even my 3 1/2 year old who loves action games. The big fat buttons are super easy to press, so you dont have to worry about lack of gamepad tactile feedback. I have a personal bias against virtual dpads, though in hindsight I probably should have left that as a user option.

No worries - there will definitely be updates.