★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Kyle Langley
  • Genre: Racing
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 112.2 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Rush: Time Trial Racing is an unparalleled 'race against the clock' style iOS game that is ready to challenge you with jumps, twists, turns and speed on five uniquely designed maps!

Vawx's comments:
My game is now up for sale on iTunes!

The game is an 'against the clock' style racing game that features five unique maps, in both directions. The 'reverse' tracks are styled around their 'normal direction' counterpart but are unique in challenges, so I advertise it as ten tracks.

Here are some images of the different tracks and UI:

Larger image HERE

Single, large images here:

Arena Track
Farm Track
Western Track
Building Track
Paris Track

Here is a 'trailer' video of the game, with some game play:

YouTube Link

Here are the iTunes links:
Paid version: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rush-...0040?ls=1&mt=8
Free version: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rush-...7044?ls=1&mt=8

This has been tested on the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, and the iPad. It runs great on all three of these devices; I assume it runs just as well for the iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

---------------------

I started this project the beginning of May and put it up for release it about a week ago. (The Apple review process takes a while.)

Everything in this game is of my design and creation, I didn't use anything that wasn't directly created by me.

I have put together a large chunk of how I made this game on my WEBSITE. If you're up to some reading, you can also download the eleven page PDF of my experiences HERE [Right-Click → Save Target As] (It is just text, no images of the game or Kismet, or anything else. - It's organized relatively well.)

I am planning on adding everything I did to make this game to the site; consider everything you see as a work in progress.

You can also go directly to my website: www.dotVawxGames.com and find out more about the game and myself.

I can be contacted through this thread, the private message system of this forum, through this email: dotvawxgames@gmail.com

Or, you can follow me on:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/dotVawxGames
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/DotVaw...43930948981491

I would love your feedback, please so don't be shy.

Thanks for looking,

Kyle
09-11-2011, 07:19 AM
This really cool. Perfect? No. Cool? Definitely!

Hall of Fame:
1. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP 2. Machinarium 3. Limbo 4. World of Goo 5. Ridiculous Fishing: A Tale of Redemption 6. Home 7. Rayman Jungle Run 8. Space Miner: Space Ore Bust 9. Rage HD 10. 1-Bit Ninja

09-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Teaser:

09-12-2011, 10:51 PM
I tried the lite version. It is buggy, unpolished, the frame rate is less than perfect, and it's unplayable on the iPad due to the placement and size of the on screen controls. The file size is also ridiculously large for what's on offer at face value.

It is also by far the closest thing I've seen on the iOS to Stunt Car Racer, and the core gameplay is pretty spectacular.

I'm not prepared to purchase the full version in its current state, but it would be a shame if it's the state it remains in. I'd say it's about half way to becoming a great game. I'd love to see it get there.

Last edited by Gabrien; 09-13-2011 at 06:06 AM.
09-13-2011, 04:21 PM
add iCade-support and I will buy it

greetings

MJFox
09-13-2011, 11:33 PM
I liked the trial. Ran pretty well on my iPhone 4, haven't tried it on my iPad 1. Noticed a couple hiccups, but not game breaking on the iPhone anyway. Not a fan of the music, but that is easily turned off. Really needs Game Center for both leaderboards and achievements. What good is a time trial game if you have nobody to compete with? Add that and I will buy it...

Game Center ID: Snooptalian
09-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
I tried the lite version. It is buggy, unpolished, the frame rate is less than perfect, and it's unplayable on the iPad due to the placement and size of the on screen controls. The file size is also ridiculously large for what's on offer at face value.

It is also by far the closest thing I've seen on the iOS to Stunt Car Racer, and the core gameplay is pretty spectacular.

I'm not prepared to purchase the full version in its current state, but it would be a shame if it's the state it remains in. I'd say it's about half way to becoming a great game. I'd love to see it get there.
I would appreciate it if you can elaborate on 'it's buggy'. What bugs did you find? Your descriptions can be as simple as 'just after the first jump' or 'just before the third turn'; starting from the start of the race. I know about the re-spawn error to the right of the landing of the second jump. A fix is in review.

As for your performance issues, I am not sure what to say. It runs fine on every device I have tested it on which includes the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, and the iPad.

I'm sorry you feel the UI is clunky. It's a delicate thing, trying to match touch buttons to everyone who might play it. I'll see if I can get more feedback and make some changes to it.

I'll look into reducing the file size but 55 MB seemed reasonable for the Lite / free version.

As the sole developer and publisher of this, I appreciate the feedback.
09-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vawx View Post
I would appreciate it if you can elaborate on 'it's buggy'. What bugs did you find? Your descriptions can be as simple as 'just after the first jump' or 'just before the third turn'; starting from the start of the race. I know about the re-spawn error to the right of the landing of the second jump. A fix is in review.

As for your performance issues, I am not sure what to say. It runs fine on every device I have tested it on which includes the iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, and the iPad.

I'm sorry you feel the UI is clunky. It's a delicate thing, trying to match touch buttons to everyone who might play it. I'll see if I can get more feedback and make some changes to it.

I'll look into reducing the file size but 55 MB seemed reasonable for the Lite / free version.

As the sole developer and publisher of this, I appreciate the feedback.
The car frequently gets "stuck" on edges of track, making it not possible to either go forward or reverse. Without a "reset" button the only option is to quit and restart the whole run.

On a number of occasions after falling off the track the car wasn't reset properly.

The frame rate takes a significant dive when going around corners at speed. The faster you take a corner the worse the frame rate drop.

As for the iPad, I simply cannot reach the "inside" buttons comfortably with my thumbs. You're right about it being difficult to please everyone in that respect; that's precisely why on-screen controls for iPad games should always be freely customizable, preferably both in size and location, but location at the very least.

Sorry it took me so long to respond; I only just saw your questions.