★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Lost Bytes
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 225.1 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: "Ancient Trader HD is quite the steal at $2.99" - AppAdvice.com

Ancient trader is a quick, pick-up-and play arcade family-entertainment strategy game in the style of digital distribution titles like Carcassonne and Catan for open target groups on iPad.The thunder of the sea and the smell of exotic spices accompany your journey as you discover new islands with thriving ports full of exotic goods. Sail through unknown waters where no ship has gone before, compete with other exploring traders, fight mythical sea-monsters and gather ancient artefacts that lead to the legendary treasure.

the9quad's comments:

great game has single player and hot seat mp.
09-11-2011, 05:57 PM
no more info???

09-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Agreed. Graphics look intriguing. Would love a vid for more description. I clicked the linked in the hopes of seeing the home site to hopefully provide a greater level of detail, but none found on the iTunes app page.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 09-11-2011 at 06:11 PM.
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Here is a mini review:

The game is a turn base game where each player moves his ship at a time.
On your turn you can visit ports, fight monsters, fight another ship, or collect power ups. There are several ports on each map and when you visit a port you can do one of 4 things: purchase 1 of 3 goods to trade, accept a quest, upgrade your ship, or purchase an artifact. There are 3 areas in which your ship can be upgraded: combat,cargo capacity, or distance.

Combat is via a card system. Your ship has 3 cards:red,blue, and green. You play against the enemies 3 cards. Red gains 2 attack against blue, blue gains against green, and green gains against red. You take turns playing a card until the losers cars are destroyed. By upgrading your cards in the ports, you stand a better chance in combat.

Trading is very simple and easy, you buy some of the 3 goods at a low price and sail to a port where you can sell it for a profit. Questing is similarly simple, you accept a quest to visit a port or destroy a monster, accomplish the goal in a set amount of turns and receive your gold reward.

The game can be played for several victory conditions. You can set it up so winning is accomplished by a certain gold amount, an accumulated amount, or by collecting the 3 artifacts ( which allow you to find the ancient guardian) and killing the ancient guardian.

The game can be learned in about 5 minutes, as it is pretty simple, but there is also slot of strategy involved. The maps can also vary in size and type.

As far as the graphics go: it's like playing on an old weathered map, it's really artistically impressive. If your someone who has to have the latest shaders and graphical trickery you will probably be disappointed though, as it has none of that. The sound is similarly well done and classy with appropriate wood instruments, clashing of swords and whatnot. I love saying whatnot btw.

Anyway if you want a really well done tbs board game where the rules and gameplay are not overly complicated but belie the depth available, then I can say this is a 5 star game for you. If you don't have people to play hotseat mp with I would give it 4 stars. Hopefully they will add some asynchronous play when ios5 rolls around.
09-11-2011, 06:45 PM
I forgot to mention this is a port of a xbox live and pc game so there are a ton of reviews of the game if you google for it. Also the dev does have a web page up of the game and a Facebook page as well.
09-11-2011, 06:47 PM
This is a fantastic game, it really is. However, it was already on the app store once, and was removed a week or two ago. I can't download it anymore, however; it wants me to buy it again (maybe it switched publishers?)

Kinda frustrating for me, but you should all buy the game. It's great.

09-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks to the9quad and soldat. The vid and all the game-related accoutrements (OST, walls, etc.) on the dev home site are pretty amazing.

Edit: Wow. After trolling on the dev's site, I was impressed. I'm buying this sucker right now.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 09-11-2011 at 07:04 PM.
09-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the impressions. I'm a sucker for well executed strategy board games for iOS. The teaser video on the Devs site sealed the deal. I can't wait to see how much better it looks on my iPad 2 once it's done downloading.

Game Center: Diligence
09-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I played the regular version on iPhone. The graphics are nice, but the combat is lacking in depth. It is not the sort of game that compels me to play it again and again.

Then you need to dip your fingers in some mayo and smear it all over your iDevice screen for greater REALISM!
--Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan
09-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
I played the regular version on iPhone. The graphics are nice, but the combat is lacking in depth. It is not the sort of game that compels me to play it again and again.
Yeah the combat isn't the focus, it's the race to win which means you have to balance trading, attacking your opponent, amassing your upgrades, and racing to kill the ancient trader first. Not to mention buying the artifacts first which makes them more expensive for your opponent. I think if you play the harder ai or a real opponent, you'd see it isn't so simple. Then again it might be too simple for ya, that was just my opinion after all, and I'm no expert for sure.

Last edited by the9quad; 09-11-2011 at 09:21 PM.