★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Trixel: New 'thinker's' puzzler ($2.99 -> $0.99)

04-29-2009, 01:10 PM
PROMO CONTEST! Trixel: New 'thinker's' puzzler ($2.99 -> $0.99)

If anyone in the U.S fancies laying some brutally honest reviews, I have 5 promo codes to give out.

As for the game, the premise is simple;
  1. You flip the tiles on the board to match the tile pattern on the top left of the screen.
  2. You do this with a cursor you can only move one space at a time, vertically or horizontally, and you have limited moves to solve the puzzle.

To keep things varied, fresh and challenging throughout, Trixel introduces new obstacles (super tiles) every 8 stages which encourages players to think strategically about how to solve each of Trixel’s 100 total puzzles.

Additionally, Trixel offers a Race the Clock mode that compiles 12 stages and runs them back-to-back with a time limit. Despite an infinite number of moves to solve each puzzle and tap & slide gameplay functionality, the Race the Clock mode is still a thinker's game requiring players to come up with unique solutions for each stage.

And here’s our video trailer –> http://vimeo.com/4287705 !

Here's a website for the team I'm a part of who built the game:

We're looking to host a dev blog soon detailing the journey of building our game, which will hopefully be of some educational use to those looking to break in the biz.

ALL PROMO CODES NOW GONE. If I get more to spare later, I'll post up the request email again.

Last edited by Dan Boutros; 05-20-2009 at 09:56 PM.
04-29-2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks, will post review to itunes. Have to wait until later to download to iphone.

04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Bought it earlier today and have gone through the easy levels now. I'm thinking about moving on to the medium levels later, but I'm a bit afraid that my brain will start to hate me.

I feel smart now, but I bet I'll fail and fail again once the game steps up the difficulty.

Great presentation and design, good use of colours, really easy to pick up and play and the different special abilities I've encountered add a lot to the gameplay.

The bronze/silver/gold awards on the levels are really tempting me to go back and try for a better playthrough, with less moves, so that I can see the gold award everywhere (I like the little touch with small bits of information on the puzzle page).

The only thing that I don't like is the background image, behind the puzzles. I'd like to have just a black background. That might sound boring, and it's nothing that detracts from the game as it is right now. I'd just like it a bit more clean.

Anyway: great puzzle game.
04-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey Dan Picked this up today, will post some impressions in the next couple of days.

Don't check this site or private messages often.
04-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks dudes.
04-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Thank you for the code. Feedback later today.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
Thank you for the code. Feedback later today.
Carlos, I'd be interested in seeing whether you recommend this or CornerChaos. I just can't buy them all!
04-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Carlos, I'd be interested in seeing whether you recommend this or CornerChaos. I just can't buy them all!
CornerChaos and Trixel are completely different games though both are puzzles.

CornerChaos is a dynamic puzzle: every time you play it a different game is generated.

Trixel is a static leveled puzzle: there are some pre-defined puzzles to solve.

I like the dynamic puzzles more but that's just me...

However, Trixel is a really nice surprise. The gameplay is based on flipping tiles but there are more to do than just beat a level and go to the next one.

Along with bronze/silver/gold awards you can also collect crystals to add more resources to help you go to the next puzzle (e.g. undo and skip features).

Get all gold awards will unlock the bonus levels.

In addition to all that the board is not the same all the time. You'll find tiles that'll let you move on in all directions or tiles that can transport you to another tile and so on.

Those details make the gameplay really interesting and NOT boring. If you didn't get a gold in one puzzle you can try later and advance through new levels without getting stuck. It adds to the replay value for sure.

The presentation is great. Good graphics and animations, subtle sounds, nice background music and a polished interface.

It also has a "Record" section where you can easily follow your performance.

There are 100 levels and a "Race the Clock" mode that I could not find how to unlock it (at least the help did not mentioned and tapping it does not pop any information about it which one could expect).

In resume, it's a great puzzle game that deserves more attention from reviewers out there.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
04-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Would have overlooked this game if I had not seen your video trailer.. looks great. I am surprised more developers don't have reactions of people playing their game. You are the first I have seen.. anyone seen another?
04-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey Carlos; very happy you enjoyed the game

If you could share your thoughts on the App Store, I'll thank you with a beer if you make it to E3