★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Upcoming Monster Wars game from the Creative Director of The Batman cartoon

09-13-2011, 04:12 AM
Monster Wars - from the Creative Director of The Batman cartoon

Touch Arcade Forum Peoples!

Massive Joe Studios is excited to give a sneak preview of our first title, Monster Wars: Rocks Paper Scissors. When we started this game, our one guiding principal was, "If Michael Bay were to make a Rocks Paper Scissor game, what would that look like?" (or, IMBWTMARPSGWWTLL for short). We'd like to think Monster Wars is that game. MW is an asynchronous, Words With Friends style game where you can send your friends challenges, include trash talk, and a friendly wager ("loser has to buy dinner" "loser has to wear their underwear outside of their pants for a day"..you get the point). The game features eight iconic monsters battling out to determine the ruler of the world. These characters are created by Jeff Matsuda, Emmy Award winning Producer and Creative Director behind The Batman cartoon series.

We're targeting an October launch date. Here's a look at our first character, tentatively called Mas Matiki:

Mas is a space alien sent to planet earth to determine whether or not it had suitable resources for the Devornian race to occupy. Here's a video preview of Mas doing his Rocks Paper Scissor move:

Youtube link | Pop Up

As you'd imagine, Mas likes brain teasers (rim shot!).

And now for some fun. Below is a picture of our character lineup with all the other characters blacked out (oooooh, mysterious.....). If you can guess what any of the other monsters are, we'll send you an autographed printout (by Jeff Matsuda, of course, cause you probably don't give a crap about our dev guy, who is deeply offended by that) of that character (we were going to offer vinyl toy versions, but then we checked the pricing, vomited, and remembered that we are an indie studio). And if you ever see us in person, we will personally give you the most awesomest high five evar.

For one random person, we'll also send an autographed printout of our full character lineup. That will be signed by our lawyer, who is an awesome guy but has nothing to do with the game.

Let us know what you think! And let the guessing begin! Check back for more photos as we'll reveal one character a day (or around that), and like our Facebook Fan Page to stay posted on updates!!

Last edited by MassiveJoe; 09-13-2011 at 12:58 PM.
09-13-2011, 04:49 AM
Very cool! Love the idea behind it and the awesome art design. Nice work guys!

I'm on the twitters! @sidetwo

09-13-2011, 08:04 AM
OMG. So awesome

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Day 2 - Introducing Prototype MJS7

Thanks for the kind words so far. Today we're introducing Prototype MJS7, the killer robot. Here's his yearbook picture:

Prototype MJS7 is the last in a series of prosumer killing machines. Proto-M, as he is called by his robot buddies, was purposely programed wrong, as a joke. As a result, he is incapable of depth perception. Luckily his cannons blast everything in their path and do not rely on depth perception.

Here's Proto-M in action:

Youtube link | Pop Up

As I said last time, we're trying to make the baddest, most awesomest version of Rocks Paper Scissors ever!

Don't forget to give us your thoughts. Here's the updated lineup, if you guess what the other guys are we'll send you a prize (mentioned in first post).

And, as always, if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it, and you should like our Fan Page. And tell other people about this!!!
09-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Oh wow, that gun is so impressive that he has

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
09-14-2011, 04:01 PM
really impressed by the artwork - looks console quality! nice work MassiveJoe!
09-15-2011, 11:42 AM
A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I wanna see the gameplay!

Mind Gamer
09-15-2011, 12:04 PM
is the second to last picture a Sasquatch of some kind and the two little ones children of the corn lol great art by the way

Game center:dreadnokv1/ Twitter:@dreadnokv1
Ravenmark:Scourge of Estellion Best TBS since Advance Wars http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/raven...6806?ls=1&mt=8
09-15-2011, 03:37 PM
I love the robot character. The speed at which he goes from picking scissors to opening fire with all the guns was perfectly timed.

Toy Soldier Community Manager for Toy Studio Games
09-15-2011, 05:24 PM

AWESOME looking. Another game to keep on my radar.