Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-14-2011, 06:18 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Default Flick Champions HD - (by Chillingo) - Universal App

iPhone Only Version: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=107011

Last edited by Echoseven; 09-14-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 AM

Looking forward to anyone reporting back if it is worth getting it
Old 09-14-2011, 08:53 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Buying this for sure, I love the idea and the local tournament bracket will be fun.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:59 PM

HD Gameplay Trailer (iPad 2):

Note:

First 15. Minutes of Gameplay
Old 09-14-2011, 07:20 PM
iPad mini

Anyone tried this yet? Ordinarily I'd just jump in and buy it straightaway, but my iTunes credit has taken a battering recently and a 1.99 ($2.99) download will halve my balance!

That being said, I'm really hoping it's as good as it looks!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

Not sure about this one yet. Only four events are available at the start, with the other four unlockable through IAP or through (what appears to be) a lengthy accumulation of in-game points.

Of those four initial events, one is basically Pong, while another is Air Hockey. Not exactly inspiring. The remaining two initial events are more interesting though.

Not sure this will hold my interest long enough to unlock all of the remaining events.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:44 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

just got the game and it's pretty good
graphics are sharp and the gameplay is solid

also I just unlocked additional games - bowling and archery, both are great (bowling especially - it seems to be my favorite)

even the simpler games puts some kind of a twists to the formula (tennis uses a power shot mechanics that makes the game more interesting)

i'm not regretting the purchase

Last edited by Rissqua; 09-15-2011 at 03:23 AM..
Old 09-17-2011, 02:47 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Flick Champions HD is really a fresh take on sports gaming, it packs major bang-for-the-buck, the graphics are excellent, and it's polished to perfection.

The game consists of eight different sporting events, some of which need experience points to unlock, and any event can be played in Exhibition Mode or Cup Mode. Exhibition is a one-off match that provides a little XP, but Cup is a full-on multi-match tournament that provides XP for each match-up in the ladder.

The gameplay is oftentimes quite different from game to game, but most feel like dexterity board games, with hip little wooden blockheads for players (seriously, the devs should pitch a branded version of this to Lego). Soccer, for instance, has a field of stationary players and the ball gravitates toward the nearest player, so you have to pass it around on the pitch, then score a goal. In Basketball, you simply aim at the basket with each of your players, then shoot by dictating the angle and speed or length of your swipe. Hockey is much like Table Hockey. Mini-golf is excellent and it is much like you would imagine it (although without a windmill). Some of these may seem underwhelming, at first, but when viewed in the aggregate, it adds up to a worthwhile experience, in my opinion.

When you start to collect XP and unlock new sports, the game really starts to shine. The Archery game is dead-on perfect; I would pay a buck for that title alone! It's top-view, with you and your opponent each in your own lane, and the target is placed at one of several predefined distances. The windsock kicks up with a strength and direction and you have to draw the bow, set the angle and strength of the shot, then release. The arrow soars through the air and hits with a satisfying puff of dust and a player-facing target appears to show where your shot landed.

In each of these games, enough skill is needed to make it worthwhile, but as the title suggests, simple flicking is always the core mechanic, which just feels right to me. This is true for many of the sports and I can't wait to play it with my 5-year-old daughter, since I have yet to mention the best part...every event has a versus mode.

I'm a board game fanatic, so this game may very well appeal to me more than others, but I'm certainly happy with the purchase and wanted to share my findings.

Last edited by djflippy; 09-17-2011 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 09-17-2011, 06:48 AM
iPad Air

Default This is flicking fun

This is the most fun I've had with an iOS game in a long time. Some of the games are more challenging and interesting than others, but all offer some degree of challenge and visual appeal. The tennis game is probably the weakest of the bunch (basically it's pong on steroids with little resemblance to tennis and no adherence to the rules of tennis), but the minigolf, archery, bowling and soccer games are more than worth the purchase price.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

http://bit.ly/nXw3Db
VIDEO REVIEW