★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Paul Bryant
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 9.2 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 4 (1)
App description: Arm your cannons to battle the invaders, collect power-ups, score points, and earn achievements, across five challenging difficulty levels and two unique game modes.

Easy to learn, but hard to master, Xurge will test the reflexes of even the most experienced tap based game fan.

Features

- Retro style graphics.
- Suitable for all ages.
- Simple and addictive one-touch based game-play.
- Two unique game modes.
- 5 levels of difficulty designed to challenge your speed, skill and accuracy.
- Game Center Enabled.
- OpenFeint Enabled.
- Free Updates.

pbryant's comments:
Hello all,

I'm just posting to announce the release of our two person indie team's first game on the app store... Xurge!

Quote:
Arm your cannons to battle the invaders, collect power-ups, score points, and earn achievements, across five challenging difficulty levels and two unique game modes.
Easy to learn, but hard to master, Xurge will test the reflexes of even the most experienced tap based game fan.

Features...

- Retro style graphics.
- Suitable for all ages.
- Simple and addictive one-touch based game-play.
- Two unique game modes.
- 5 levels of difficulty designed to challenge your speed, skill and accuracy.
- Game Center Enabled.
- OpenFeint Enabled.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Sorry about the low video quality!

Thanks for looking!

Comments, reviews, and ratings would be very much appreciated if anyone tries it out. We could certainly use all the help we can get.
09-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Can you post some game video?

09-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Posting a gameplay video would go a long way.
For example, judging from the screenshots, we have no idea how the controls work. Do you just tap a turret to fire?

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
09-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys, I'll edit the post shortly with a video! My hardware is pretty terrible at that sort of thing but I will try to figure something out.

It uses a completely single-tap based control system.
09-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
You select which of the 4 guns you'd like to use, and then tap the fire button on the bottom...

There is no help screen or tutorial when you first play, but if you don't touch anything at the main menu screen, it'll start playing a demo, and you can watch and see how it's done in there...

You can tap on the guns to change the way they fire... you'll need to do this when taking out the blue and red enemies, the blue on the gun means that you can destroy blue and grey ships, and the grey on the gun means that you can take out red and grey ships... =oD

The chain system is kinda nifty too... don't know if it ever effects the score though...

K... yes, the chain system effects the score - every time you get 10 kills in a row without missing one or mis-firing a blue shot at a red enemy or something... you'll get bonus points for that 10th kill... and the bonus points go up as the chain count does... =o)

Looks like this might be a good game for a Bullet Hell Fanatics Competition! =oD

Last edited by syntheticvoid; 09-14-2011 at 05:39 PM.
09-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
You select which of the 4 guns you'd like to use, and then tap the fire button on the bottom...

There is no help screen or tutorial when you first play, but if you don't touch anything at the main menu screen, it'll start playing a demo, and you can watch and see how it's done in there...

You can tap on the guns to change the way they fire... you'll need to do this when taking out the blue and red enemies, the blue on the gun means that you can destroy blue and grey ships, and the grey on the gun means that you can take out red and grey ships... =oD

The chain system is kinda nifty too... don't know if it ever effects the score though...

K... yes, the chain system effects the score - every time you get 10 kills in a row without missing one or mis-firing a blue shot at a red enemy or something... you'll get bonus points for that 10th kill... and the bonus points go up as the chain count does... =o)

Looks like this might be a good game for a Bullet Hell Fanatics Competition! =oD
Looks like you have it figured out! We'll probably include a "how to play" button that either shows instructions or runs the demo, in the next update. The idea was to sort of capture that retro-arcade machine feel by having the demo show you how to play, and leaving certain things to be figured out by the player, but maybe that was hoping for more than the general audience are looking for.

Last edited by pbryant; 09-14-2011 at 06:11 PM.
09-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Nevermind... Figured it out.

Game Center ID: Snooptalian

Last edited by Snooptalian; 09-14-2011 at 06:17 PM.
09-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryant View Post
Looks like you have it figured out! We'll probably include a "how to play" button that either shows instructions or runs the demo, in the next update. The idea was to sort of capture that retro-arcade machine feel by having the demo show you how to play, and leaving certain things to be figured out by the player, but maybe that was hoping for more than the general audience are looking for.
Nah... it only took a minute to figure out... and if players don't want to spend a minute to figure out how a game plays... chances are they aren't your main audience?

I really like the way it shows you with the demo now... it is very reminiscent of old arcade games.

I do like the controls, and mechanics, as well as the scoring system. Hopefully I can get better at quickly activating guns... I've been playing on Extreme difficulty... and it seems like a quick double tap on guns to activate them and change their firing type would be nice, but would also take away from the action filled gameplay, and make it a little too easy to get shots off quickly.

On Normal difficulty the double tap would just totally let you fly through levels, and on Easy, you could just blow the enemy out of the water without even thinking about it... so I'm glad that you put a delay in the timing for taps. =oD

This is quite the addictive game... the rest of my night is shot... =oD
09-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
This is quite the addictive game... the rest of my night is shot... =oD
Thanks much!

---

Updated the original post with a gameplay video. Sorry about the low quality, I will try to replace it with something better as soon as I can get hold of a newer camera setup.