★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Mouse House, Dropped to 0.99!!!

11-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
Mouse House, Dropped to 0.99!!!

dropped to 0.99 now. thinking of finally taking a bite...

how is this game?

Last edited by superbad; 11-09-2008 at 11:45 PM.
11-09-2008, 11:38 PM

11-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
dropped to 0.99 now. thinking of finally taking a bite...

how is this game?
it's not bad. worth $0.99. it's sort of like loopy laboratory. similar level-based puzzles and obstacles.

I have issue with the control system. same problem with pathways, in that you have to tap on the screen relative to your character. I find it awkward.

arn
11-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Bought it, like it. But I'll wait with playing more until the update arrives, because it currently has no sound and the control scheme sucks big. Should be like in mouse about or bomberman.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
11-10-2008, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Bought it, like it. But I'll wait with playing more until the update arrives, because it currently has no sound and the control scheme sucks big. Should be like in mouse about or bomberman.
As the creators of Mouse House We have to disagree here.

Both My self and Alex think Bomberman has one of the worst possible control systems on the iphone.

Reading through the bomberman reviews many user found it very frustrating.

Personally it makes my thumb cramp up even trying to use it like a D-Pad

The mouse about system is interesting.
Not sure it would work good for Mouse House as it does not allow
for the fast control needed to dodge enemies in an arcade game.

Right now we are designing all of out control schemes and engines around what have been proven to work well on a DS with a stylus for input.
11-10-2008, 04:22 AM
Hmm. Do you see differences between Bomberman and Mouse About? I also don't like the Bomberman scheme in faster levels, but for slower levels it works nice and you can change the direction without the need of another tap.

In Mouse House I often run into the wrong direction, because I tap on the low right of the mouse and want it to run to the left, but it then runs down... It's also difficult to move the mouse when you are in the bottom left corner, because there's also the pause button and since you have to tap left of the mouse, you sometimes hit the pause button.

I would really prefer an input method like Mouse About has. And of course, swiping everywhere is easier the tapping at a specific position.

--
taptoplay.de

11-10-2008, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
I have issue with the control system. same problem with pathways, in that you have to tap on the screen relative to your character. I find it awkward.
What other control scheme would work here? Is what annoys you that sometimes it's hard to press relative to the character?
The only thing I could come up with was a virtual dpad or something, but maybe I'm missing the point.
11-10-2008, 05:13 AM
In Mouse About you just tap anywhere on the screen and then swipe into the direction you want to go. That's very intuitive and fast and does not involve repositioning your finger every time and hiding where you wanna go.

Also, Mouse About displays a little display when you start the tap. Without the tap, there's no on-screen-display.

--
taptoplay.de

11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Not sure I understand why there should be such a problem moving an on-screen character...

Surely the most logical method is:
- Swipe once in any direction to move one space in that direction.
- Swipe-and-hold in any direction to continue moving in that direction.

Easy, yes?

I can't say I've tried out this game yet, as the reviews berating the control system put me off it somewhat, but at a mere 59p now, I'll download it and give it a whirl.

Arn's comparison of this game to Loopy Laboratory is what's mainly selling it to me though.
Speaking of which, now there's a game that adopts the control method I outlined above, and that game works brilliantly!

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
11-10-2008, 09:03 AM
They have both ways, but instead of swiping you tap. And therefore you have to tap near the character, so that the game knows which direction (relative to the character) you mean.

--
taptoplay.de